Simulation Theory Tour Live gig discussion — spoiler friendly

JessicaSarahS

Hysteria/Resistance has been happening since T2L I think tbf. It’s not exactly like-for-like but I guess I’m just used to it and can understand them always wanting Resistance in the picture. I’ve always championed a TIRO rotation instead since they’re both similar in popularity, age and style but hey ho.

Don’t mind BITM/Blockades, makes sense flow-wise in that spot for me and they’re both good, rocky new songs. But then I’ve already seen one and am going to multiple gigs in the summer so if you’re only going to one like a normal, sane person and like both songs then it’d be a bummer. Same for SH/Propaganda.

Tom Morello announced as support for the stadium shows in June. This has gotta be big for Matt. I’m genuinely afraid Matt will fade out like a Jedi after the first show. Really hoping the bring Tom out to help them with Something Human. ;)

• Like 1

It's a fun set. I enjoyed it a lot more than the Drones arena shows and they finally went with the lots of lights and a big screen stage like I wanted. Even if the dancers all quit it would still be an impressive show.

The mid section could still use some work, but it's not as draining as it has been in other tours, so it's not the worst setlist to be touring around.

The supposed rotations are bad and I'm glad I did not get them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kueller said:

Even if the dancers all quit it would still be an impressive show.

The mid section could still use some work, but it's not as draining as it has been in other tours, so it's not the worst setlist to be touring around.

Having made a show during  the 2017 arena tour, I’ve come to the realization that all I really care about (as far as spectacle goes) is a BIG opener and maybe a BIG encore opener. The rest of the show can just be the band and a few lights as far as I’m concerned, so long as the set list is good. With that said, this tour looks pretty dope.

• Like 1

One more concert in here's thoughts just coming back. Don't count this as an overall review it's just additional comments (cause I really enjoyed it but will say some negative things here).

The stage is still really impressive and looks so from afar, as this time I was seated. It feels like everything has some sort of neon light. Even during The Dark Side there's a little violet light shining on the feet of Matt and Chris and it gives them this glow. Matt also turns to face the stage during Close Encounters and with the top lights moving it really sells it more like a remake of the film's interaction. It's cool. All these little details are cool.

Dig Down gospel version is really nice. It acts as a wonderful breather from all the antics.

The whole interactions with the b-stage often put Matt far in front of the rest of the band, making the other two feel like backing musicians. This was a complaint for me back when they toured with 30 Seconds to Mars. I saw 30stm in 2009 and they were a typical rock band, playing their theatrical music from This Is War. In 2017 it was like seeing a Leto show and it got tiring. I don't wanna see Muse go down that road (or further down you could say) especially since one of the biggest appeals is just how tight they are as a band. Certainly one of the best I've seen in person. You don't get that chemistry when they're not together.

And it really hit me, thinking about it, how much the songs feel unchanged. Time Is Running Out has to have the above-the-nut screech right after "you never dreamed of" in the second verse. It also starts with some noodling on the Am. Starlight starts with "put your hands in the air!". Plug In Baby has the Freddie Mercury crowd chant but with a fuzz factory. Man With a Harmonica + Knights of Cydonia + Dom's drum solo.  Matt and Chris stand together for Interlude before Chris takes center to start the riff for Hysteria. These aren't just things I remember from San Diego on Tuesday, but from concerts six years ago. Surely they must either be feeling tired of the redundancy or they're just on autopilot for this songs. Either way I'm not a fan of the result and it would be nice to see them loosen up more for the old staples if they are gonna keep them around.

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more with a lot of that. I can just about predict EVERY song these days because of the first guitar stab, the fuzz, the key of any intro noodling, the style of it, etc.

I've not been GENUINELY surprised at a day-to-day Muse gig for years now. Things like Shepherd's Bush and Download don't really count because we knew they were going to be one offs.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 1:29 PM, Clunge said:

Couldn't agree more with a lot of that. I can just about predict EVERY song these days because of the first guitar stab, the fuzz, the key of any intro noodling, the style of it, etc.

I've not been GENUINELY surprised at a day-to-day Muse gig for years now. Things like Shepherd's Bush and Download don't really count because we knew they were going to be one offs.

Cue me in at Milan gig in 2016 when he gave the first fuzz stab and I instinctively screamed "PLUG IN BABY!!!" like an idiot, lol.

I was pulling that stuff back at my first show, HAARP and Glasto were almost all you needed to watch. I still get surprised sometimes though - Host in Belfast, Assassin at the O2, Bliss gets me a fair amount for some reason. I think it’s understandable that a lotta those little ques becomes habit after a certain number of years. I’ve championed a stripped back/piano Starlight a few times but, at the same time, when I’ve rocked up to other gigs as a casual and the act’s played a weird rendition of one of their biggest tunes, you’d always prefer to hear it normally.

I’m soooooo looking forward to finally laying my crusty eyes on this show. It already looks like their best ever setup through pics and vids so hearing it’s even more impressive in person is maddd.

Edited by Jobby
  • Like 1

There's some things I expect. Fuzz factory squealing before Plug In Baby is tradition and unique, and in a way is the fan's notice the song is coming. I expect to be less surprised as a fan too, but that still doesn't mean every little scratch and exclamation needs to lock in that way. It shows in the performance of songs a lot of us find tired. You don't need to play alternate renditions to change that. Follow similar six years from Showbiz to Black Holes tours. There were no alternate versions of songs except maybe Screenager and Sunburn but there's still clear differences.

I'm also not taking about set rotations, just the way the staples are played. Of course getting a song they almost never play is gonna be a surprise. That's a given.

I think set ordering doesn’t help either. Muse have historically rotated their sets to a greater or lesser extent, but they don’t just flip it on its head every few shows like Radiohead. I know production plays a part in this, but just about every decision Muse have made on playing live in the past 15 years has conspired to make their shows feel less live. That for me is the biggest single disappointment. Simply jumbling up the set (while maintaining a bit of logic and structure) 7/8 times during the tour would make a big difference.

• 3 weeks later...