I would actually go as far to say that if any of us had the fame Matt has we would be considered a bit strange for on thing or another

That said I've never strangled a chicken for my dinner

:LOL: And yes to your first sentence too, we're all weird and wonderful. Especially if you liek mues.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I am wondering why were going on about the obvious one there should be the other one we need to look at clearly his name is Bruno nickleweed?? Or the other one that seems to feel the need to repopulate the earth with replacement incase matt accidently kills him on stage or something??

There is no sanity/insanity dichotomy in psychology you moron.

Listen here, who you calling a moron? Moron! :mad: I've read books about this and am presenting the arguments of respected writers. Take a look at what Szasz has to say - a psychiatrist. Pilgrim - a psychologist. Mental health is on a continuum imo and diagnosis isn't a perfect art. It is argued that there is a lot of subjectivity involved, and issues in relation to the pharmaceutical industry, and more importantly there is no mad bogeyman out there. I am aware that people can get psychosis but the point is, it can happen to anyone. I've also worked in a service which helped young people with psychosis and diagnosis is on the way out.

Even more to the point is to not start calling anyone who doesn't conform to the majority -"mad".

Jeez people are jumpy and this thread is fucking stupid anyway!

BTW I know the difference between psychology and psychiatry as professions, I am using the word "psychology" in a broad sense.

And science isn't the fucking bogeyman here

If it wasn't for the drugs and treatments then people would be suffering from mental health problems far more than they do

Incidentally just adding to this. People are also being treated for mental illness who don't have it. There are big debates out there. For example a study done on the diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder in the US found that fewer than half of those diagnosed had the illness and argued this was the result of marketing tactics by the pharmaceutical industry.

Yes, ma'am. I feel goooood. It's nice and comfy in here don't ya think?

Carla?

CARLA??

:(

It was until they put me in this fucking straight jacket.

I'm having to type this with my erect nipples!

CarrieB, mental illness exists. This thread was only meant to be a bit of fun.

Lighten up before you blow a gasket.

Incidentally just adding to this. People are also being treated for mental illness who don't have it. There are big debates out there. For example a study done on the diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder in the US found that fewer than half of those diagnosed had the illness and argued this was the result of marketing tactics by the pharmaceutical industry.

That's the fault of bad medical practice and nothing to do with mental health

Misdiagnosis happens

That's the fault of bad medical practice and nothing to do with mental health

Misdiagnosis happens

Yup, I was misdiagnosed. It does happen.

It doesn't mean it was a marketing ploy it just means the Doctor was having an off day, they can only diagnose on what they are told, if you don't tell them everything, they can't always get it right.

Yup, I was misdiagnosed. It does happen.

It doesn't mean it was a marketing ploy it just means the Doctor was having an off day, they can only diagnose on what they are told, if you don't tell them everything, they can't always get it right.

And when you have a mental illness sometimes you try to hide your symptoms or don't realise you're ill at all

And when you have a mental illness sometimes you try to hide your symptoms or don't realise you're ill at all

Yeah, because you're subconsciously worried that they'll lock you up.

Mental illness always has a stigma attached to it.

No one judges you if you break a leg or an arm, no one will shy away from you if you let on you've had a heart attack or have asthma but as soon as it's an illness of the brain, it gets met with a brick wall.

We can all joke about being a bit potty, because underneath it all, EVERYONE can have a mental breakdown in their life, no exceptions but to try and say it doesn't exist is just insulting. That's like walking up to someone who is blind and saying "You're not blind it's all in your head!"

That's partly due to a reliance in the US on medication to solve everything and also a misunderstanding of mental illness by a lot of people.

Bipolar is a fun one, because everyone sort of is to an extent, so people often think they are without really understanding it that it's extreme ups & downs, also it has that kind of "edge" to it, that certain people want to have it.

Yeah, because you're subconsciously worried that they'll lock you up.

Mental illness always has a stigma attached to it.

No one judges you if you break a leg or an arm, no one will shy away from you if you let on you've had a heart attack or have asthma but as soon as it's an illness of the brain, it gets met with a brick wall.

We can all joke about being a bit potty, because underneath it all, EVERYONE can have a mental breakdown in their life, no exceptions but to try and say it doesn't exist is just insulting. That's like walking up to someone who is blind and saying "You're not blind it's all in your head!"

Nobody is saying it doesn't exist but there is controversy in relation to how it's regarded, researched and treated. Some people are of the view that things that are normal human experiences are treated as illnesses. That doesn't mean that the person undergoing the experience is suffering any less, just that the way society addresses it isn't necessarily the best way.

There's a lot of controversy over ADHD for example. There's a school in the the UK, can't remember where now, where a quarter of children are on Ritalin apparently. That sort of thing raises alarm bells. I'm sorry if what I have said upsets some people and this maybe wasn't the best thread to post it, but I'm basically just saying that it's complex. There are issues.

BTW sorry if I blew a gasket but I don't take too kindly to being called a moron! ;)

Lol! That interview is :LOL: Dom should be grateful he's only getting pics of him sleeping put on Twitter these days!!!

I love that interview.:D I think when you first watch videos like this, particularly of when Matt was younger, there's a kind of OMG moment because he's so animated and such a fidget! :D But you just get used to it and stop noticing. It's just Matt, how he is, and very adorable.:happy:

What he says though makes complete sense. You get a sense of how intelligent he is and I like the way he makes an effort to explain things. He was possibly conscious of there being a language and cultural barrier so made an effort to be clear. I've noticed him doing that a lot and I like it. :happy:

And as for his filming of Dom! I've seen this interview several times and it still makes me laugh! Matt's a scream!:D I'm sure he never really had any intention of putting it on the internet. He's such a windup :D but 100% sane :happy:, well as sane as the rest of us anyway! :D

Just a lovely, down to earth, ordinary guy (well apart from reams of musical talent) who's very easy and nice to relate to.:happy:

Archived