Yamaha Pacifica 112v or Epiphone G-400, which is better for covering Muse?

miracleYs

I'm a guitar beginner and looking for my first guitar. Two guitars have come into my decision, the Yamaha Pacifica 112v and Epiphone SG G-400. :)

I can't decide which one is better for me. The pacifica 112v is $300 and the g-400 is $350 in us. So just ingnore the price cuz $50 is not a big difference unless one is not worth the money.:D

I personally prefer the Yamaha 112v because the shape is a lot like Matt's Manson xD, and they both have alder tele neck, rosewood fingerboard, even the same silver colour! But as I said I am just a beginner who has been learning guitar for 2 months and only know a little about the guitar. and I care more about the "inside" than only the "look". :p

So please give me some advice that if which one has the better sounding, playing or longer lifetime value, then I'll choose that one. By the way, my final goal is to do cover of muse songs! So please take into consideration about which one is better for covering Muse songs. :)

I appreciate for all your help and thank you all in advance.

I'd go with the G400.

The yamahas are great guitars - some of the best for the price, but I don't think it would have the best sound for playing Muse songs. It appears to be basically a strat type with a bridge humbucker...I find that in most cases, it'll still sound somewhat like a strat no matter what pickup it has. The G400 will probably have a better sound distorted at least.

I can't comment on the playability - the yamaha I used to have was pretty nice though. There are some good playing ones, and some horrible playing ones really. (talking about both the epi and the yamaha...and pretty much any mass produced guitar I suppose)

I have a G-400, was the second guitar I bought... It sounds pretty good and plays well. The only problem I've had is that the neck likes to head-dive if you ever take your fretting hand off of it, which can be a bit of a pain.

Never owned a Yamaha so I can't really compare the two!

Let me join the G-400 club. I'm a mostly a happy owner. The neck does dive but only when playing standing up. The other strap button isn't located very conveniently. The tone & volume pots are pretty useless. Other than that it's a good first (or second) guitar. I really like the feel & playability of the neck.

Is it possible you mean the pacifica 120sj? Cause the 112v is just the strat model.

And the 120sj is the one Matt used to own in the early days.

Anyhow, I've got 2 Yamahas (Pacifica 120sj and Pacifica CJ112 custom) and one G400 replica.

I use the 112 even for playing 3 hour gigs in our coverband, and it holds, lol. So it's a decent guitar for its price. I payed 250€ for it. But off course you feel the difference if you pick up a more expensive guitar. The sound is more than ok. The humbucker at the bridge comes in very handy from time to time.

The G400 is my first guitar. I liked it but I prefer smaller 'Fender' necks to play on.

The 120sj is my favorite ^^. I also payed 250€ for it but it's more easy to play imo. Smooth small neck and decent standard humbuckers. But the electronics could be better, for example, my pick-up selector fails sometimes. But the guitar has a nice overal feel.

I've made some pic's from that last one: yamaha pacifica 120SJ (black) 5

i know im completely against whats previously been said, but get the pacifica

the g-400 does look ALOT cooler, but:

main buts aswell::

lacquered neck, makes it a little harder to play, offputting for a beginner

the weighting, its neck heavy which makes it impractical/harder to move to other guitars easily

the pacifica has no real issues, considering the amount of money you are paying for a guitar remember.

i had a g-400, sold it to get an ibanez sa260FM, a somewhat upgraded pacifica in essence

my SG is neck heavy, but I've learned to deal with it - just get a strap that doesn't 'slip'

The 120SJ is a very nice guitar (Matt's was the smaller 120SD btw - which I find wasn't quite as nice). I had one for a good while...upgraded the pickups though.

I'd go for the Yamaha. Sounding like a Strat isn't a bad thing... hell, I'm playing a Squier Bullet Stratocaster with a Mighty Mite neck right now, and it does Muse great.

Don't think Strats can only do old blues and rock... it really depends on the amp, and of course how you play them. Check these out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiPsSgEE7ME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONtaSAuLSMw

I believe Iron Maiden used single coil Strats at some point as well.

Anyhow, I've got 2 Yamahas (Pacifica 120sj and Pacifica CJ112 custom) and one G400 replica.

You've got a replica of an Epi G400? :LOL:

Archived