Jasper Steverlinck covers "United States Of Eurasia" at the "I <3 Eu" festival

frankaa

Jasper Steverlinck just did a cover of United States of Eurasia at the "I <3 EU" festival in Brussels..

Watched it on the live stream here

http://www.eutrio.be/multimedia

and here:

http://ec.europa.eu/avservices/player/streaming.cfm?type=ebsLive

I hope there is a video of it after the live stream is over..:stunned:

omg sounded horrible!!! sorry but that happens when you touch Muse!!

I just had a look at the website again and they uploaded a short summary of all the performances.. you can see Jasper Steverlinck in the "I <3 EU" video at 2:11

http://www.eutrio.be/multimedia

They really seemed to like Muse, they even stole the flying balloon idea at the beginning of the vid!;)

yeah an orchestra that accompanied all musicians at the festival played collateral damage, it was the best part of the performance actually..;)

can´t find a video though, I hope they will upload all the videos on one of the websites above.. I don´t know if Jasper Steverlinck is famous enough that this specific performance will make an appearance on youtube..

Well, he's got one big plus going for him... a very distinctive name, at least! I haven't heard of a pianist/singer with a marquee like that since Engelbert Humperdinck [sp.?]...

No you're not. I find it ironic too.

I think USoE can be taken in more than one way, it can be taken as a patrotric attack on America, basically saying that if we all get together, we can be more powerful and better than you, so stop messing with us; or it can be a satire mocking America; or it can be about an end to war and power through unity; but ultimately Collateral Damage hints at the dangers of superstates so I suppose in that way it it's ironic to use it, though it was probably used to celebrate the power of unity.

Anyway the vocal in the clip isn't too good.

I think USoE can be taken in more than one way, it can be taken as a patrotric attack on America, basically saying that if we all get together, we can be more powerful and better than you, so stop messing with us; or it can be a satire mocking America; or it can be about an end to war and power through unity; but ultimately Collateral Damage hints at the dangers of superstates so I suppose in that way it it's ironic to use it, though it was probably used to celebrate the power of unity.

That's a very nice way of saying that the song's political message is hopelessly muddled and incoherent. ;)

That's a very nice way of saying that the song's political message is hopelessly muddled and incoherent. ;)

No it's a way of saying that it's open to interpretation by the listener which is the best way imo and has always been Matt's intention from what he has said. Ultimately he's an artist not a political campaigner. It's only my interpretation anyway.

Am I the only one who finds it highly ironic that they are playing USoE, a song obstensibly railing against superstate totalitarianism, at an EU event?

Well, the EU isn't a totalitarian superstate, so it's not ironic. :erm:

I was at the gig and I must admit that my very first reaction was more or less the same as spark_... But then I gave it a second thought and I must say that I totally agree with CarrieB:

No it's a way of saying that it's open to interpretation by the listener which is the best way imo and has always been Matt's intention from what he has said. Ultimately he's an artist not a political campaigner. It's only my interpretation anyway.

Oh and as for the performance itself: despite the fact that it wasn't Matt on stage there, it gave me goosebumps as the orchestra sounded amazing, and Jasper Steverlinck did quite a good job after all. He's known as a good, well-respected vocalist in Belgium, but it's always "dangerous" to cover a song like that and it's not the kind of vocals that any male singer could sing. I loved the performance, and all the acrobatics and visual effects going with it :happy:

I was at the gig and I must admit that my very first reaction was more or less the same as spark_... But then I gave it a second thought and I must say that I totally agree with CarrieB:

Oh and as for the performance itself: despite the fact that it wasn't Matt on stage there, it gave me goosebumps as the orchestra sounded amazing, and Jasper Steverlinck did quite a good job after all. He's known as a good, well-respected vocalist in Belgium, but it's always "dangerous" to cover a song like that and it's not the kind of vocals that any male singer could sing. I loved the performance, and all the acrobatics and visual effects going with it :happy:

I saw the performance on tv yesterday and I really liked it with the orchestra and the acrobats in the air. Usually I'm not too fond of all the theatrical stuff, but I really liked it this way. Not sure about Jasper's vocals though, he has a good voice, but he didn't really show it for this song I feel. Still okay though.

Oh, and at the start of Collateral Damage the commentator started talking through it. I was like 'arghh shut up!' :LOL: Luckily he did not long after.

Matt has said that it is about America controlling the rest of the world via the annexation/proxy creation of a superstate.

Anyway, I just find it interesting because I'm not sure Matt entirely sees eye to eye with the EU.

• 3 months later...

Archived