Live, it's absolutely epic with the opening slide playing. I mean can any guitarist transfix such a huge audience with their guitar alone these days?

It's not a love song, it's about staying true to your convictions.

Completely true, it's absolutely amazing live and not many guitarists manage to make such huge audiences dumbfounded these days.

I agree with your interpretation of the lyrics too. Everyone says that they are cheesy but I think they are extremley meaningful and strong.

Me too. I always despair that saying you don't like a song suddenly means you're not a fan.

I love Muse and my other favourite band Franz Ferdinand so much but they've BOTH created some pretty rubbish songs that don't appeal to me.

I know exactly what you mean.

Just because you or me don't fancy a song, it doesn't mean we don't support the band anymore.

I do agree that the lyrics are a bit over-the-top corny, but you can tell throughout that Muse are really trying to send a message of encouragement and positivity with this song. Whenever I feel really depressed, worried, stressed out or just extremely disheartened, Invincible always picks me back up and puts me together. The sincerity of what they're trying to say is what really gets to me, and sometimes you just really need to hear those corny, encouraging things (well at least I do)

Besides that though, I do think it's a good song in and of itself. I really enjoy it, and that extra shot of optimism and hope only makes it better :)

My invincible issues stem from the fact that what they're saying in the lyrics can be expressed with so much less sentimentality, and still be beautiful.

I'm not the biggest fan of sentimentality.

So in my head I've kinda configured it to be a sort of "Invincible=Cop Out" deal. People act like love can only be expressed in way black and white terms when that really isn't true.

If that makes any sense :confused:

• 2 years later...

I'm on the boards pretty often, and I have to say that I'm surprised with the lack of love that Invincible gets. It unfortunately is one of the songs that Muse has created that gets infinite plays when its album is being toured, and then gets shelved when a new album comes out. I was very dissapointed when it was not played once on The Resistance tour, especially considering that if Muse claims to play songs that typical represent themselves, Invincible certainly fits the bill (Matt=love, Kate?, i guess?). I know the song starts slow and ends hard but I think thats what makes it so great, and id pay just to see the solo performed live, its HAARP DVD performance is my favorite Muse song to date. Anyone out there feel the same way I do?

Archived