I updated two of my recent posts above with the latest radio airplay stats for the band in the USA.

The Resistance has now sold more than 500k copies in the United Kingdom, France and the United States and has sold about 2.6 million copies worldwide. Last week due to their headlining performance at Glastonbury which was broadcast on the BBC the album experienced a massive sales jump and sold approx 10k copies in the UK. It climbed from #62 to #13 on the Official UK Album chart last week and this week it occupies #22. It continues to sell about 4-6k copies a week in the USA.

Edited by muse s'amuse

My favorite album is Absolution as well! Love it!

But in case of americans and the music... I think so too they don't have taste in music. Most of them.

OFF TOPIC: For example: I don't think Madonna has a great voice. She's just as famous for her scandals. Nothing else.

It climbed from #62 to #13 on the Official UK Album chart.

I love what I read! Well done!

No kidding! It's so so sad. :(

One of my friends (who doesn't like Muse) always goes "This is why no one knows who they are -- because they suck!" And she refuses to believe me when I try to explain that they're huge in Europe *sigh* And another one of my friends refers to them as a "one-hit wonder" (for Uprising).

Ughhhhh!

Believe me. The future will tell it all ;)

My favorite album is Absolution as well! Love it!

But in case of americans and the music... I think so too they don't have taste in music. Most of them.

As an American, I'm going to agree and disagree with you. :)

I think that there is some really awful music coming out of the U.S. Horrible, tasteless, mindless, crap. It's one reason why most of the people I listen to haven't released an album in 30+ years. :$

But I think it's kinda unfair to say we all have bad taste in music--not all of us do. But Americans generally listen to the music we're exposed to and that our radio stations and media outlets choose to play and promote, and what they choose to play and promote is, unfortunately, not Muse. :(

How is Muse not promoted? Uprising is overplayed to the point of ridiculousness.

How is Muse not promoted? Uprising is overplayed to the point of ridiculousness.

First--I like your avatar/icon very much! :yesey:

I generalized based upon how much promotion Muse/Uprising gets in my radio market, which is 34 places lower than your radio market in overall size, and I shouldn't have. I think what I was trying to say is that on an overall nationwide level, Muse doesn't seem to get as much airplay/media exposure as many "mainstream" Top 40 artists like Lady Gaga or other artists in Muse's genre/radio format.

On a country-wide airplay level, Uprising is not within the Top 40 on Billboard's Radio Chart for the week of July 17th, which counts the week's most popular songs across genres based upon radio airplay as measured by Nielsen. Radio Chart for 7/17

Uprising surprisingly was never promoted at Mainstream Top 40 pop radio in the USA by their record label. Despite this the first single from TR still went gold. Muse hopefully will get their first Grammy nomination in early December when this years nominations are announced by NARAS in Hollywood.

My radio market has been playing Undisclosed Desires A LOT the past few days. I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the US charts soon. No NSC here in quite a while.

My radio market has been playing Undisclosed Desires A LOT the past few days. I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the US charts soon. No NSC here in quite a while.

I have yet to actually hear Undisclosed Desires on the radio. Here they rotate Supermassive Black Hole, Starlight, Uprising, and Resistance. That's about it.

I have yet to actually hear Undisclosed Desires on the radio. Here they rotate Supermassive Black Hole, Starlight, Uprising, and Resistance. That's about it.

Well, the station here has been going crazy for Muse since the Not So Silent Night and the return gig in April. They made a big deal when NSC came out and played it on the hour, every hour for two days. But people called in a lot and said they would rather hear other Muse. So they played more KoC and Starlight, aside from the usual Uprising and Resistance, which plays ALL THE TIME!

I remember them playing UD around the time when the video came out. But not much since. Now it's back on the radio and getting plenty of positive responses. They read texts on air during lunch and some people said it's the sexiest song on the radio today. Soooo, I imagine they'll keep it on for a bit longer than NSC for sure. :LOL:

British and French bands still rule last week's Alternative rock airplay chart in the USA:

1. Muse - 2,283 spins for three songs (Uprising, Resistance and NSC)

2. Phoenix - 2,195 spins for two songs (Lisztomania and 1901)

Source: Mediabase

The single Uprising has now been certified gold by the RIAA. Muse continue to have three songs ranked in the top 30 of the Billboard Modern Rock songs chart for the ninth week in a row. NSC has peaked however and will not reach the top 10 on this chart.

Update:

Phoenix now has more plays (2,246 for its two songs) than Muse which is now in second place with 2,181 spins for its latest three releases according to the most recent Mediabase rankings. NCS only received 411 spins last week. However when airplay for other Muse songs like SMBH, UD, Starlight, Hysteria, etc. is taken into account it is very likely Muse remains the most played act in that radio format.

