Long Interview With Chris!

All To No Avail

Sorry if this has been posted already, its a few months old now, but I couldn't find it anywhere on here! It's a really long interview with Chris about football and Muse. An interesting quote:

'Maybe unfair on one performance but it's difficult to get an impression from a message board. I mean I know what it's like on our message board, they're supposed to be our fans and they're all slagging us off. I'm sure it's the same with the Rotherham message board.'

:$

Link:

http://www.rotherhamunited-mad.co.uk/roll/edz5/chris_wolstenholme__a_millers_museings_480120/index.shtml

Yes I think there has already been a fair amount of discussion about this interview but good idea to give it it's own thread as it is enlightening.

I think this quote also addresses some issues.

DB: OK, so what you're saying is that you'll build a stage show around what will be the set list?

CW: Kind of, yeah. I mean we try and be a little bit flexible with the set list, but it has actually become a bit of a problem now, because the way the set list is structured at the minute, with the production and everything, it does have to be a bit consistent every night. We've got these lifts that move up and down, and the problem is that 20 years ago people didn't know any different, because people from Birmingham would go to the gig in Birmingham, and that's all they would see. Thirty gigs later you'll be in Stockholm or something, and that'll be the first time people have seen that show.

Nowadays, as soon as you've done the first show, the whole f****** lot's online and people are

expecting to see something different every night. We're assuming that the people we are playing to are seeing this for the first time - if you spoiled it by going on YouTube, that's not our fault!

I also noticed he said somewhere that they are constructing these big sets in order to provide for a much larger audience. In order to attempt to make the show impressive for those at the back as well.

Sorry if this has been posted already, its a few months old now, but I couldn't find it anywhere on here! It's a really long interview with Chris about football and Muse. An interesting quote:

'Maybe unfair on one performance but it's difficult to get an impression from a message board. I mean I know what it's like on our message board, they're supposed to be our fans and they're all slagging us off. I'm sure it's the same with the Rotherham message board.'

:$

Link:

http://www.rotherhamunited-mad.co.uk/roll/edz5/chris_wolstenholme__a_millers_museings_480120/index.shtml

Thanks for the link. I actually missed this one.

I love this interview, especially this:

We have it on good authority that you share a manager with the Chuckle Brothers!

Actually it's our Accountant…….though our accountant is our manager!!! But he's the Chuckle Brothers' accountant! He started off as our accountant and then became our manager. So yes, we have something in common!

4711433775_9aa25b4859_o.jpg

Chuckle, chuckle vision :LOL:

DB: OK, so what you're saying is that you'll build a stage show around what will be the set list?

CW: Kind of, yeah. I mean we try and be a little bit flexible with the set list, but it has actually become a bit of a problem now, because the way the set list is structured at the minute, with the production and everything, it does have to be a bit consistent every night. We've got these lifts that move up and down, and the problem is that 20 years ago people didn't know any different, because people from Birmingham would go to the gig in Birmingham, and that's all they would see. Thirty gigs later you'll be in Stockholm or something, and that'll be the first time people have seen that show.

Nowadays, as soon as you've done the first show, the whole f****** lot's online and people are

expecting to see something different every night. We're assuming that the people we are playing to are seeing this for the first time - if you spoiled it by going on YouTube, that's not our fault!

While the internet/youtube thing is understandable, it's not just that! People are going to multiple shows all over the place! Not just the local show. :$

Anyway, I love this article.:chris: :chris:

I had no idea that they were planning on bringing a "scaled down" version of the current production to America--I went to Germany & Paris for nothing :LOL: . I'm interested in seeing what they bring over.

This interview was actually before they did the 1st leg of the North American tour, so whatever stage production we had the first time around, it's what the arenas will get the 2nd time around I'm assuming.

I think really it's more the fact that there are so many brilliant songs they could be playing, but aren't. Although I do completely agree with him. With the effort they go to putting the stage show together, you can't say you don't get your moneys worth, they are spectacular productions. Go Chris! :D

EDIT: I just read it all (apart from the football stuff, can't take that even if it is the Wolstenholme.) That was one mahoosive interview!

I think Muse need to have a sit-down online chat with some boardies some time so we can actually discuss the whole setlist issue. We don't wanna come across as moaners, but as fans that's generally what we're going to be a lot of the time!

I mean, I'm very pleased that the setlists are looking much better, and the polls were a great idea (I hope I get CE or Assassin at T !), but it was specific things that boardies/fans in general were unhappy about. I appreciate that Chris is obviously listening to what we're saying, more so than Matt or Dom perhaps, but our various 'problems' with the lengths of their sets etc (partly been rectified) amongst other things was discussed at length in the setlist thread.

Archived