Overall I think ST lyrics are a huge leap (back) in the right direction. In part because I'm not distracted by them (Dark Side, Pressure, Something Human, Break it to Me) and in part because they're just really good (Blockades, The Void, parts of Algorithm).

I'm on the fence about TC, mainly because of the "final solution" line, which is a bit much.

Propaganda is ok too, I suppose, though "flooooooozy" is my least favorite part of the song.

I love floozy! Matt’s vocal has taken surprising new turns.

OoS lyrics aren't even that great overall.

They're not. But because they're mostly nonsense they're not distracting to me, which makes the vocals just another instrument rather than something that takes me away from enjoying the music.

They're not. But because they're mostly nonsense they're not distracting to me, which makes the vocals just another instrument rather than something that takes me away from enjoying the music.

Seriously? I think stuff like "This means war with your creator" makes the music much more epic and powerful.

Seriously? I think stuff like "This means war with your creator" makes the music much more epic and powerful.

Yes, that line's fine.

I'm not sure if it's the vocal delivery too. I can imagine some OoS lyrics becoming quite jarring if they're delivered in Matt's current sincere singing voice.

I guess with Matt's current intimate, somewhat musical-esque vocal delivery the lyrics really have to connect with me for them to match the way in which they are delivered. I'd have preferred a more urgent and squeezed Take a Bow-like delivery for Algorithm.

The lyrics to The Void are great.

And I definitely think the vocal delivery is at fault for making some lyrics come across terribly.

And I definitely think the vocal delivery is at fault for making some lyrics come across terribly.

Yeah, it definitely is a big factor.

Though I never minded the vocal delivery in songs like B&H, Blackout and Invincible, but I had some beef with the positivity-guru clichés in those songs at the start as well. (At the time I didn't know how bad it could get.)

Blackout :love:- It surely has to be the most poetic thing Matt has ever written without coming across at all cheesy. And the message is perfectly sensible and reasonable by Muse standards:

- Live in the here and now, enjoy the gifts of youth while you still can

- Don't beat yourself up about days gone by, you can't change the past

- Appreciate the things you have now because they might not last forever and you never know what may lurk around the corner

- Acknowledge your own mortality but don't let it define your own lifetime

'Don't kid yourself

And don't fool yourself

This love's too good to last

And I'm too old to dream

Don't grow up too fast

And don't embrace the past

This life's too good to last

And i'm too young to care

Don't kid yourself

And don't fool yourself

This life could be the last

And we're too young to see'

Blackout :love:- It surely has to be the most poetic thing Matt has ever written without coming across at all cheesy. And the message is perfectly sensible and reasonable by Muse standards:

- Live in the here and now, enjoy the gifts of youth while you still can

- Don't beat yourself up about days gone by, you can't change the past

- Appreciate the things you have now because they might not last forever and you never know what may lurk around the corner

- Acknowledge your own mortality but don't let it define your own lifetime

'Don't kid yourself

And don't fool yourself

This love's too good to last

And I'm too old to dream

Don't grow up too fast

And don't embrace the past

This life's too good to last

And i'm too young to care

Don't kid yourself

And don't fool yourself

This life could be the last

And we're too young to see'

Yeah, it's not bad at all, in hindsight. Though I still find "don't kid yourself and don't fool yourself" a little redundant.

It surely has to be the most poetic thing Matt has ever written without coming across at all cheesy.

I mean it depends how we define poetic but FAWY or Screenager