Amazing stat!! "Uprising" debuted at #16 on the Billboard Modern Rock airplay chart dated 22 August 2009. It is still ranked at #12 on the latest 31 July 2010 chart after 50 weeks and has never dropped below its debut position.

Edited by muse s'amuse

*NEW ULTIMATE CHART INTRODUCED IN THE USA THIS WEEK*

This chart tracks single sales and downloads and broadcast radio airplay of songs like the Billboard Top 100 but incorporates two additional components to rank songs popularity: Watch & Listening (video viewing and audio streaming) and Fans, Friends and Followers (social media like Facebook and Twitters). Click the hyperlink below to check out the ranking of songs and artists:

http://www.ultimatechart.com/#/songs

NOTE: Muse has two songs ranked in the top 100 including Uprising at #87 on this new chart and is ranked as the 36th most popular artist.

What do you guys think of this new chart? I think there are too many Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga songs on the list and NSC is shockingly ranked at #91 based almost solely on the popularity of Twilight Eclipse in the social media forums.

I think it's more accurate and indicative of the complete shit that saturates the US music market. With that said, the top artist chart is a lot better than the singles/song chart.

UPDATE

Their first #1 single "Uprising" debuted at #16 on the Billboard Alternative/Modern Rock tracks chart dated 22 August 2009. It is ranked at #11 on the latest 07 August 2010 chart after 51 weeks and has never dropped below its debut position. It is still getting about 900 weekly spins. "Uprising" has also charted on the Mainstream Rock, Adult Top 40 and Triple A radio airplay charts but the band has never had a Top 40 pop hit in the USA despite their last three albums achieving Gold certification in that market and the band selling out arenas like Madison Square Garden and Staples Center.

Their second #1 single "Resistance" is currently ranked at no. 13 on the Alternative chart while the Twilight single NSC dropped off the chart this week after peaking at #14 six weeks ago. I do not know whether their U.S. label has plans to release a third single from TR although some radio stations are giving UD some airplay.

UPDATE

Their first #1 single "Uprising" debuted at #16 on the Billboard Alternative/Modern Rock tracks chart dated 22 August 2009. It is ranked at #11 on the latest 07 August 2010 chart after 51 weeks and has never dropped below its debut position. It is still getting about 900 weekly spins. "Uprising" has also charted on the Mainstream Rock, Adult Top 40 and Triple A radio airplay charts but the band has never had a Top 40 pop hit in the USA despite their last three albums achieving Gold certification in that market and the band selling out arenas like Madison Square Garden and Staples Center.

Their second #1 single "Resistance" is currently ranked at no. 13 on the Alternative chart while the Twilight single NSC dropped off the chart this week after peaking at #14 six weeks ago. I do not know whether their U.S. label has plans to release a third single from TR although some radio stations are giving UD some airplay.

:p

That's funny.

Kudos to the band from Teignmouth (which was attacked by the French in the year 1340 and for a second time in 1690)!

Since the Alternative chart's inception in the Billboard issue dated Sept. 10, 1988, just five songs have spent 16 weeks or more at no. 1:

18 weeks, "The Pretender," Foo Fighters (2007)

17 weeks, "Uprising," Muse (2009-10)

16 weeks, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," Green Day (2004-05)

16 weeks, "It's Been Awhile," Staind (2001)

16 weeks, "Scar Tissue," Red Hot Chili Peppers (1999)

"Uprising" is probably the biggest hit in the modern rock format if total weeks spent in the top ten of this Billboard airplay chart are taken into account to rank the above five songs. "Uprising" has spent an amazing 43 weeks in the top ten while "The Pretender" had a total of 36 weeks in the top ten. "In the End" by Linkin Park is also a contender for the most played song in the history of this particular chart.

Source: Billboard Chart Beat column by Gary Trust in January 2010

NOTE: Another trade publication Mediabase actually lists "Uprising" as the song with the most weeks ever at no. 1 on their alternative songs chart - 19 weeks.

Combining album sales and radio airplay, the following bands (in no particular order) are among the most popular alternative modern rock artists in the USA during the past ten years:

Linkin Park

Green Day

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Foo Fighters

Incubus

Blink-182

Muse

U2

Coldplay

Three Days Grace

Staind

Audioslave

Edited by muse s'amuse

I still haven't heard Muse on the radio since 2007. :'(

Then again, I listen to it only in the car, and usually it's set to jazz or christian stuff. :p

My station really only plays Uprising and Supermassive Black Hole. Uprising is massively overplayed...like...Linkin Park-style overplayed. TiRO, Starlight, and KoC all had their time, though.

