I agree, has he had lessons or something, what happened to all the screaming.

hahaha 'screaming'

:LOL::p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yX1avvACZM

5:05 is what I meant. So sudden and weird.

FUCKING EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. IT'S RIDICULOUS. Look how far, it's like a fucking metre, then he comes back all robotically, like "yeah yeah this is totally professional this". It's just shit.

:wtf: Of course he moves away from the mic when singing a louder note. Isn't that like the basic rule of microphone technique? Otherwise he would probably blow an eardrum or two...

He never used to, most other artists don't and no he wouldn't 'blow an eardrum or two'

"a bit gay"? Really? I know a few gay guys who'd happily bend you over their knees for a spanking on your young and (one would expect) reasonably toned derriere for saying that... not because it's un-P.C.' date=' mind, but because it's so 2007.[/quote']

I'm gay and I was being facetious. :)

On edit: I was going to mention' date=' the abrupt, exaggerated way he moves (away from the mic and back again) might help him keep time with the beat. [/quote']

No, definitely not. Musicians don't need to make ridiculous movements to keep basic 4/4 time, let alone ones that have been doing it for 16 years, let alone when they have a click-track in their ear

i like pudding

god so do i, sometimes, but sometimes i'm a little too full

matt steps away from the mic to inhale pudding

:yesey:

<3

No, definitely not. Musicians don't need to make ridiculous movements to keep basic 4/4 time, let alone ones that have been doing it for 16 years, let alone when they have a click-track in their ear

*snort*

<3

<3

he stands back to inhale the churros...they're nicely shaped :yesey:

Of course he does. Have you people SEEN Undisclosed Desires live? It's like an awful smell has just exploded from the mic and into his face. :wtf:

EGG-fucking-SACTLY. This was the first time I noticed it, when they played it on Jonaffen Ross. I didn't notice it at Teignmouth (The first time I heard undisclosed) but yeah, on the beeb he proper did it then

I like it. I think it's because he's a guitarist/singer. He wants to put a bit of movement into it and with the powerful mics they have now, he can.

the powerful mics they have now? it's nothing to do with 'powerful mics', the mics are exactly the same, you could make the mic far more 'powerful' if you wanted but you wouldn't because it wouldn't be appropriate for the application. just like you wouldn't use a vocal mic like a shure sm58 to record a wildtrack of a jungle and you wouldn't use a studio condenser mic live

and you wouldn't use a drum mic to sing into

Of course he does. Have you people SEEN Undisclosed Desires live? It's like an awful smell has just exploded from the mic and into his face. :wtf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vKo2ksfME

(near the end of the vid, around 3:45)

it's like plEASe me. sHOW me how it's done. tRUST meeee. YOU are the ouauoooouausauoooone

:chuckle:

i've to say it doesn't bother me at all, actually, i like it :ninja:

I like it. I think it's because he's a guitarist/singer. He wants to put a bit of movement into it and with the powerful mics they have now, he can.

They've been using Neumann KMS104's since at least the Absolution tour and there's no such thing as a 'powerful' microphone, unless we're talking sensitivity (And maybe output, but that's irrelevant when miking up vocals), which would actually be worse on stage as it would pick up everything and end up with lots of feedback.

the powerful mics they have now? it's nothing to do with 'powerful mics', the mics are exactly the same, you could make the mic far more 'powerful' if you wanted but you wouldn't because it wouldn't be appropriate for the application. just like you wouldn't use a vocal mic like a shure sm58 to record a wildtrack of a jungle and you wouldn't use a studio condenser mic live

and you wouldn't use a drum mic to sing into

No such thing as a "drum" mic. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vKo2ksfME

(near the end of the vid, around 3:45)

it's like plEASe me. sHOW me how it's done. tRUST meeee. YOU are the ouauoooouausauoooone

:chuckle:

i've to say it doesn't bother me at all, actually, i like it :ninja:

great example, i can't hear ANY of those words when he moves away from the mic

What do you want him to do stop breathing

give the poor guy a break....

it isn't actually to breathe... read the thread, the title is a joke

They've been using Neumann KMS104's since at least the Absolution tour and there's no such thing as a 'powerful' microphone, unless we're talking sensitivity (And maybe output, but that's irrelevant when miking up vocals), which would actually be worse on stage as it would pick up everything and end up with lots of feedback.

No such thing as a "drum" mic. :p

well, there are mics used specifically for drums, so that's what i was talking about - don't be pedantic - i'm not a sound engineer - if you said 'tv' camera i wouldn't say 'there's no such thing as a tv camera' (which there isn't but there are cameras which are good for tv)

well, there are mics used specifically for drums, so that's what i was talking about - don't be pedantic - i'm not a sound engineer - if you said 'tv' camera i wouldn't say 'there's no such thing as a tv camera' (which there isn't but there are cameras which are good for tv)

There are no mics specifically for drums. I'm hardly being pedantic.

A basic 4-mic set up, could use an EV RE20 for the kick, MD441 for the snare and C414s for overheads, all those mics are popular for guitar, vocals and pretty much anything else you can think of. Obviously there's mics like the AKG D112, but it's not just for kick drums and actually for anything where you want lots of bass from it.

There are no mics specifically for drums. I'm hardly being pedantic.

A basic 4-mic set up, could use an EV RE20 for the kick, MD441 for the snare and C414s for overheads, all those mics are popular for guitar, vocals and pretty much anything else you can think of. Obviously there's mics like the AKG D112, but it's not just for kick drums and actually for anything where you want lots of bass from it.

Okay so Haze, does this alter my point at all? No, so it's pedantry. It is irrelevant correction for the sake of correction even though you knew what I was vaguely referring to and specificity was not an issue as it does not sway my point whether specificities were adhered to or not. So, it's pedantry.

And so you're saying that the mics that you would always typically use for micing up a bass drum live, would also be perfectly acceptable for use for live vocals too? I've never seen a singer singing into an AKG D112, nor into a PR-28.

Archived