Welcome back! Read more... ×

Songs ranked by peak position reached on Billboard's Alternative Songs/Modern Rock radio airplay chart based on weekly spins monitored by Nielsen/BDS at 60+ modern rock radio stations in the USA:

#1 "Madness" (a chart record-setting 19 non-consecutive weeks @ No. 1 and 38 consecutive weeks in the top ten and a total of 41 weeks on the chart) - Certified 2x multi-Platinum by the RIAA selling over 2 million digital downloads plus streaming according to Nielsen Music - Billboard Hot 100 Chart Peak Position #45 and Billboard Triple A Chart Peak Position #4

#1 "Uprising" (17 non-consecutive weeks @ No. 1; 28 weeks in the top three; 44 weeks in the top ten; and 53 total weeks on the chart) - Sold over 2.5 million digital downloads according to Nielsen Music - Billboard Hot 100 Chart Peak Position #37

#1 "Dead Inside" (5 weeks @ No. 1 and 20 total weeks on the chart) - Mainstream Rock Songs Airplay Chart Peak Position at #10 and Bubbling Under Billboard Hot 100 Chart Peak Position #111

#1 "Resistance" (4 weeks @ No. 1 and 33 total weeks on the chart) - Bubbling Under Billboard Hot 100 Chart Peak Position #114

#1 "Thought Contagion" (1 week @ No. 1 and 20 total weeks on the chart) - Mainstream Rock Songs Airplay Chart Peak Position at #9

#2 "Starlight" (Certified Platinum - 3 weeks @ No. 2 and 26 total weeks on the chart) - Bubbling Under Billboard Hot 100 Chart Peak Position #101

#2 "Panic Station" (14 weeks in the Top 10 and 24 total weeks on the chart)

#3 "Dig Down" - 20 total weeks on chart

#4 "Undisclosed Desires"

#5 "Pressure" - 21 weeks at Alternative [Peaked at #19 at Mainstream]

#6 "Supermassive Black Hole" - Certified Platinum

#9 "Hysteria" - Bubbling Under Billboard Hot 100 Chart Peak Position #118

#9 "Time Is Running Out" - First Single for the Band Debuted on the U.S. charts in April 2004 - Certified Gold

#10 "Knights of Cydonia" - Certified Gold

#10 "Mercy"

#10 "Something Human" - Billboard Triple A Chart Peak Position #9

#14 "Neutron Star Collision (Love is Forever)" - Billboard Hot 100 Chart Debut and Peak Position #77

#19 "Follow Me"

#31 "Stockholm Syndrome"

#39 "Psycho" - Also peaked at #18 on the Billboard Hot Rock Songs Chart

Hot Rock Songs Chart:

#32 "The Dark Side" - Billboard Hot Rock Songs Chart Peak Position - Promo Track

#37 "Reapers" - Billboard Hot Rock Songs Chart Peak Position and also made it to #2 at Mainstream Rock Songs Airplay

#39 "Survival" - Billboard Hot Rock Songs Chart Peak Position - Promo Track

#39 "Supremacy" - Billboard Hot Rock Songs Chart Peak Position - Promo Track

Album rank by peak position reached on the Billboard 200 chart:

#1 Drones (79k+ first week pure album sales and over 250k units sold to date)

#2 The 2nd Law (Certified Gold - Over 500k units sold to date)

#3 The Resistance (Certified Platinum - Over 1 million units sold to date)

#9 Black Holes and Revelations (Certified Platinum - Over 1 million units sold to date)

#12 Simulation Theory (#6 Top Album Sales Chart with 33k first week pure album sales and over 100k equivalent album units sold to date)

#46 HAARP (CD/DVD Certified Gold)

#107 Absolution (Certified Platinum - Over 1 million units sold to date)

#115 Live at Rome Olympic Stadium - Over 20k copies sold to date

#161 Origin of Symmetry* - Approx 100k copies sold to date

Showbiz has never charted. It was released on Maverick Records in 1999 and has sold about 100k copies to date.

*This album was never released in the USA during 2001-2003 reportedly because record company execs thought Matt's falsetto on some of the tracks was not considered commercial. It was released in 2005 after the success of Absolution and finally charted in 2010 after the success of their album The Resistance.

Edited by muse samuse
Update

Thanks for posting this--I looked these same chart stats up on the Billboard site and it's really interesting to see how Muse has done on the American charts.

Poor Showbiz. One of my favorite Muse albums. :(

Thanks for this :) To clarify: this chart is solely based on selected stations' airplay? I mean, it doesn't count actual sales/downloads? In any case, WMG clearly did a fantastic job promoting these singles for the radio stations.

Poor Showbiz. One of my favorite Muse albums. :(

Well to be fair I'm pretty sure it was never released over there, at least at the time. Muse hadn't had a big enough hit over here yet.

Pretty interesting. I hate to see my favorite album (OoS) at such a low ranking. :(

I hate America's taste in music. I wish I lived in France!

Wait... Nvm, here I get to see all my favorite bands in smaller venues. :happy:

NSC debuted at #31 on european hot 100 :LOL:

Uprising peaked at #14 on adult pop songs.

Thanks for this :) To clarify: this chart is solely based on selected stations' airplay? I mean, it doesn't count actual sales/downloads? In any case, WMG clearly did a fantastic job promoting these singles for the radio stations.

