UK update: Muse have no songs charting. :p

Saying that I have heard Madness quite a bit on the radio,even on our local one which is weird.Maybe its starting to do well?

Got a question for you-

So in Mediabase (radio airplay chart), I see Madness is #3 on Alternative & just 40 spins away from #1, which it’ll get to in a week or less, assuming current #1 & 2 don’t magically get new momentum. It’s also doing pretty well in Adult Alternative at #12 & climbing. Do you think Madness will be marketed to pop stations, & if so, when? Actually, I mean HotAC – that’s such a huge market & where I think Madness would fit perfectly.

Uprising was promoted to HAC/Adult Top 40 radio in Dec 2009 after rock stations got it first and peaked at a respectable #14 at that format. I assume a similar marketing strategy will be followed with Madness. If Panic Station is promoted to pop and rhythmic, Muse could get its first top 40 hit at those formats.

Madness becomes the band's second highest charting single on the Billboard Rock Songs chart this week climbing to #3. Uprising spent 52 weeks on this chart and peaked at #2. This chart measures audience impressions for songs played at modern rock, mainstream rock and Triple A (Adult Alternative) stations.

Lumineers, Mumford & Sons and Muse are in a very competitive contest for #1 at Alternative Songs. Each of their songs has gotten over 1800 spins this past week. Madness topped station playlists in Seattle, Portland and Tampa

this past week.

The Killers debuted at #1 on the UK album chart with 94k copies sold while Pink was second with 80k copies according to the Official Charts Company. Pink will debut at #1 on the US album chart with just under 300k copies sold while the Killers sold just over 100k. Mumford & Sons will debut at #1 next week in both the UK and US with massive sales, perhaps as high as 600k in the States and over 150k in the UK. Their SNL appearance this past weekend definitely helped boost sales. Mumford and Muse will fight it out for #1 on both the Alternative Songs and album charts in two weeks. It all depends on how much the second week drop off in sales for Babel will be.

Edited by muse s'amuse

Thanks again for the updates!

Madness seems to be stalled at the moment at #3 Alternative but holding its ground. I hope it continues to hold at least until week of SNL when Muse gets some attention in the US again.

And another question-

What’s your take on this Billboard article? http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/record-labels/grammy-awards-deadline-spurs-early-vinyl-1007957772.story

By releasing vinyl-only this Saturday, there’s the obvious desire for The 2nd Law to be eligible for the 2012 Grammys. But then does this mean it won’t be eligible for the 2013 Grammys? Or, with the vinyl out just before 2012 deadline & cd out just after, will they qualify for *both* 2012 & 2013 Grammys? Also, article mentions vinyl sales this week will cut into the following week’s main sales. Will this really affect their chart position? I’m assuming that the only vinyl sales counting this week are those in the US who ordered the box set.

I don't think The 2nd Law will be eligible for the 2013 Grammys (airing in 2014) due to the early vinyl release date - but presumably anything released as a single later on down the road would be eligible. This is a good thing though, because the 2013 Grammy's are 16 months into the future, so if the album missed this year's cut-off, it would probably just get lost in the shuffle by that point.

Not sure if the website boxset applies to the adjusted vinyl release date. I don't think it would be too significant regardless though. Vinyl's still a novelty even though it is experiencing a bit of a rebirth, and expensive box sets are even more so of a novelty.

Thanks to both of you for your well informed posts.

Because of the vinyl release of T2L on Saturday 29 September in the USA it will be eligible to be nominated for the 55th annual Grammy Awards taking place on 10 February 2013. Early vinyl releases for new albums from Barbra Streisand and Diana Krall are also taking place this week to meet the Grammy eligibility requirements. Because there are only two days in the tracking period T2L is unlikely to sell 3k copies to make next week's Billboard's 200 album chart. It is up to record labels to submit singles and albums to be placed on Recording Academy voters' Grammy nomination ballots. I assume Warner Bros. Records will push Survival and Madness and T2L, respectively. Subsequent singles such as Panic Station will be eligible for the following year's Grammy Awards. Nominations will be announced on Wednesday 5 December 2012 in Nashville on a CBS television special.

Edited by muse s'amuse

Madness seems to be stalled at the moment at #3 Alternative but holding its ground. I hope it continues to hold at least until week of SNL when Muse gets some attention in the US again.

"I Will Wait" will likely hit #1 on the chart next week. The SNL performance and Babel album release along with heavy label promotion may keep it at the top for several weeks. "Madness" will almost certainly make it to #2.

Mylo Xyloto debuted at #1 in the USA but experienced a 76% sales decline in its second week of release. If Babel experiences a similar decrease, T2L has a chance at debuting at #1. The new Muse album should at least be the highest debut on the chart at either #1 or #2. TV exposure and prominent placement on iTunes helps immensely. That is why the SNL appearance was scheduled and the album is streaming on the latter platform this week.

By the looks of things... The 2nd law could go No1 in the UK & US. (No2 in pre sales)

Not sure about that in the US, Mumford & Sons' new album has been sold almost 600k this week (debut), and I think it will be still sold about 300k next week, while estimate of T2L sales at first week is around 150k.

I hope I am wrong though :p

Pop Radio?hmm if starlight didnt make it to pop radio I don't know what will.

Its a shame as bands like Coldplay make it.

To each their own but I personally wouldn't want Muse to become like Coldplay. (i like Coldplay's first two albums but not really anything since)

Compare muse to Coldplay again and :fear:

You would get me arguing with an agreement like that. Coldplay are just not in Muse's league.