Rock station in my neck of the woods has played TIRO (which was what got me into Muse btw), KoC, and Hysteria. I'm sure the mainstream radio has played Uprising plenty though.

I still haven't heard Muse on the radio since 2007. :'(

Then again, I listen to it only in the car, and usually it's set to jazz or christian stuff. :p

I was in my car three separate times the other day with the radio on in the background, heard a different muse song each time (Resistance, Uprising and NSC)... same radio station :stunned: The day before I had heard two different muse songs within an hour of each other on this same station :erm:

They've only started playing NSC regularly recently, I heard it 3 days in a row first thing when I got in the car - the song or commercial that was on when I turned on the radio ended and the next thing I knew it was "iiiiii was seeeeeeeearching...", it was actually kinda comical...

</ramble>

"Uprising" remains at no. 11 on the Billboard Alternative songs chart. It has now spent an entire year (52 weeks) on the chart. It is probably the biggest #1 song in the history of this 22 year old chart measured by weeks spent at the top (17 weeks) and number of weeks spent in the top ten (43 weeks). It debuted at no. 16 a year ago and entered the top ten the following week. Its lowest rank since then has been at #13. "Uprising" will be removed from the chart by Billboard and become a recurrent only after it ranks below no. 20.

It appears the label is promoting "Undisclosed Desires" to radio as the next single in the USA. It received about 157 plays at Modern Rock stations last week and will likely debut on the Alternative Songs chart in the coming weeks. If so, UD will be the band's 10th song to appear on this particular Billboard rock airplay chart.

Top songs ranked by number of spins so far in 2010 on U.S. modern rock radio according to Mediabase:

1. Muse "Uprising" (36,400 plays)

2. Rise Against "Savior" (35,800 plays)

3. Phoenix "1901"

4. The Dirty Heads f/Rome "Lay Me Down"

5. Muse "Resistance"

"Uprising" and "Savior" are so close because the latter song has spent 59 weeks on the chart after debuting at no. 33 in July 2009 and has actually spent more weeks in the top ten (52 weeks) than "Uprising" but "Savior" only peaked at no. 3. By the way, "1901" has also spent 56 weeks on the chart and is still ranked in the top ten as is "Savior."

I estimate "Uprising" has been played at least 100,000 times at all U.S. radio formats (rock and adult) since it was released a year ago. This seems to be a large number of spins but by way of comparison the current pop singles by Katy Perry f/Snoop Dogg "California Gurls" and Eminem f/Rihanna "Love the Way You Lie" get 20,000 to 22,000 spins in one week!!

Edited by muse s'amuse

I feel so left out now. :'(

Maybe I just don't listen to the radio enough. :LOL:

But seriously, the closest I've gotten was people talking about Muse's US tour earlier this year. And then they played Incubus right after. They didn't play Muse before it, either.

UD was never officially a single in America, so that's probably why you haven't heard it. Maybe they'll use it or even another song to promote the upcoming Fall tour, but for now Uprising (now certified GOLD by the RIAA), Resistance and NSC have been the only American "singles" - NSC not even being on the album proper worries me that they might even be done pulling from the album. I'm somewhat surprised there's not some "Special" edition of the album with that song tacked onto it.

It appears the label is promoting "Undisclosed Desires" to radio as the next single in the USA. It received about 157 plays at Modern Rock stations last week and will likely debut on the Alternative Songs chart in the coming weeks. If so, UD will be the band's 10th song to appear on this particular Billboard rock airplay chart.

Told ya so! :happy::LOL:

**UPDATE**

"Undisclosed Desires" debuts at #37 on the Alternative Rock songs chart this week per Billboard while "Resistance" has been moved to recurrent because it likely dropped below No. 20 after spending 33 weeks on the chart. "Uprising" lost only about 50 plays last week so it likely remains on the chart. New singles by Linkin Park "The Catalyst" and Arcade Fire "Ready to Start" are among the other debuts besides UD. Chester Bennington of LP was reportedly at the Muse gig in Phoenix in April 2010 and was favorably impressed by their performance. His band's new song debuts at No. 3 this week. Almost all 57 Alternative radio stations in the USA have added "The Catalyst" to their playlists while only about 17 are currently playing the hip-hop flavored UD including KROQ in Los Angeles.

Speaking of LA, Beckham, Williams, and Bellamy were in the Southland this past weekend. Becks was at the Rose Bowl for the Galaxy/Real Madrid friendly soccer match attended by 89,134 spectators including me, Robbie got married, and I think Matt had a date elsewhere in town.

Edited by muse s'amuse