Introducing Muse to your parents

Museic07

I don't think my mom even knows who the hell Muse is, even though I always play their music loud. :stunned:
Interestingly, I worked with an 18 year old girl this morning and SHE didn't know who the hell Muse are!

My kids are 17 and 19 yet I've got more friends who like Muse (friends in their 30s and older) than my kids have.

My mum complains about my taste in music all the time, cos she's like, fully into the stuff from the 60s-80s (as am I, I guess... but I'm into all music :happy:) but I played her Sing For Absolution, and like, sang the words myself so she could hear them and she was all "Whoa."

Because that chorus seriously is extraordinarily beautiful.

My dad has heard Starlight before, though I think he was unimpressed when I played it on my HAARP DVD. He has told my cousin to practice the guitar solo Matt does well towards the end of Invincible.

Lol, that's like my dad. He could be in another room but if he hears a good solo, he'll come out and tell me I've gotta learn how to play it :LOL:

My Dad had my BH&R album in his car for about a month (and then I wanted it back, hehe) and he quite liked it, he could even whistle the Starlight tune (iz proud). My Mum doesn't really like the BOOMBOOMBANGBANG music (that's what she calls it) But she likes B&H because of the piano, Blackout and last night (she stole my new earphones) and said that she really likes Hoodoo and that she wants the track. Oh and she liked Bedroom Accoustic too :)

Interestingly, I worked with an 18 year old girl this morning and SHE didn't know who the hell Muse are!

My kids are 17 and 19 yet I've got more friends who like Muse (friends in their 30s and older) than my kids have.

That's because Muse are so un-hip these days. Except for SMBH with the Twilighters which will last about 3-4 more months. Katy Perry(I Kissed a Girl and I liked it") is all the rage right now with the teens. That's when their not into hip-hop/rap.

I actually prefer to keep my family away from music I listen too, I feel it will just cause the feeling Muse gives me to die. Hell with Muse it probably wont happen that way, but Id rather not risk it.

Not quite sure how family could cause you to lose your appreciation of a band?? How would that work then?

:unsure::erm:

Not quite sure how family could cause you to lose your appreciation of a band?? How would that work then?

:unsure::erm:

I try to keep my fav music away from my family, if you lived with them - you would understand...Its just the way they act towords music..My dad is reliogous fanatic, and if he doesnt agree with lyrics he whines and whines and whines, my brother just sits their and pretends to play air guitar when matts playing the piano....my siblings just listen to the same music I do because they think they will fit in with others or something. I dont know, its stupid and childish, but just the stuff they do with it really REALLY bothers me.

You younger folks have better luck because your parents grew up with the 80s new wave are open to new sounds. Baby boomers pretty much like their "easy listening Barry Manilow" shit.

Not my mum! She's 54 and loooooooves Muse. I am quite proud. She wants to see them next time they tour. I even got my dad to like some Muse and he only listens to...movie music. lol

I'm sure I've already posted here but oh well.

Everytime i mention muse to my dad i get a lecture on how they are a modern version of led zep./the beatles etc. so i avoid that :p When i mention it to my mum its 'you just like that bellamy boy' :rolleyes: and when i mention muse to my brother its usually 'they're rubbish and you know it' so muse is not exactly a hot topic within my family :p

Well in someways they are modern Led Zepp. I would take that as a compliment.

Not my mum! She's 54 and loooooooves Muse. I am quite proud. She wants to see them next time they tour. I even got my dad to like some Muse and he only listens to...movie music. lol

I'm sure I've already posted here but oh well.

Yeah! I'm of your mum's era, and we grew up with the Beatles and Stones, Led Zep and Cream, so our musical tastes are excellent! :D

They just understood my love for Muse by hearing it everyday. :LOL: Dad loves the piano, tried to imitate once along with some guitar work and Mum attended my first Muse gig with me. :happy:

But this thread title sounds like we're dating them.

"Mum, Dad this is Muse..."

"How old are you?"

"In our 30s."

"...*look towards child* You're not to hang around these boys anymore."

• 4 months later...

:happy: great thread.

i definitely have, though.

my dad came to my first concert with me (which was muse :D), & liked them after that.

my mum likes them - she knew them from the concert as well, & as i got super into them; i bought showbiz and put it on in the car. when sunburn started up, she heard the piano and asked 'is this the muse cd?' i said yes and she replied, 'oh i like it already.'

my sister listens to them - not as 'religiously' as i, mainly BHAR and whatever is on the twilight playlists :noey:

even my grandma enjoys BHAR :awesome:

granted, i elude to muse as often as humanly possible & its constantly blasted from my stereos, so they really couldn't escape it if they wanted to...

They just understood my love for Muse by hearing it everyday. :LOL: Dad loves the piano, tried to imitate once along with some guitar work and Mum attended my first Muse gig with me. :happy:

But this thread title sounds like we're dating them.

"Mum, Dad this is Muse..."

"How old are you?"

"In our 30s."

"...*look towards child* You're not to hang around these boys anymore."

I loled!:LOL:

My dad thinks they're good. He likes KoC, New Born, SFA, and probably some more. But my mom doesn't. I was messing around with Dead Star in Audacity, and she said Matt sounded like he was riding in a car on a very bumpy road. :mad: She doesn't get the whole idea of guitar being slightly in the background and sounding like part of the vocals.

She was listening to Radiohead one day though. And I normally take her as the person who listens to the Top 40 station way too often (she likes Soulja Boy for God's sake! :eek:).

My dad thinks they're good. He likes KoC, New Born, SFA, and probably some more. But my mom doesn't. I was messing around with Dead Star in Audacity, and she said Matt sounded like he was riding in a car on a very bumpy road. :mad: She doesn't get the whole idea of guitar being slightly in the background and sounding like part of the vocals.

She was listening to Radiohead one day though. And I normally take her as the person who listens to the Top 40 station way too often (she likes Soulja Boy for God's sake! :eek:).

Yeah but have you even heard his lyrics to 'Crank Dat'?

My goodness, that man is a friggin poet.

The first time I showed my mom Muse was when we were going to New Jersey and I brought my Muse cd. Now shes obsessed with supermassive blackhole, she always sings it for Kareoke. lol.

And my dad is actually the one that got me into Muse. He always told me I should download some Muse songs but I never listened to him, and when I finally did I wished I had done it sooner.:D

Archived