Introducing Muse to your parents

Museic07

Every now and again when putting our iPods on speaker in the car I would request strategic Muse tracks (sing-choosing is a diplomatic process in our car). My mum seemed to like the less angry and more piano-y songs (B&H, Blackout, Ruled By Secrecy, Invincible etc), since she started tapping her hands on the steering wheel (which is a good sign :LOL:).

My dad, on the other hand, hadn't really heard much Muse before, but everyone in my family has heard a lot about them from me. So I was and wasn't surprised when he randomly bought BHaR and stuck it in the car CD player. We listened to the album once. And he never put it back on. I was too nervous to ask what he thought of it... :$ Maybe not his sort of thing. :LOL:

I am bringing my sisters round though.

When my sister bought the HAARP cd for my birthday this past year I immediately stuck the DVD in.... my Mum was listening to it in the other room and said that she didn't mind it so much, that they reminded her of a young Queen and that she actually recognised a couple songs.

My Dad on the other hand came home when I was listening to HAARP and painting and after a few minutes wanted to shut it off and called it "lame" x.x I think he meant that it was too hard for him but god only knows....

Thank god my Mum is more open minded with music than Dad is haha

• 1 month later...

My Dad gets annoyed when I listen to Muse, he tells me that Matt is crap and he can't sing and his guitar skills are limited, but yet he sits down with his guitar and tries to work the songs out. My Dad is very good at guitar, but not as good as Matt, he could probably play nearly all of the Muse songs if he sat down and worked them out, and he has tryed to work out a few songs, he was doing awesome at New Born, until it came to the solo, and he said "I can't be bothered with this anymore. Becky, turn that noise off." Like he can talk, he can't play it (Well, not as well as Matt) and he listens to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer, SOD ect. He even thought KoC was some strange form of opera, because of how high Matt sings. My Dad is strange...At least my Grandad has some music sense, he likes Muse, and has met Matt's Dad, and even wrote a song with George Bellamy.

Dad likes KoC, I think, because when I've played it for him he wanted to know the name of the song, and I think it's because he wants to hear it again:yesey: But that's the only muse song he heard, think. :$ :$ Maybe I should let him listen to some more muse songs...:)

Mum haven't heard them:( but my brother loves them he liked them before me so now, he hates me because I also like muse :mad:

My dad was like: " (at plug in baby live at wembley) well he doesn't have the most beautiful voice, but he sure can make that guitar scream like a little pig"

My mom was like: "(at starlight) Wait! I've heard this song before. I like the piano in that song..."

Oh and my dad thinks that Matt sings a bit like Bono..

• 5 months later...
I tried to get my parents to listen to them, but when you have a mum who's fave groups are the scissor sisters and girls aloud, :mad: and a dad who will only listen to tina turner:eek: it doesn't go down too well.

My favourite groups are Scissor Sisters and Muse!!! I am a Mum (51) of three who have all got me into Muse - their favourite group. I have just been to the Sheffield concert and the Friday 02 concert - absolutely love them - enjoy singing along!! Can't get enough of their individual style - fantastic.:D

hah, well when I got bh&r for christmas we put it in the car and it became a regular staple, as did all the others as I started getting them. There are currently 4 muse cds in the car right now. XD

Anyway my mum loves them, and now it seems by brother and dad like them as well. Yay! It's good because it means they'll be more likely to let me go to concerts etc and do muse related things. Whoo!

I badgered my mum and dad to watch the BBC Teignmouth coverage. My mum said she really enjoyed it but she didn't like Matt "howling" :mad: and my dad left the room :(

The thing is; my musical tastes are heavily influenced by my dad (Pink Floyd, The Beatles etc) and I would have thought he would like maybe some of Muse's tracks so it was surprising that my mum thought they were good.

I offered to take mum to Wembley next year but got a polite no lol

One day I left Absolution in the car to let it slowly creep in on them, and I've certainly made sure we've listened to it a couple of times in full while driving.

When my sister moved out, me and my dad drove a trailer full of her stuff the long treck from our house to her new house, so I packed up all of the CDs I had of them (all of their work apart from all the singles 'n stuff :p ), and we decided that we should listen to them back-to-back. We managed to get through precisely all of them, and as we pulled in at our house with an empty trailer, Take a Bow at HAARP was just finishing. The only time he wanted to stop the music was in the middle of Hyper Chondriac music, since it was too much "acid rock" to his liking. :chuckle: My reckon is that the car stereo didn't do it justice, and coupled with the car noise there wasn't much left but the occasional splurts of whatever. Listening to Megalomania in that car was horrible, since it was barely audible. :erm:

I introduced Muse to my mum a few months ago. She said they are awesome!! :awesome: :awesome:

She keeps on listening to Knights Of Cydonia, Supermassive Black Hole, Starlight, Resistance, Hysteria and Butterflies & Hurricanes!

