Flags/banners in arenas?

jemzaza

So I'm attending the Cincinnati and Columbus gigs this fall. This last April, I made my own version of the United States of Eurasia flag (using the batik technique) and I am dying to bring it to both shows! :)

So a couple of questions...

1. Do you think the arenas would allow large poles and flags inside? My flag measures about 3' x 5' and the pole I'm considering would measure 10'. I can always go smaller but that's my best bet for maximum visibility of the flag above the crowds :awesome:

2. Have you ever taken a banner to a show? I know people take them all the time to festivals. Are you one of them?

3. Considering the pyramid setup of this leg, do you suppose bringing a flag would interfere with the concert? Because I definitely don't want to upset anyone, I just wanna show off mah amazin art skillz and wave sum bannerz. :awesome:

In a word, no. Sorry :(

Especially not in an arena, there are loada reasons why, blocking the view of people behind, the pole being seen as an offensive weapon, and flags in general are usually banned at arenas, I know they are in england unless its like a boyband.

Your best bet is to get in early, get on the barrier and tie it to the barrier :)

Yeah, I figured that the size of it would be a problem. i don't want to block people's view, I just want to have a little fun waving it around. :)

Sadly, I don't have GA for Columbus. Believe me, if I did, I would fight for barrier like none other! I SRSLY hope they change the floor seating in Cincinnati to standing room because I don't want to have a nosebleed seat, let alone on the floor.

don't really see how it could be used as a "weapon," lol, but zero tolerance these days :rolleyes:

if I do attach it to a pole, do you recommend using grommets and string or just attaching to the pole like a colorguard flag? Methinks grommets would allow more room for it to wave.

I don't want to seem blunt here, but I just wouldn't bother at all.

You're planning on taking a 5 foot long flag, on a 10 foot long pole into seating, which means you will obstruct alot of people, many rows behind you.

I know if I was stuck behind your flag I really wouldn't be happy at all and would ask you to take it down.

There in lies another problem, how are you going to store it once you get to the arena? If its 10 foot long, and youre on the seat next to the steps, where is it gonna go? Lets say every seat is 1 foot wide, thats 10 people you are inconveniencing, along with the countless others behind you.

I know you dont mean it to be and you seem like a nice person, but it seems like a very selfish idea to me, just to wave a flag, that to be fair the band probably won't even see.

Sorry to be blunt but it needed saying.

I don't want to seem blunt here, but I just wouldn't bother at all.

You're planning on taking a 5 foot long flag, on a 10 foot long pole into seating, which means you will obstruct alot of people, many rows behind you.

I know if I was stuck behind your flag I really wouldn't be happy at all and would ask you to take it down.

There in lies another problem, how are you going to store it once you get to the arena? If its 10 foot long, and youre on the seat next to the steps, where is it gonna go? Lets say every seat is 1 foot wide, thats 10 people you are inconveniencing, along with the countless others behind you.

I know you dont mean it to be and you seem like a nice person, but it seems like a very selfish idea to me, just to wave a flag, that to be fair the band probably won't even see.

Sorry to be blunt but it needed saying.

well, thank you for your input, that's why I went on here to ask before I did anything else with it. why's it any different from a festival, though? People are still packed together on the ground :p

it looks great on my wall though :)

well, thank you for your input, that's why I went on here to ask before I did anything else with it. why's it any different from a festival, though? People are still packed together on the ground :p

it looks great on my wall though :)

There have been countless campaigns to get flags banned from festivals, for the very reasons that Ollie mentioned.

In America? I wouldn't...you'll end up getting tarred and feathered by most of the crowd wondering why some tool brought a flag to a concert that is obstructing everyone's views. I'm almost 100% sure it wouldn't go down well with everyone. :LOL:

Unless you draped it over the barrier, that would be cool....or asked people around you to hold it up at random times during the show.

I've draped my coat over the barrier at both a Muse and a Biffy gig :)

Well, yeah, I can see that. But that's quite different than a giant banner that says "Matt I want ur baybeez!" Not that I would EVER contemplate doing that. :phu: Well, maybe something FAR less pathetic and fangirlish. :$

So are things like that okay attached to the barrier? Seems like the security dudes would get pissy.

The security at the O2 didn't like it, because it gets in the way when they're trying to lift people out, plus they're more likely to slip/get caught up in it. Coats usually aren't a problem because they're a lot smaller!

So are things like that okay attached to the barrier? Seems like the security dudes would get pissy.

Depends on the arena... We had 10 flags on the barrier in Phoenix and I had my flag the following day in Vegas. They had no issue because it wasn't blocking anybody's view and they had mentioned that they might ask us to take them down if it obstructed security evacuating people but in the end it wasn't a problem.

The security at the O2 didn't like it, because it gets in the way when they're trying to lift people out, plus they're more likely to slip/get caught up in it. Coats usually aren't a problem because they're a lot smaller!

Our awesome coat draping skills at Liverpool! :happy:

Archived