NME 26/6 Glastonbury Special

Brob

I want to be excited about this special guest, but it sounds a little like they could just be performing with Nic Cester again. Which would be cool, but not as much special. But after re-reading I'm thinking it sounds a little bigger than that, so idk.

Anybody else have any different predictions?

I want to be excited about this special guest, but it sounds a little like they could just be performing with Nic Cester again. Which would be cool, but not as much special. But after re-reading I'm thinking it sounds a little bigger than that, so idk.

i can't see how nic cester could be a very x3 special guess :erm:

i mean, he's awesome and a dear friend of them, but still...

i honestly don't know, i'm just curious to see what they'll do :)

Interesting how they're gonna have a "very very very special guest" for one song. So their special surprise isn't full Exo, or are they still gonna have that plus this guest? I'm confused. :shifty:

Were all confused:confused:. Cannot cope with setlist deviation:shifty:

Awww! I'm glad they're sticking around and getting into it. I'm wondering about Imagine since they mentioned it before and well, it would be quite symbolic . Paul McCartney maybe? As it's the 40th I think they could probably get just about anyone, being the headline act.

I am starting to get excited about this. Wish I could have gone.

:LOL: at the caption for Matt's picture.

I want to type up this article too for some reason. :shifty:

edit: here it is. Kinda guessed a bit at the last few paragraphs where the scan cuts off the words.

GLASTO'S 40TH: IT'S GOING TO BE EMOTIONAL

As the festival gears up to celebrate four decades of rock’n’roll madness, Saturday night headliners Muse tell NME of their plans to give Worthy Farm a massive birthday surprise.

It’s inevitable that Glastonbury 2010 will be one of the most emotional charged in its history, as is usually the case when the festival hits difficulties but bounces back in spine-tingling fashion. While many people are thoroughly chuffed that U2 had to abandon their plans to headline the Friday night following Bono’s back injury, the truth is everyone would have gone to see them and it would have been the big talking-point of the event. With the Irish quartet gone, though, the field is wide open for someone to claim the festival for their own, and the odds are on the emotive likes of Mumford & Sons and The xx to officially hit the big time. Emily Eavis, meanwhile, reckons that Gorillaz could be a replacement act to rival Pulp, who memorably—and heroically—deputised for The Stone Roses back in 1995.

“Sometimes when someone else pulls out and somebody else steps in, it can be a bit stressful,” Emily tells NME. “Some people can feel they’re not quite up to doing it, it can put people on the spot. When Pulp did it, it was so amazing—it was this incredible thing where they just rose to this challenge of filling this valley of 100,000 people and everyone was transfixed.”

However, for those people who like sheer rock spectacle, it’s all about Saturday’s headliners, Muse. They’re gearing up to explore a gamut of emotions too; mostly awe, swagger, and fear that their UFO will burst into flames and destroy half the site.

As the three-piece have been powering through European stadiums, they have taken to flying 10ft into the air on an actual spaceship (okay, not an actual spaceship, but as good as), and flying a giant inflatable UFO over the crowd—a prop so big that it blocked out Slayer’s MTV broadcast at Rock am Ring. “We will definitely try to make contact with the UFO once more,” says Dominic Howard, going over the plans for their Pyramid Stage set. “Right now we’re just trying to pack as much of our stadium show in as we can.”

This will all work to Worthy Farm’s advantage, as the band’s return to their West Country roots will see them play a looser, more relaxed version of their usual performances. “We're being a bit more spontaneous at festivals,” he explains. “We can just be a bit more random about the setlist, just because the stadium show has to be a bit more structured because of all the spaceships flying around and we need to time the music to the theatrics. At festivals we can be looser and mix it up.”

That’s not to say there won’t be a spectacle, though. Indeed, the Teignmouth trio won’t reveal all yet, but they’re already eyeing their space in the memory bank of all-time classic Glastonbury moments.

“We’ve got one special thing planned which will be a big moment and a massive surprise,” says Dom. “As with all surprises, I can’t tell you about it. But we plan to have a very, very, very special guest come and play, so we’re extremely excited about that and if it comes off, it’ll be a huge moment for Glastonbury this year. To have that person and play that song will take it to a whole new level for us.”