She even wanted to go to my concert but it was already sold out :p

And she also said that Matt has a sexy voice!

I am so proud of myself for infecting her with my Muse love :happy: :happy:

I have infected all my cousins with Muse, and most of them like them. One of them is the same age as me(she's like a sister) and absolutely love them after I showed her H.A.A.R.P. :D

She actually went to see them in Oslo in October, that lucky bastard -.- But she bought me a poster, and I'm going to see them in England in September, so I forgive her xD

other than that, my aunt(her mom) likes them. And my brother. And my sister's husband xD

Mom likes SOME of the newer slow songs... and Exogenesis. But she doesn't go all "oh-no" when I put them on in the car xD She just keep saying "If he has such a great voice, why don't he sing nice? D=" at Bells all the time...

Dad just accepts that I think they're awesome x)

I took my Mum to see them last week in London and she absolutely loved it!

I'm convinced that if my Dad gave them a chance he'd really like them too, because he is really into all of the old progressive rock stuff, so he needs to be sat down and 'educated' about the modern greats :D

Needless to say, my whole family is coming with me to Wembley next year, whether they like it or not! :happy:

I left Absolution in my mom's car and discovered she listens to it even when I'm not around. My dad didn't like them until we bought bh&r and he saw them the Glastonbury stuff and decided that they're pretty unique. Now he actually put Supermassive Black Hole on a mixed cd...

After I bought The Resistance I decided to put it in my mom's car. And then I took it out for a while, but went to get it and couldn't find it! It turned out that she'd taken it and put it back in the car so she could listen to Undisclosed Desires over and over :LOL: And from there I gradually introduced more of their stuff.

My dad went with me to two gigs when they were opening for U2, and during the second I was surprised to turn around and see him singing to Uprising. Now he listens to HAARP in the car a lot, and every now and then I'll come downstairs in the morning to find him singing Uprising or something.

My mother fancies Matt Bellamy.

Thankfully my mum fancies Dom - Matt is for me!

I took my Mum to see them last week in London and she absolutely loved it!

And mine!! We even had a little mosh by ourselves :happy: - pretty awesome as she is 60 (although you wouldn't know it)!!

She plays the compilation cd I made her and The Resistance in the car and to the kids in her class at primary school - I feel its important we are educating future musers :LOL:

Funnily enough it was my Dad that turned around to me one day and said;

"Have you heard of a band called Muse?"

You can imagine my response.

"Well, I'm going to see them live, apparenlly. At Wembley. My friend has free tickets."

Again... you can imagine my response.

He tripped up though when he said "I hope they play Go Go Baby. I'll definitely do some mulching to that!":facepalm:

Any way he loves the older stuff but doesn't like the new album - he says it is too miserable strangely enough.

My influence is so strong these days that I have actually got my eighty-two year old Grandmother begging me to copy her off a Muse album. Seriously, she loves Supermassive Black Hole and Blackout and thinks that Matthew is a right dish. Imagine Matt dating my Granny?:eek:

My dad couldn't care less but I think my mum is slowly beginning to like Muse. She loves Uprising and sometimes asks me to play Muse songs from my computer. She also recognised "Mon cœur s'ouvre à ta voix" from IBTY and the Chopin bit in Collateral damage. I think she likes the newer, more polished sound more than for example songs in Showbiz. And all the classical influences are a bonus in her opinion :LOL:

Funnily enough it was my Dad that turned around to me one day and said;

"Have you heard of a band called Muse?"

You can imagine my response.

"Well, I'm going to see them live, apparenlly. At Wembley. My friend has free tickets."

Again... you can imagine my response.

He tripped up though when he said "I hope they play Go Go Baby. I'll definitely do some mulching to that!":facepalm:

Any way he loves the older stuff but doesn't like the new album - he says it is too miserable strangely enough.

My influence is so strong these days that I have actually got my eighty-two year old Grandmother begging me to copy her off a Muse album. Seriously, she loves Supermassive Black Hole and Blackout and thinks that Matthew is a right dish. Imagine Matt dating my Granny?:eek:

Oh dear :LOL::LOL:

Archived