Matt's Vocal Range

SlightlyMad

Forced, natural... he hit them. In the studio and countless times live.

Besides, what's "natural" or not is debatable. Of course everyone has a range they're more comfortable with. Doesn't mean they can't stretch themselves though and go further (and with quality) even if it's not as easy.

Taken from http://www.musewiki.org/Matthew_Bellamy

Bellamy is known for his high vocal range. It reaches as high as an Ab6 in the studio recording of Micro Cuts and G#6 (same sounded pitch) in the studio recording of Showbiz. During live performances of Showbiz, he has been known to reach an A6 (for example at the Two Days a Week Festival in Wiesen, Austria). Whilst this is not out of the range of a male singer with due practice, Bellamy managed to reach these highs without the amount practice usually required, and before he developed his breathing technique.

According to Howard speaking for an interview around Route du Rock 2001, a doctor once examined Bellamy's vocal chords and commented that they are unusually small, explaining how he managed to reach the high ranges that he does with relatively little practice or training. Bellamy also stated in said interview that he used to, sometime prior to that interview, attempt to sing lower due to being embarrassed about singing using high ranges. He doesn't anymore, however, as he has lost that inhibition.[4]

His vocal range does not extend very far down, however; it becomes less clear after a B3 and bottoms out at a G3 in the studio recording of Hoodoo.

Matt's vocals are part of the reason that I, and I'm sure, many other people listen to Muse. It adds to their signature sound, and even if they had to experiment with a completely different genre, one would still pick up that it is them because of the falsetto voice of Matt Bellamy.

The other reason of course that I listen to Muse, is the kickass lead guitar, and their frame of mind, that is very similar to mine, and frankly I would not be able to relate as well as I do to their music if he had a plane, crap rock voice, like the jerkoff from Nickelback, for example.

• 3 weeks later...
Taken from http://www.musewiki.org/Matthew_Bellamy

Bellamy is known for his high vocal range. It reaches as high as an Ab6 in the studio recording of Micro Cuts and G#6 (same sounded pitch) in the studio recording of Showbiz. During live performances of Showbiz, he has been known to reach an A6 (for example at the Two Days a Week Festival in Wiesen, Austria). Whilst this is not out of the range of a male singer with due practice, Bellamy managed to reach these highs without the amount practice usually required, and before he developed his breathing technique.

According to Howard speaking for an interview around Route du Rock 2001, a doctor once examined Bellamy's vocal chords and commented that they are unusually small, explaining how he managed to reach the high ranges that he does with relatively little practice or training. Bellamy also stated in said interview that he used to, sometime prior to that interview, attempt to sing lower due to being embarrassed about singing using high ranges. He doesn't anymore, however, as he has lost that inhibition.[4]

His vocal range does not extend very far down, however; it becomes less clear after a B3 and bottoms out at a G3 in the studio recording of Hoodoo.

I had a go at singing Microcuts & Showbiz last night and managed it. I can hit a B6 without any warming up and I haven't ever had vocal training. I do however have a bizarre throat condition and a 'thin' esophagus. Maybe this has something to do with it?

Naturally I have quite a deep talking voice so god only knows how I manage to hit these high falsetto notes...

Vocals

from the beauty that is Wiki. But it's easily Micro Cuts and Showbiz for the highest vocal range. Bellamy sure can squeal! :D:happy:

LOL true that, he squeals and moans quite nicely :LOL:

Bah. Spiral Static. High notes are great, low notes suck. I'm sure he could sing it sooo much better now but there's about 0.000001% chances they'll ever play in the future. Can even imagine them go? Spiral what? What's that? lol

^Hahah, I totally agree with you. Extreme high notes are so much more interesting than low notes.

I've hardly read any of this thread, so I'm sure this has already been pointed out. But the high note at the end of Showbiz and the high note near the end of Micro Cuts are the same note, Ab5. Some people in this thread have called it Ab6... but I just looked at a picture of a full keyboard to make sure, and I'm pretty sure it's 5. Whichever way, that's the highest note I've ever heard from him.

What I think is interesting about Matt's voice is the way he sounds almost like a whistle when he sings really high.

• 1 year later...

So there's still no clear answer as to how many octaves he can sing in.

