Matt's Vocal Range

i don't even care about the tech aspects of notes and range and all that. but the things he can do w/ that voice amaze me. it gives me chills (in quite a few places) and that's what matters to me. the question is interesting, though and if i knew more about musical notes and such, i'd be curious too.

Oh really I've never noticed :indiff:

I meant I take it he meant the highest A sharp on the piano.. he explained it but it was an old interview the one from 2003

Do you have any idea how high that is? 2 more semitones and you're at the wood end of the piano.

Theres a note at the end of Megalomania (3:38) which rivals micro cuts. Its in the background and i thought it was keyboard for years.

*listens* Its pretty damn high. I reckon as high as micro cuts if not higher.

Thought we agreed in a similar thread that the highest note is in Plug in Baby..

Do I have to say it over and over... the highest note is in Showbiz and I've proven it by playing a recording comparing Microcuts and Showbiz...

forgive me if there's a higher note in Microcuts but it's NOT in PIB

Do I have to say it over and over... the highest note is in Showbiz and I've proven it by playing a recording comparing Microcuts and Showbiz...

forgive me if there's a higher note in Microcuts but it's NOT in PIB

*listens* I think the megalomania and showbiz high notes are about the same so i'll go with that. Its not like it really matters.

His highest sung note is when he sometimes sings the high A (i think that's A6 on the piano scale) at the end of Butterflies & Hurricanes live...

His lowest notes may be on spiral static...which may well be an A3..i think.

The most impressive high-note that he has ever sung for me is on the 'break' section on Microcuts where he hits a G6 from nothing...i mean from not going up the scale with his voice....

my god...A6? G6?...those are really amazing notes for a male singer to be able to hit! I knew from Microcuts Matt could do some very high stuff, but I always assumed the notes were in the 4's or 5's. Thats really impressive, since Roger Taylor of Queen hits a Bb5 at the end of the operatic section of Bohemian Rhapsody, and thats considered to be one of the highest notes reached by a male in popular music. Freddie Mercury I know could get somewhere around B5 as well, if he strained. Then I know Rob Halford from Judas Priest can do some stuff similar to Roger Taylor as well. Jeff Buckley could do some very high stuff also, but it appears that Matt has all of these amazing singers beat in the high note department! :eek:

my god...A6? G6?...those are really amazing notes for a male singer to be able to hit! I knew from Microcuts Matt could do some very high stuff, but I always assumed the notes were in the 4's or 5's. Thats really impressive, since Roger Taylor of Queen hits a Bb5 at the end of the operatic section of Bohemian Rhapsody, and thats considered to be one of the highest notes reached by a male in popular music. Freddie Mercury I know could get somewhere around B5 as well, if he strained. Then I know Rob Halford from Judas Priest can do some stuff similar to Roger Taylor as well. Jeff Buckley could do some very high stuff also, but it appears that Matt has all of these amazing singers beat in the high note department

I suspect i was wrong in this department...i think it is an octave lower so A5 and G5 respectively.

Freddy Mercury could hit the Bb5 in Bohemian Rhapsody, but i never witnessed him perform these high notes live...

I think Jeff Buckley could hit a squeal at Eb6...but it's just a sqeal...no vibrato or anything like that. On the other hand, Martin Grech can hit amazing notes! I think the last i checked he could hit a D6 or E6 with control...check out the song DALI...

K, can we all agree to that and move on to what the lowest one is?

Is it in spiral static?

Probably. To be honest, nobody cares. They're all too busy proving how Matt's an 'alien' with his 'unnaturally high' voice :rolleyes:

I suspect i was wrong in this department...i think it is an octave lower so A5 and G5 respectively.

Freddy Mercury could hit the Bb5 in Bohemian Rhapsody, but i never witnessed him perform these high notes live...

I think Jeff Buckley could hit a squeal at Eb6...but it's just a sqeal...no vibrato or anything like that. On the other hand, Martin Grech can hit amazing notes! I think the last i checked he could hit a D6 or E6 with control...check out the song DALI...

still, anything in the 5's is amazing. Freddie rarely did hit those live, but he did do it, but Roger Taylor did lots of high falsetto stuff a lot of the time in Queen's tours, especially with songs like in the Lap of the Gods, where people claimed that studio manipulation was used, so he sang the high parts live to prove them wrong.

That note in Megalomania background is G5 or G6 (I don't know how to count octaves), either way its not as high as Microcuts.

i just noticed it!

microcuts has an Ab (or G# if you want)so its like a semitone higher than G in Megalomania

Archived