And for a band used to a gruelling touring schedule which usually sees them flying in and out of their transglobal gigs, Glastonbury 2010 will allow them to kick back and stay for the whole weekend. “We’ve actually got a bit of time to stick around this year,” Dom says. Not only that, but it seems the Muse compound promises to be the hottest onsite location for star spots this year. “We’ve got a few yurts and a Winnebago and we’re gonna have a massive barbeque backstage, so we might do a bit of a hog roast down there and get a bit stuck in with the festival vibe,” he adds.

Dom is also looking forward to actually seeing some bands this year, with Band Of Skulls, Phoenix, The Dead Weather, and Pulled Apart By Horses high on his hit list—alongside the once-in-a-lifetime climax from Stevie Wonder, obviously. “He’s just a legend. I can’t wait to see a bit of ‘Superstition’ live.”

Then, of course, there are the surreal and psychedelic delights that the further corners of Worthy Farm have to offer. “I’d like to get to the outer reaches because I haven’t done any of that stuff at Glastonbury for about 15 years, the first time I ever went,” admits the drummer. “We must have been about 17 and we climbed over the fence and got in for free, pitched up our crap tent and just had the most amazing time. I had £10, a couple of cans of baked beans and a little ’teenth of hash and I was good for the weekend. That year was scorching hot, so it wasn’t just about the bands, it was about rolling around and having fun.”

At the risk of talking himself out of the headliner’s job, the sticksman reckons that his band are far from Glastonbury’s main attraction this year. “It’s really about having a big old walk around because it’s so open and free at the festival,” he says. “The more you walk around, the more you discover random things going on that could probably do you for the whole weekend without seeing a single band.”

Indeed, but who'd want that? No, music is the reason for the festival, and given the eclectic nature of the bill—with everyone from Crystal Castles to Willie Nelson playing—if the weather god’s kind and the ley lines are correctly aligned, and if Stevie Wonder plays ‘Living For The City’, Michael Eavis’s annual claim to having just staged ”The greatest Glastonbury ever’ could this year be justified. As Dom observes, “The history of the whole thing really resonates throughout the whole festival. You can really feel it, all the great times and vibes, and the great bands that played there over the years. You can feel that history resonating through the whole place.”

So bring on Glastonbury 2010; whilst ‘The Resistance’ will prove useful, resistance is useless.

Interesting how they're gonna have a "very very very special guest" for one song. So their special surprise isn't full Exo, or are they still gonna have that plus this guest? I'm confused. :shifty:

the special guest is gonna' be some famous orchestra right?

I can just see matt up there,

"and our very special guest... the transblabla symphony!"

and then they blow the tits off glasto with an entire rendition of exogenesis :D

Matt said "and she...." just recently in his latest interview. So it is a chick for sure.

Matt said "and she...." just recently in his latest interview. So it is a chick for sure.

Oh, I remember him letting that slip! That was so long ago. Well, a month or so. Was that for Glastonbury? It just seems like old news, but I can't remember any other special guests they've had for anything else lately.

Hmmm..... :shifty:

Oh, I remember him letting that slip! That was so long ago. Well, a month or so. Was that for Glastonbury? It just seems like old news, but I can't remember any other special guests they've had for anything else lately.

Wasn't that in regards to Wembley? Although I could have completely imagined that because it does seem like it was a looooooong time ago. :eek:

I believe it was in regards to Lily Allen as an opener.

Wasn't that in regards to Wembley? Although I could have completely imagined that because it does seem like it was a looooooong time ago. :eek:

I don't know! I've been trying to find the interview but I can't remember where I heard it. Now it's driving me batty. Maybe it WAS Wembley.

Anyone?? :unsure:

Edit: Yeah, I think you're right Microfuzz. That was Lily as Wembley opener.

So yeah, Brian May? :awesome:

I don't know! I've been trying to find the interview but I can't remember where I heard it. Now it's driving me batty. Maybe it WAS Wembley.

Anyone?? :unsure:

Edit: Yeah, I think you're right Microfuzz. That was Lily as Wembley opener.

So yeah, Brian May? :awesome:

Yep, it was in an interview with Zane Lowe I believe, during the premiere of NSC (LiF). ;)

Archived