Heard somewhere that men's voices change and can lose their higher and gradually go deeper- anyone know if that's true?

Any evidence of this with Matt so far over the years? Would be a hell of a loss if he couldn't do the high notes as well in the future.

So there's still no clear answer as to how many octaves he can sing in.

Heard somewhere that men's voices change and can lose their higher and gradually go deeper- anyone know if that's true?

Any evidence of this with Matt so far over the years? Would be a hell of a loss if he couldn't do the high notes as well in the future.

I heard somewhere that their voices get higher as they get older...

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, I'm new here but I decided to join so I could just say summat quickly :)

As somebody mentioned Roger Taylor's Bb at the end of the operatic bit of Bo Rhap is in the 5th octave, and I'm fairly 99% sure that Matt's highest note will be in the 5th octave as well. Microcuts is G#5 to begin with then he goes up to A5 later on. I'm not sure if he has hit any considerably higher notes but anything above E6 (which was Freddie Mercury's highest note on 'It's Late' from 'News Of The World') is just silly :D

Hi,

men's voices do indeed get lower with age. That's probably the reason why "Unintended" has been sung lower at Wembley than in the early Muse-times (for example on the Hullabaloo-dvd). And, comparing "Micro cuts" from 2001 to 2007, I think it was clear to hear that Matt had quite a few problems to hit the high notes in 2007, he rather screamed, whereas in 2001, he seemed quite "comfortable" singing them... And I think that you can hear how his voice is changing (getting lower) in every interview he gives, compare the early ones to the newest... Hell of a loss indeed - but still: he's got a very beautiful, warm and resonating voice, and I'm looking forward to their new songs, because I could imagine that the new songs Matt writes are perfectly fitting to his matured voice, as they have always been... ;)

The article pretty much sums it up, although it uses an alternate convention for octave numbers (which are unfortunately not 100% standard, and get very annoying when you mess around with lots of keyboards and sequencers like I do).

So in scientific pitch notation, Matt's range is actually G2 to A5.

G2 is a pretty common bottom note for tenor males. A5 is a pretty high top note, that tenor males cannot reach in chest voice but some can reach using head voice/falsetto techniques, like Matt.

Other high pitch references:

-The high note (for me, for me, for ME) in Bohemian Rhapsody is approximately a Bb5. I say approximately because the song does not use standard 440Hz tuning (I forget if it's slightly lower or higher)

-The highest note in Deep Purple's Child in Time is an A5.

The human voice does get lower with age (so one's whole range shifts down), but if one takes good care of their voice, the effect is not THAT dramatic, as in you'll go down approximately 2 to 3 semi-tones by the time you're 65 (no good research exists beyond this age). Obviously, bad vocal habits, or habits that are detrimental the the lungs and/or throat areas (such as smoking) can make this much worse.

Other things can temporarily affect one's range, although research on this is limited and therefore, I'll only provide experimental examples, which are not recommended and at your own risk, but can certainly be worth a laugh or two:

-one's range can be shifted up by inhaling helium, producing something close to the chipmunk effect

-one's range is typically slightly lower in the first hours after waking up in the morning

-one's range is typically lower the day after drinking a lot of alcohol

One morning, after drinking lots of port wine the night before, I was able to sing a Bb1, much lower than my normal bottom E2.

No human has a range close to that of a grand piano (A0 to C8), and Matt belongs in that category as well. Claims exist of high notes beyond C8 attained, but none have been verified; and I don't think anyone has ever challenged (or even come close to) the A0 for a low.

Phew... I don't think any more technical info can fit in a post now ;)

I thought Spiral Static was where his voice managed to go the lowest.

To quote our ever trusted source of knowledge (i.e. Musewiki ;) )

"The studio version also has Matt singing his lowest full note to date, ands in turn Spiral Static displays the greatest vocal range out of all of Muse's songs, consisting of nearly three octaves (A2 up to F#5)"

That's actually one of the reasons why it is one of my favorite songs - the kind of voice crescendo gives me chills every time I listen to it...

Heh I stand corrected on the unproven high note part.

They don't actually show anything beyond G#8 in that second video, despite the record claimed to be G10; admitedly, a lot of audio equipment, and audio encryption would not be able to reproduce a G10, but the 9th octave should have been possible.

Archived