Simulation Theory Tour Live gig discussion — spoiler friendly

JessicaSarahS

I caved. 

Yes salt lakes floor is notoriously small. They didn't even come close to selling this out.  There's tons of empty seats, and we walked up to the box office and got lower bowl seats 8 rows up. 

Anyway. Not expecting much set wise. Just here for the spectacle. Jessica I will tell you how big Murph is, it scares me being that close to big things too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JessicaSarahS said:

Omg, thank you! I’m so nervous about it. 😂😨 

Well...

It was a bit overwhelming at first. Reminded me of the first time I drove up next to one of those giant windmills.

But it is up there for the whole medley and at times I forgot it was there. It is quite imposing. The outstretched hand takes up the whole stage and towered above our heads up to the upper bowl. I almost think being at the barrier would be better though because you can't really see exactly how big it is and what it is doing. It moves which is the worst part. Sorry Jess I wish I had better news. :(

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, altbecky said:

Well...

It was a bit overwhelming at first. Reminded me of the first time I drove up next to one of those giant windmills.

But it is up there for the whole medley and at times I forgot it was there. It is quite imposing. The outstretched hand takes up the whole stage and towered above our heads up to the upper bowl. I almost think being at the barrier would be better though because you can't really see exactly how big it is and what it is doing. It moves which is the worst part. Sorry Jess I wish I had better news. :(

Omg, I’m glad you understand my thoughts about windmills! 🤮 We shall see tomorrow night! I should be farther away tomorrow, but I’ll be on rail for the Oakland show. 🙈💀

We’re 5 gigs in so I doubt the band are bored yet and it’s a complicated setup tbf. It’s not just the band and some rickety drones (that they can ultimately abandon if they aren’t working on any given night) they have to sort out, there’s all the new performers who have to get comfortable with the routine as well. Drones was a looooong tour with a lotta gigs and an inherently heavy/‘dark’ vibe, so much so that I think the bridging festival/amphitheatre/by request tour ended up being so long ‘cos they had to cleanse their palet a bit. I think that’s the main thing that ended up grinding them down, as opposed to specifically the sets/rotation, ‘cos it was actually one of their best eras for song variety.

5 hours ago, Jobby said:

We’re 5 gigs in so I doubt the band are bored yet and it’s a complicated setup tbf. 

Of course. I suppose that's why I was expecting them to rotate a bit more in the beginning to get a feel and some practice in for all potential songs they'll be performing this tour, including planned rotations. The fact that they're not makes me wonder if they plan to mix it up at all. But I suppose time will tell. Like I a said, I'm totally cool with it, I never see more than one show per tour anyway. 

10 hours ago, JessicaSarahS said:

I thought the show was amazing! I loved the theme/storytelling during the show and the set was long and varied enough for my tastes. I tried not to spoil the set lists too much.

Relatively psychologically unscathed by our big metal lad then? :chuckle:

4 hours ago, Jobby said:

Relatively psychologically unscathed by our big metal lad then? :chuckle:

😂 It was super scary when he first came out, but luckily I was far enough in the back that it didn’t bug me. I’m more nervous for Saturday’s show when I’m closer. 😱

On 3/3/2019 at 7:47 PM, That Little Animal said:

Of course. I suppose that's why I was expecting them to rotate a bit more in the beginning to get a feel and some practice in for all potential songs they'll be performing this tour, including planned rotations. The fact that they're not makes me wonder if they plan to mix it up at all. But I suppose time will tell. Like I a said, I'm totally cool with it, I never see more than one show per tour anyway. 

That's... quite sad, though. The show production they've come up with is indeed phenomenal and the setlist they're seemingly going to stick with is solid, but they could really use a consistent bunch of rotations to spice things up a bit. Knowing that they probably aren't going to give some variety to the setlist for the rest of this leg (or even the European one!) makes me feel a little bad for anyone who purchased tickets for more than one evening.   

2 hours ago, MartianSpaghettiRider said:

That's... quite sad, though. The show production they've come up with is indeed phenomenal and the setlist they're seemingly going to stick with is solid, but they could really use a consistent bunch of rotations to spice things up a bit. Knowing that they probably aren't going to give some variety to the setlist for the rest of this leg (or even the European one!) makes me feel a little bad for anyone who purchased tickets for more than one evening.   

People who see them more than once per tour must be big fans. And big fans must know by now that variety isn’t really part of their thing anymore, especially during the American leg of the tour. So I don’t think too much is lost.

I just really hope we get to see the Void and Blockades make an appearance at some point. Would be a shame if they don’t get to see the light of day. 

Guys chilllll, I swear these posts get made at the start of every album tour 😂 yes, they’re start gonna rotating at some point. We’ve already seen the schedule sheet showing the planned rotations so far, they just haven’t been used.

8 hours ago, Tesseract said:

I could've sworn Matt implied on instagram or somewhere that they'd play The Void live. Maybe I'm imagining that, but even if I'm not, we know how unreliable Matt can be. 

Yeah, there’s been a few ‘planned’ to be played that have slyly disappeared before so it doesn’t necessarily hold much weight :chuckle: that said, it tends to be at least partly down to how a song’s received and there’s a lotta (rightful) love for TV. Maybe waiting for the stadiums.

Stadium sets will be longer, so I expect The Void to have its own slot there... and maybe a few more rotation slots as well. Anyone else bummed by the "Propaganda/SH", "Hysteria/Resistance" (wth???????) and "BITM/Blockades" rotations? Part of me really hopes they won't rotate anything...