YOUR SIG! :eek::LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Yes, in my chart ranking posted above the Muse singles released in the USA were ranked based on radio airplay at alternative/modern rock stations such as KROQ in Los Angeles and not on downloads or other sales.

"Uprising" peaked at No 37 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the USA. This chart combines radio airplay from all station formats/genres and also includes singles.sales such as downloads from iTunes as well as physical units sold.

"Uprising" debuted at No. 9 on the official UK singles chart while NSC debuted at No. 11 two weeks ago. I believe at least six other singles from prior Muse albums have charted in the Top Ten on the UK singles chart.

Also, I think Muse have now sold close to 11 million albums worldwide since 1999 as well as several million singles and digital downloads. Breakdown of estimated total global album sales follow below:

TR 2.6 million

BH&R 3 million

HAARP 700k

Absolution 2.5 million

OoS 1.5 million

Hullabaloo 500k

Showbiz 500k

Edited by muse s'amuse

Album rank by peak position reached on the Billboard 200 Album chart:

#3 TR (Certified Gold 500k copies shipped/sold)

#9 BHAR

#46 HAARP

#107 Absolution (My favourite)

#161 OoS*

WHAT.

:supersad: 107??? This is a freaking disgrace! Muse's best album and it only reached 107 in the States? :fear:

:noey: Must move to Europe now.

WHAT.

:supersad: 107??? This is a freaking disgrace! Muse's best album and it only reached 107 in the States? :fear:

Don't get your panties in a bunch now! Both, BH&R, Absolution and HAARP are all certified gold. Absolution in '07 and BH&R in '08. Starlight, oddly enough is their only single to be certified gold in the US, but I'm sure SMBH and Uprising will get their soon!;)

You have to remember Muse was very undergound at the time of Absolution and BH&R was still pretty much unknown to most Americans when it debuted. Their next album here will be #1. Mark my words!

Well to be fair I'm pretty sure it was never released over there, at least at the time. Muse hadn't had a big enough hit over here yet.

Showbiz was released over here at the same time it was released in the UK (this is when they were on Maverick), Origin wasn't released until '05, and it was done without any fanfare... Abso was slightly delay but got a proper release with singles and whatnot...

Thanks for this.

Poor Absolution. Muse's best album, and the worst in the US. :(

Abso may have charted the lowest, but as discoprincess mentioned, it was the first album to go gold here :D

We have the same favorite! :awesome:

Due to the heavy rock radio airplay and MTV video exposure for the two singles TiRO and Hysteria the album was certified gold by the RIAA in the USA despite Absolution never reaching higher than No. 107 on the Billboard chart. It kept selling fewer than 10k copies for many weeks until it reached the 500k threshold. It was because of hearing Hysteria on the radio that I became a Muser.

WHAT.

No kidding! It's so so sad. :(

One of my friends (who doesn't like Muse) always goes "This is why no one knows who they are -- because they suck!" And she refuses to believe me when I try to explain that they're huge in Europe *sigh* And another one of my friends refers to them as a "one-hit wonder" (for Uprising).

Ughhhhh!

No kidding! It's so so sad. :(

One of my friends (who doesn't like Muse) always goes "This is why no one knows who they are -- because they suck!" And she refuses to believe me when I try to explain that they're huge in Europe *sigh* And another one of my friends refers to them as a "one-hit wonder" (for Uprising).

Ughhhhh!

:wtf:

Below are the six albums featuring Matt Bellamy written songs which were ranked on the Billboard 200 chart for the week ending 13 June 2010:

#2 Twilight Saga: Eclipse Soundtrack "Neutron Star Collision" - 400k copies sold since its release

#97 The Resistance - Certified Gold (500k+ copies sold) - 5k copies sold last week

#121 Adam Lambert - For Your Entertainment - "Soaked" cover - 5k copies sold last week

#134 Twilight Soundtrack - "Super Massive Black Hole" - Certified Double Platinum (2 million copies sold) - 5k copies sold last week

#137 Twilight Saga: New Moon Soundtrack - "I Belong to You" Remix - Certified Platinum (1 Million copies sold) - 5k copies sold last week

#150 Renee Fleming Dark Hope - "Endlessly" cover - 6k copies sold to date

Edited by muse s'amuse

Muse have 3 songs residing concurrently in the Top 15 on the latest Billboard Alternative rock radio airplay chart which is a rather remarkable achievement:

#7 Resistance

#13 Uprising

#15 NSC

I believe the last band to have 3 songs in the Top 20 of this particular genre chart was the Foo Fighters back in 2008. Green Day also had 3 songs in the Top 40 of this chart about five years ago. Muse set a record earlier this year by having 2 songs from TR in the Top 3 of this chart at the same time.

Muse have now sold just under 2 million albums in the USA. Worldwide album sales for the band now total about 11 million with BH&R being the top seller so far with approx 3 million sold.

Edited by muse s'amuse

Uprising only just now dropped to 11? Seems like NSC is sitting at 14...which is surprising too.

British and French bands still rule last week's Alternative rock airplay chart in the USA:

1. Muse - 2,283 spins for three songs (Uprising, Resistance and NSC)

2. Phoenix - 2,195 spins for two songs (Lisztomania and 1901)

Source: Mediabase

The single Uprising has now been certified gold by the RIAA. Muse continue to have three songs ranked in the top 20 of the Billboard Alternative songs chart for the seventh week in a row. NSC has peaked however and will not reach the top 10 on this chart.

Edited by muse s'amuse