How many countries is that now then? I count:

#1 in Belgium, France, Netherlands, Finland, New Zealand and UK.

#2 in Australia, Germany and Ireland

#1 in Italy, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Poland, Portugal and Greece

#2 in the USA, Canada, and Spain

#4 in Hungary

#5 in the Czech Republic and Japan

I will link a global album chart showing worldwide first week sales for T2L later this week. There are many other countries in Europe, in the Americas and Asia where the album most likely debuted in the top five.

muse s’amuse, you hinted that Mumford & Sons’ label did a good job w/ their album. So what’s your opinion on how Warner (or Muse management) has promoted T2L?

Radio promo in the USA - Excellent (KROQ and a few other radio station interviews - Airplay adds and weekly spins for Madness have been very impressive and some stations are already giving Follow Me a few plays)

TV Promo in the USA - Terrible (Except for the belated SNL appearance with about five million viewers, there was no television exposure/awareness at all - NBC edited out Survival at the London Olympics and VH1 has not yet premiered Madness on their weekend Top 20 countdown show and MTV has apparently not even aired it once - No interviews or performances on any prime time shows or late night talk shows)

Print media promo in the USA (No Rolling Stone cover and hardly any interviews) - Fail

Thanks to Muse's loyal fan base in the USA, the album and single are doing well at retail and on the charts. Mumford & Sons appeal to a wider demographic (rock, country, folk) and they also did a lot of shows in the USA before Babel was released.

Only #2 in Canada?

I wonder what beat it.

Probably Mumford who also beat them in Ireland and the USA. Pink beat them in Australia and Seeed beat them in Germany. Album sales for some countries, for example, Italy and Canada, have not yet been released so the chart positions may change somewhat.

Edited by muse s'amuse

#4 in Hungary

I will link a global album chart showing worldwide first week sales for T2L later this week. There are many other countries in Europe, in the Americas and Asia where the album most likely debuted in the top five.

How do you know it's #1 in Italy? The chart is not out yet :erm:

(even though there's no doubt it's n. 1 :LOL:)

Probably Mumford who also beat them in Ireland and the USA.

That's a shame.

Thanks for this info though. Tis' interesting.

#4 in Hungary

Amazing. Pleased for Muse (even though Warner will get most of the money from album sales)! But endless growth is unsustainable.

I don't know why Muse doesn't do any tv appearances in the states. Surely they'd benefit from going on 2 or 3 late night shows. Every big band I can think of does late night shows for an album release, all they did was SNL.

I don't know why Muse doesn't do any tv appearances in the states. Surely they'd benefit from going on 2 or 3 late night shows. Every big band I can think of does late night shows for an album release, all they did was SNL.

I agree. I want them to have a one hour special on The Colbert Report (like Radiohead did).

That would make my life complete.

TV Promo in the USA - Terrible (Except for the belated SNL appearance with about five million viewers, there was no television exposure/awareness at all - NBC edited out Survival at the London Olympics and VH1 has not yet premiered Madness on their weekend Top 20 countdown show and MTV has apparently not even aired it once - No interviews or performances on any prime time shows or late night talk shows)

Print media promo in the USA (No Rolling Stone cover and hardly any interviews) – Fail

Thanks for the reply! So whose fault is it that Muse wasn’t promoted on TV & print like they were in other countries?

I know- seems like all I’ve seen on late night lately are crappy or lesser known bands. Come on, w/ all the shows out there – Kimmell, Leno, Fallon, Letterman, Ferguson, etc. you’d think they could fit Muse in there somewhere! What gives?

I agree. I want them to have a one hour special on The Colbert Report (like Radiohead did).
Yup. And Morrissey was pretty awesome & hilarious last night on Colbert!

Muse probably won't be on any late night shows until their US tour starts. Maybe something that films on the west coast in January, and then Letterman/east coast in April. Letterman's been doing a lot of lengthier "concerts" lately for streaming on the internet, so that would be pretty ideal.

The advertising has been pretty poor so far compared to The Resistance.Maybe they are just relying on their fans more this time round.When TR came out they did have a spot on the MTV VMAs which surely gave them a boost for sales and also more posters were around..But hopefully they will be performing on other award shows(hopefully Grammys) which will boost their profile a bit.

Maybe this is the biggest they can get and they realise this?

Ok the italian chart for last week is officially out (1st to 7th October), The 2nd Law is at #1.

The Resistance is at 64, BH&R is at 74, Absolution is at 86.

Ok the italian chart for last week is officially out (1st to 7th October), The 2nd Law is at #1.

The Resistance is at 64, BH&R is at 74, Absolution is at 86.

How many copies T2L has sold so far?

How many copies T2L has sold so far?

I don't know, the chart site doesn't say anything about sales numbers :(

The 2nd Law debuted at #2 in South Korea.

USA Billboard chart positions for Madness this week:

#64 Hot 100 (It has moved up the past two week due to streaming at Spotify)

#2 Alternative Songs (Retains its bullet since airplay is still increasing)

#7 Triple A (Adult Alternative Airplay)

#9 Rock Songs (Moved down from #3 due to a change in chart methodology)

#54 Digital Songs (It has sold about 200k downloads to date)

It should be noted that four tracks from T2L have now charted on Rock Songs. The latter two below debuted this week due to a change in chart methodology. Peak positions reached so far:

#3 Madness (Airplay only)

#39 Survival (Airplay only)

#39 Supremacy (Mostly digital sales and streaming at Spotify)

#41 Panic Station (Mostly digital sales and streaming at Spotify)

The rock bands with the highest weekly global album sales in the past year according to mediatraffic.de:

1,109,000 Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

951,000 Mumford & Sons - Babel

475,000 Muse - The 2nd Law

447,000 Linkin Park - Living Things

315,000 Green Day - ¡Uno!

294,000 The Killers - Battle Born

Edited by muse s'amuse

That would make my life complete.

I'd love that! I think Muse would be much harder to troll than Radiohead. It was hilarious how Colbert kept saying that Dr. Pepper was the official drink of Radiohead :LOL:

Humanity

what are you doing

STAHP!

Other 323k this week, reaching a huge number of 1.274.000 copies worldwide :LOL:

Other 323k this week, reaching a huge number of 1.274.000 copies worldwide :LOL:

Humanity

what are you doing

STAHP!

Whelp. They're now playing Madness on an adult contemporary station in my area. Don't ask me how I know... :$:LOL:

I guess it'll spread to other similar stations soon?

The 2nd Law debuted at :

#1 Austria, Finland

#2 Poland, Denmark

Edited by chudenk