February 2019 Guitar World interview with Matt

Gemsy

Oh! According to Matt I was ahead of my time! I always loved different styles of music, started with Pop, then Soul, Funk, Rock, classical, some Blues, some electro ... Not really in that order maybe :classic_laugh:

good interview! Yeah, the take-songs-you-like-and -be-happy part pffff ... really? 

Well, I think underneath that rigidness is often a buried compliment, in that some people fall in love so much with a certain song or certain album that you did that they don’t really like the idea of your changing in any way. If anything, it’s just symbolic of a moment in time where they really connected with your music. And I mean, you can’t expect somebody to absorb all eight albums that we’ve done in the same way and to love them all equally. Everybody’s going to like certain things more than others... And just take from it what you want. Take what you love from what we do, and you don’t have to listen to anything else that you don’t want to.” And hopefully, maybe one or two of these songs we’re adding to that big body of work might end up becoming loved as well.”

💕 Exactly. 

• Like 3

That's perhaps the most self-aware thing Matt's come up with in the past 15 years - and I get it, I really do. Even if the past FIVE Muse albums have deviated further and further from the band I loved in 2001-2005. Hey ho. I'm pretty sanguine about it these days - every album delivers 3/4 more songs I love, and ST is no different really.

• Like 2

As I said to my mates the other day, I have been in my current tiny band for nearly 2 years, and in that time we've ditched 8 songs that we worked really hard on. We spent money practicing them and recording demos. People told us they liked them, one dude even requests one of them lol, but we can't play them now. We're just not into them.

You can't yell at a band to play album tracks from 20 years ago. There are probably thousands of Muse songs that we'd all absolutely adore that will never see the light of day. Nobody can claim ownership of art like that. Literally, all we can do is take it (or leave it) for what it is. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JessicaSarahS said:

Well, I think underneath that rigidness is often a buried compliment, in that some people fall in love so much with a certain song or certain album that you did that they don’t really like the idea of your changing in any way. If anything, it’s just symbolic of a moment in time where they really connected with your music. And I mean, you can’t expect somebody to absorb all eight albums that we’ve done in the same way and to love them all equally. Everybody’s going to like certain things more than others... And just take from it what you want. Take what you love from what we do, and you don’t have to listen to anything else that you don’t want to.” And hopefully, maybe one or two of these songs we’re adding to that big body of work might end up becoming loved as well.”

💕 Exactly. 

A great interview! 

I totally agree with Matt!