Which is better

The Hindered

I'd say yeah. You need to make sure that piano is for you, and it's a bit useless to start out by squandering loads on an actual piano when there's plenty of affordable (enough, for a musical instrument) and nice-sounding keyboards out there.

Having a piano is better though, for the overall sensation of playing and sound quality. But a keyboard is fine for learning. Not that I learn. I'd kill for a keyboard but I'm so hesitant to spend money... :(

Dude, people GIVE away grand/upright pianos on craigslist. You'll more than likely have to go pick it up cause no one wants to try and move those heavy-ass things, but if you really want to start with the piano, it's worth it. Can't get any cheaper than free.

Keyboards are expensive as hell. Well, if you want an 88-key one, at least. I was using a 61-key that my dad got me a few years back, which isn't really too expensive, and you'd probably be alright with one of those for a while since you're just starting out. I couldn't use it for all the songs I was wanting to play cause it didn't have enough keys, but for now you should be fine with the cheaper ones.

Key weight is VERY important when learning piano, especially for jazz and classical. Most electric pianos and keyboards under £800 don't have decent key weight. I'd recommend you get a cheap upright, I don't think a sub-£500 one is hard to come by. Make sure it can stay in tune though!

Key weight is VERY important when learning piano, especially for jazz and classical. Most electric pianos and keyboards under £800 don't have decent key weight. I'd recommend you get a cheap upright, I don't think a sub-£500 one is hard to come by. Make sure it can stay in tune though!

this this this

If you're really serious about building and maintaining good technique, you need a piano. And preferably the opportunity to play more than one. One at home, and take lessons somewhere else so that you not only have a teacher to guide you, but also to give you the chance to regularly sit down at a different piano in a different environment. If you get too comfortable on your own, little things can happen that will make it harder to adjust to another piano overall. You want your technique to be good enough to play wherever. Electric things are just... too light, too automatic.

I learned keyboard but only because we didn't have a piano, I think it would have been more beneficial for me to have learned that first :)

We got our piano free just by looking at the classifieds in the local paper, people want to get rid of them all the time, and if you're just starting out it doesn't matter if its not completely in tune or some of the keys stick (or if there are 20p pieces in between some of them in our case) because in the end you're just getting a taste of the instrument, pay later if you really like it :)

Not worth getting a cheap piano, as they can be horrible to play.

Better to get a keyboard, get lessons somewhere that has a quality piano and save up for your own quality one :)

If you have any intention of performing, you'll need a keyboard regardless.

Archived