UK update: Muse have no songs charting. :p

New UK chart just released for week ending 29 September:

#12 "I Will Wait" Mumford & Sons (New peak position due to Babel album release)

#28 "Madness" Muse (New peak position due to performance on Jools Holland/BBC)

USA Update for Madness:

#2 Alternative Songs

#9 Triple A

#60 Digital Songs

#79 Billboard Hot 100 (New peak position)

150k downloads sold

Just saw this: @WarnerBrosPromo: Madness" from @muse is NUMBER ONE on today's Alternative BDS AirPlay chart! Congrats #Muse ! Retweet

UPDATE

Songs ranked by peak position reached on Billboard's Alternative Songs/Modern Rock radio airplay chart based on weekly spins at about 50 alt-rock radio stations in the USA:

#1 "Madness" (19 non-consecutive weeks @ No. 1) - Certified Platinum and has sold over one million downloads per Nielsen Soundscan

#1 "Uprising" (17 non-consecutive weeks @ No. 1; 28 weeks in the top three; 44 weeks in the top ten; and 53 total weeks on the chart) - Certified Platinum and has sold over 2 million downloads per Nielsen Soundscan

#1 "Resistance" (4 weeks @ No. 1 and 33 total weeks on the chart)

#2 "Starlight" (Certified Gold - 3 week at #2 and 26 total weeks on the chart)

#2 "Panic Station" - As of May 2013

#4 "Undisclosed Desires"

#6 "Supermassive Black Hole"

#9 "Hysteria"

#9 "Time Is Running Out"

#10 "Knights of Cydonia"

#14 "Neutron Star Collision (Love is Forever)"

#31 "Stockholm Syndrome"

#39 "Survival" (Billboard Rock Songs chart position - it just missed the published Alternative Songs chart)

#39 "Supremacy" (Billboard Rock Songs chart position based on digital sales and streaming)

Album rank by peak position reached on the Billboard 200 Album chart:

#2 The 2nd Law (400k copies sold to date)

#3 The Resistance (Certified Gold - Almost 800k copies sold to date)

#9 Black Holes and Revelations (Certified Gold - Almost 800k copies sold to date)

#46 HAARP (CD/DVD Certified Gold)

#107 Absolution (Certified Gold - Over 700k copies sold to date)

#161 Origin of Symmetry*

*Never released by the record label in the USA during 2001-2003. It was released in 2005 and finally charted for one week in 2010. The band's first album Showbiz has never charted.

Edited by muse s'amuse

Just saw this: @WarnerBrosPromo: Madness" from @muse is NUMBER ONE on today's Alternative BDS AirPlay chart! Congrats #Muse ! Retweet

Amazing!

Thanks for sharing the good news. Madness reached the top position in its sixth week on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart just like Uprising. It was a very close race for the top. Mumford & Son's first single I Will Wait is in the runner up spot. The rankings are reversed on the Mediabase chart.

The midweek chart in the UK shows T2L at #1 with estimated first week sales of over 100k. By comparison TR debuted in the UK in September 2009 with 148k copies. Babel debuted last week with sales of 159k in the UK and with sales of 600k in the USA.

Industry sources project first week sales in the range of 100-120k for T2L in the USA which will make it the top debut on the Billboard 200 chart at #2. The SNL performances this weekend should energize sales on Sunday and possibly get the album to #1 on iTunes. TR debuted with 128k copies in first week sales in September 2009 while BH&R debuted with approx 45k copies in July 2006.

The 2nd Law (Peak Position)

Worldwide iTunes Album Chart - 28 September thru 3 October 2012

UK

France

Italy

Netherlands

Switzerland

Sweden

Belgium

Bulgaria

Czech Republic

Norway

Estonia

Finland

Greece

Hungary

New Zealand

Latvia

Luxembourg

Mexico

Poland

Portugal

Romania

Slovakia

Slovenia

Hong Kong

Malaysia

Singapore

Taiwan

Thailand

USA

Canada

Spain

Chile

Denmark

Ireland

Lithuania

Germany

Austria

Argentina

Brazil

Colombia

Japan

Australia

Ecuador

Guatemala

Venezuela

Peru

Philippines

Source: KWORB

Edited by muse s'amuse

Amazing!

Thanks for sharing the good news. Madness reached the top position in its sixth week on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart just like Uprising. It was a very close race for the top. Mumford & Son's first single I Will Wait is in the runner up spot. The rankings are reversed on the Mediabase chart.

No problem!

Number 1 in 27 countries? :stunned: TR got #1 in 19 iirc. That's nice.

Yeah. Pretty surprised how well it's doing, but happy as well. :happy:

Yeah. Pretty surprised how well it's doing, but happy as well. :happy:

That's because this album is better than TR by a long mile :yesey:

I can't even count, those are 28 countries. Isn't this a record? #1 in 28 different countries on iTunes is just incredible.

That's because this album is better than TR by a long mile :yesey:

True. :LOL: But didn't it feel like TR had more buildup and promotion leading up to the release? I guess all that momentum is just carrying over to The 2nd Law's sales?

True. :LOL: But didn't it feel like TR had more buildup and promotion leading up to the release? I guess all that momentum is just carrying over to The 2nd Law's sales?

This album had actually less promotion! But surely the huge fame bump they got with TR and the last tour influenced this success.