lol, this reminds me of Seinfeld.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that." It's pretty funny watching these hypocrites who says they don't have anything against gay people, but still get upset when someone gets called gay.

"NO THEY'RE NOT GAY :mad:"

yeah right...

I know I'm not helping with staying on topic here, but

But gay like "omg, that is so gay." then It's just like, stop using gay in the wrong context. There's nothing fucking wrong with being gay and calling something gay as a replacement for stupid or lame is just fucking cruel. Gay people have feelings too.

I agree apart from with the use of the word "accuses".

Sorry to nitpick and reiterate, but since we're talking about word usage and context here: doesn't anyone get that "accuse" is not a good word to use? It implies there is something wrong with being gay? So if someone is accusing, it is wrong for them to do that whatever the context.

I'm sick of people saying something is 'gay' as well. Those people usually sound really stupid when they're saying it too (which is why Matt lost a few brownie points when he has used it a few times). There is nothing wrong with gay people, and this is precisely why "accuse" is the wrong word. I know it was probably a slip up, but I really hope people keep this in mind when they're speaking about it more often.

I'm sick of people saying something is 'gay' as well. Those people usually sound really stupid when they're saying it too (which is why Matt lost a few brownie points when he has used it a few times). There is nothing wrong with gay people, and this is precisely why "accuse" is the wrong word. I know it was probably a slip up, but I really hope people keep this in mind when they're speaking about it more often.

Just because you call something gay doesn't mean you think there's anything wrong with gay people.

Just because you call something gay doesn't mean you think there's anything wrong with gay people.

This is true. But I understand what Lupus is saying. It's not exactly helpful to use the word "gay" to mean something negative as it may back up, by association, existing negative attitudes towards gay people, whether or not the person using it, in that way, has those attitudes.

As far as I know the word "gay" was always meant to mean something positive, "happy" originally and then, when taken on by gay rights campaigners: "good as you".

Words are not 'meant to mean' anything.

Okay "gay" was understood by people to mean happy and was intended to have positive associations when taken up by the gay rights movement.

It doesn't take away from the argument that using the word to mean something negative isn't helpful as it has been widely used by an oppressed group who have used it, in part, to fight that oppression.

The fact is that calling someone gay is still used as a form of attack in the school playground by those with prejudicial views and I wouldn't be surprised if this newer usage to mean something negative has sprung from that.

Archived