Towers or Pyramid?

sumosasuke

Which stage is better?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Which stage is better?

• The 3 Towers
    • The Light-up Pyramid
    • Neither

Neither. Previous stage designs have been far greater than what we've seen during The Risistance Tour. The towers were pretty cool, but didn't think they were that big of a deal. And perhaps I'll change my mind when I see the pyramid in person, but I think it's just too much. All the production and theatrics with both stages make for a predicable set. Music is the important thing with Muse. At least for me. I don't need the lights or the hefty ticket price that goes along with extras like risers that go into the pit or screes I won't even be able to see since I'll be too close to the stage.

I really liked the towers. I thought it really took advantage of how they are a three piece band (which is becoming a rarity for bands with a big sound) and made a stadium gig more accesible to everyone. Even if you are way in the back of the standing area, you can easily see each of the guys and see what they're doing, because they've been lifted above the stage. I also loved Dom's rotating Drum riser, it was so cool to see him moving around! :D The pillars were also a really unique idea, and really set Muse's show apart from other bands'. When I showed one of my not-yet-muser friends the live Resistance video, he was amazed my the huge pillars, especially because of the cool graphics that were constantly being flashed across them. The whole set-up is definetly awe-inspiring and unique.

I also loved how the movement of the pillars were carefully planned; when they all slowly rose above the stage during the opening sweeps of Exogenisis I, my heart skipped a beat. :happy:

It seems obvious, but both set-up's work for the situations they are used in - the towers are amazing for Arena's, but the Pyramid takes things to another level in stadiums.

Just try and imagine each in reverse. It wouldn't work.

Having said that, I do like the Pyramid just that bit more. BUT, We Are The Universe is still the better opener.

Took a look at the pyramid setup at Stade du Suisse... yeah, it looks pretty baller. I love the towers as well; it really makes an impact on the band's performance.

But I don't like the pyramid because it seems to envelope the band; it doesn't make it open for the entire audience. And the reason I don't prefer the towers is due to the disconnection I felt among the band members, even when the towers were under and the stage was free. Also, both seem to affect the setlists for every show, seeing as the videos on the screen are synchronized with the songs.

Many say the HAARP stage was well set up, and I would agree on some parts of it, but not a whole. I would say my favorite is the BH&R stage for festivals. It's glitzy but keeps the band together.

Well before I say anything I just want to point out I saw the towers live and have seen the festival set and pyramid on Youtube. :)

I didn't like the towers. It felt like a huge step in the wrong direction to me in how Muse should be live. I think they should be energetic, free to run around the stage and enjoy themselves. The towers didn't let them do that and it felt too theatrical instead of being a gig. The projections on them were good but they could have just done that on screens. My main point against them was the way they restricted the setlists. How they hadn't thought this through before the dates is beyond me and I was dissapointed when I saw them live in November.

The pyramid looks pretty cool. It's huge, has many lights and fits the stadium setting perfectly. All I hope for is that none of this hinders on the setlists like the towers did but already we are beginning to see changes here in there in the setlists so all is well and am excited for Wembley.

The festival set is my favourite out of the three. It is simple but awesome at the same time. It doesn't detract from the music and is all they really need! The better setlists on this tour have been with this so I can't wait to see what this looks like at Glastonbury at home (in HD of course :awesome:)

So yes, simplicity owns OTT stage designs for me but I don't think the festival set would work in a stadium environment.

:)

I'm on route to Heathrow from south wales as I write for the Madrid gig tonight....I have seen the towers twice and loved it....but have deliberately avoided YouTube and as few pics as poss. so I can be totally blown away by the new production tonight....I'm sure everyone will agree though.....the new stage will come into it's own at Wembley in September which will be the best gigs of this tour for them and us (not incl. Glastonbury of course!)...

Both have clearly been designed with a goverment agency/building George Orwell feel to them, but I think it's not exactly a fair topic/poll as you are comparing something designed for 50,000-100,000 capacity stadiums to 5000-20,000 capacity indoor arena's. The objective is going to be allways different.

It's going to be more difficult to design something creatively for a stadium when the main challenge is seeing the band. Personally I thought an enlarged in the round version of the towers would have worked well for the stadiums.

I don't believe the towers were restricting at all. I believe they have you a great theatrical experience from start to end. They were used appropriately for the songs that really suited the extra visuals or slow down feel, ie Exogenesis or Piano songs.

It was as simple stage yet extremely flexible. They gave a great view from where ever you were, I loved how they were almost lifted into the crowd in a sense. I feel the atmospheres with having the band surrounded was far better than a standard forward facing stage.

Nothing beats the classic HAARP stage setup ;)

The HAARP Stage? Arena or Stadium. Both were just a collection of ideas thrown together. They were not very clean, I'd say they were a mess.

Towers for me...

I've seen 5 Muse gigs on 5 different sets. HAARP is the overall winner for me, but I saw Towers at O2 London and Pyramid in Paris last week. Pyramid was pretty awesome, but I preferred the slightly more intimate feeling that the towers gave. Tbh, they are all awesome sets and the music is the winner!! Will Wembley have the same pyramid, or will they do something different/extra/special there?

Seen towers from way back and pyramid from pretty close. I'm torn between the two tbh, I don't think I saw the pyramid at it's best, Dom's a bit hidden, but I love the satellite stage. Exo is heaps better on the tower stage imo, and I missed the lasers though I know that's a limitation because of the venues. I don't think setlist issues are caused in any way by either stage set-up. Towers in the round would probably win for me.

I have a quick question for those who have seen the towers.

Is it a good idea to be nearer to the stage or further back? Me and my avid Musey friends want to be as close as possible, but if it's going to screw up our view when the band is raised, then we we'll hang back instead. What was your experience like?

I have a quick question for those who have seen the towers.

Is it a good idea to be nearer to the stage or further back? Me and my avid Musey friends want to be as close as possible, but if it's going to screw up our view when the band is raised, then we we'll hang back instead. What was your experience like?

My view was fine from the barrier and not as neck-ache-inducing as the stadium stage set is from the barrier.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5A830690BEE9E409

It was also ok most of the time from far back up in the seats.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5A79BD58A2586EDE

Archived