why is it that everyone on the internet thinks that it is clever to pretend that gay isn't an insult and that it always referes to homo sexuality

gay has become an insult that's meaning has evolved beyond insulting a person for being homosexual. most people have realized insulting someone's sexuality is just dumb, so the meaning of gay used as an insult is usually just a generic term used to insult someone.

and don't say that gay always means homo sexuality because it also is a synonym for happy

So you're implying that calling somebody 'happy' is insulting.

Matt Bellamy's an artist.

And if you listen closely, most bands produce songs that have lyrics that at some point don't make any damn sense. Metal and Rap do it the most.

But as it happens, Matt Bellamy's lyric style seems to either be a stream of consciousness relating to specific issues, or they are derived from thousands of ideas put into as few words as possible. Given the intricacies of the themes found in their albums, I wouldn't doubt if Matt Bellamy was smart enough to do such things.

Or maybe he's just a bad writer. At times, I think he might be a little off. For the most part, however, Bellamy does write songs that have lyrics which can be interpreted in a multitude of ways, which makes his songs more appealing.

This of course could be demonstrated by songs like Assassin and Exo-Politics. The original lyrics for these songs are far more direct to the point that the songs are trying to make, but the finished product lyrics are more easily interpreted in multiple ways.

where do i start.

actual: Royal Canadian blended

what nicola hears:Royal Canadian bandits.

actual: Stretch it like a birth squeeze

what nicola hears:stretch it like a bucks fizz.

actual: Our wrongs remain unrectified

what nicola hears: our words remain unrectified

actual: And she'll burn our horizons make no mistake

what nicola hears: And she'll burn and the raisins make no mistake

and upon first listening to muscle museum..

"I have played in every toilet"... surely not... i'll go look the the lyrics! ....oh.

Haha! I used to think it was "royal canadian bandits"

But then i looked at the lyrics...o.O

The toilet thing made me go check too ^_^

Re: Zerikou: I totally agree. Lyrics aren't just about meaning; they can be just as artistic as poetry. Assassin is a great example. Sorry if I gave the impression that I only wanted a straightforward interpretation of lyrics instead of taking the artistry into account.

Re: the lyrics of Screenager, Musewiki reckons "It is about technology and how it separates people even further rather than bringing them closer together... also about self-harm". Personally I reckon it's about a person who has changed for the worse. The narrator is urging them to "remember who you were", because "who you were was so beautiful". But something has happened to that person causing them to change, putting "holes in our souls", "scars on your skin", "cracks" in the mirror, and making them unrecognisable to their family. No idea about the "post no bills" part though; I always laugh when I hear it.

Ok, I know there was a misheard lyrics thread on the board that died but as it was one of my favorite threads and that I'm sure that there are more misheard lyrics, don't be embarrassed and share them so we can all laugh at our deafness!

Ok so let's start.

"It wont be long, before I disturb you in the dark always"

sounded to me like:

"It wont be long, before I just stab you in the dark"

"now that you know i'm trapped

sense of elation"

sounded to me like:

"now that you know i'm trapped

since ovulation"

omg that's freaking hilarious...LMAO

i know i have some misheard lyrics but i can't think of any at the moment

when i do, i'll most definately post some :]

I personally find the lyrics to 'You F*cking Motherf*cker' extremely moving and poignant, especially the lyrics pertaining to 'eee-deee-deee-diddle-iddle-eee-deee-dee' a perfect example of the intentional cross-examination of the glass-like fragility of the human condition. Those few disjointed fragments convey volumes to me, speaking of a man who has loved, lost and found again in thirty short years. A man who is trapped by the fleshy limitations of his weak, human body and yet revels in it, warning us all of the dangers of naive transhumanism.

LOL!

Seriously, though, the most 'WTF?' lyrics to me are those of Sober. Not because of their lack of context in the song itself, but simply because... It's a drinking song. From Muse. Errr...

Really very strange. Ode to my liquor cabinet?

• 2 weeks later...
Why must you be so analytical of everything?

I am sure that Matt had reasons and meaning to everything when he first wrote the words, however either through time or memory loss or simple laughs at throwing people off the track if you were to ask him to explain lyrics from songs written ages ago (or even recently for that matter) you wouldn't get a straight or correct answer. You would probably come out more confused than before you had asked in fact.

I think the whole idea of any song lyric that isn't explicitly explanitory in its meaning, is to find your own meaning in the lyrics. It is another way of enjoying the music on a different level.

I agree. Some lyrics have different meanings to everyone, that's just the way it is sometimes. Some lyrics have a straight-forward meaning but some drive your mind wild. As much as I'd love to understand EVERY bit of Matt's lyrics, I don't think its possible to get into that man's mind haha

:D

Guest Lauren_Guyott

I bet most of you who have actually attempted to analyse the lyrics take english or media

maybe, just a thought here, maybe he just wrote the first scrambled up shit that came to his head, its not unusual for people to just write with no thought track at all, hence why this explanation of what i'm saying is so incoherent.

Just bare that in mind!

It could just be because he wrote it, and it sounded good!

Archived