Muse's cheesy love songs did NOT start with The Resistance

membername

i know how much hate i'll get for this, but :

Bliss could almost be considered cheesy (verses are quite cheesy and it sounds more pop than rock imo)

endlessly is cheesy

invincible is cheesy (i know its new-era muse so its dont helping, but its not resistance so you get my point)

Shine is cheesy (bside, but still)

Yes but they are merely a mild Philadephia cream cheese as apposed to the stinking Gorganzola that are GL and NSC;). In fact I don't think Bliss is a cheesy love song at all, I see it more about envy and wanting something someone else has got.

What the hell, Bliss cheesy? Is there a new meaning for cheesy that I haven't heard about? Like "things with emotion"?

i dont mean its anything like as cheesy as guiding light or nsc or whatever, but compared to the rest of OoS its quite cheesy. i do agree its more of an angry love song than a proper "love" love song, but some of the verse lyrics are a bit cheesy "everything about you is so easy to love/theyre watching you from above" etc

i dont mean its anything like as cheesy as guiding light or nsc or whatever, but compared to the rest of OoS its quite cheesy. i do agree its more of an angry love song than a proper "love" love song, but some of the verse lyrics are a bit cheesy "everything about you is so easy to love/theyre watching you from above" etc

Everything can be cheesy if you take them out of context. Just because it's pop doesn't make it cheesy, and just because one line could be considered cheesy if you don't read the rest of it doesn't make it cheesy.

...okay?

Why would you even think anyone would disagree with that? What you just did was mentioning some of Muse's love songs and then said that they aren't all cheesy. Do you think anyone here would call for example MotP cheesy?

You are right....crap, I meant to say that all of them are not at all cheesy to me...:$

For those who say Muse's soft spot for cheesy love songs has led to their downfall, please refer to the following:

Unintended

Feeling Good

Starlight

This is not a new phenomenon. You can pretty much count on one every album (except Absolution for some reason -- and I can't really put Endlessly in that category). So can the complainers please not have a selective memory and forget about Muse's past cheesiness. It's always been there. This is nothing new.

(by the way I don't mean to poke fun at these songs, they're all great imo)

absolution has endlessly!!! cheesy lyrics but an EXCELLENT song

not to mention falling away with you

What was matt thinking when he wrote feeling good.....starlight isn't that bad but what the hell was that about?!!?!

it's on their album origin of symmtery haven't you heard it, and it was performed by MUSE

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

i lol'd

What was matt thinking when he wrote feeling good.....starlight isn't that bad but what the hell was that about?!!?!

it's on their album origin of symmtery haven't you heard it, and it was performed by MUSE

you are so dumb.

you are the worst troll ever.

Unintended is fantastic :erm:

Totally agree. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. On the hullaboo dvd you can see it can hold a stadium spellbound. I can see if it's on every setlist it can become overdone like FG, but Unintended is just so beautifully done. Cheese but haunting cheese with an edge. Like Endlessly. Matt can write love songs.

I would also like to say there has been more cheesy love songs than you think, they've just been hidden. If you want to look at it from a pure lyrical point of view, Sunburn, Endlessly, Falling Away With You, Invincible have all been cheese. Matt just hid them better with awesome music. When the music is crap, they obviously have issues. I mean, "She burns like the sun, but I can't look away," and "Hopelessly, I'll love you endlessly, I won't let you fall,"...I mean, c'mon, NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP comes to mind. It's been always around, just hidden better.

The OP named just 3 songs spanning over roughly 7 years that are apparently 'cheesy', one of which isn't even originally by Muse, out of 100+ songs in their back catalogue.

Over the last 4 years, they've had 7 songs that fit that bracket (Starlight, Invincible, Soldier's Poem, Guiding Light, NSC and some would class UD and Resistance as softer/poppier/cheesier, too).

Thus, while it's true that cheesy love songs didn't start with The Resistance, they practically began to snowball after BH&R :LOL:. They more than doubled over four years, whereas you were hard-pressed to actually identify them from the first three albums.

Endlessly is a great example of how a song with relatively cheesy lyrics completely and utterly avoided being stamped with that label by fans, because it was so subtle and had that previous Muse-y touch that gave it an element of difference i.e. it fit the concept of Absolution and didn't try to be an overtly smouldering love song; you almost don't notice the corniness. Unintended, while quite obviously a love song, also wasn't handled in a cheesy way, imo; again it's not as overt or OTT as the likes of NSC, and it sounds almost emo, lol. I don't think it's one that appeals to as wide an audience either, unlike Starlight, Invincible or even Guiding Light (I get the feeling it would be favoured by 'radio' fans at gigs).

Muse have always written about love, but there's a difference between a love song and a cheese-infested love song: the former belongs to all genres; the latter belongs exclusively to Britney Spears. Exclusively!

The OP named just 3 songs spanning over roughly 7 years that are apparently 'cheesy', one of which isn't even originally by Muse, out of 100+ songs in their back catalogue.

Over the last 4 years, they've had 7 songs that fit that bracket (Starlight, Invincible, Soldier's Poem, Guiding Light, NSC and some would class UD and Resistance as softer/poppier/cheesier, too).

Thus, while it's true that cheesy love songs didn't start with The Resistance, they practically began to snowball after BH&R :LOL:. They more than doubled over four years, whereas you were hard-pressed to actually identify them from the first three albums.

Endlessly is a great example of how a song with relatively cheesy lyrics completely and utterly avoided being stamped with that label by fans, because it was so subtle and had that previous Muse-y touch that gave it an element of difference i.e. it fit the concept of Absolution and didn't try to be an overtly smouldering love song; you almost don't notice the corniness. Unintended, while quite obviously a love song, also wasn't handled in a cheesy way, imo; again it's not as overt or OTT as the likes of NSC, and it sounds almost emo, lol. I don't think it's one that appeals to as wide an audience either, unlike Starlight, Invincible or even Guiding Light (I get the feeling it would be favoured by 'radio' fans at gigs).

Muse have always written about love, but there's a difference between a love song and a cheese-infested love song: the former belongs to all genres; the latter belongs exclusively to Britney Spears. Exclusively!

Soldier's poem is cheesy?! I dunno about that one...

Anyway, whether it's 3 songs over 7 years or 6 songs over 4 years isn't the point. My point is that Matt has always had a soft spot for these *types* of songs. It is not some new phenomenon.

I do completely agree about Endlessly. THAT is how you handle a love song. The tone of that song completely wipes away the cheese. However, some might argue that we only think of it that way because it's kind of a depressing song. Name a Muse song that handles the topic of love in a very upbeat way without being "cheesy" (as defined by most people on this board).

I agree that Unintended is cheesy, but when you're in the mood for it, it doesn't seem like it. Its a great love song, anyway. I think its less cheesy than NSC.

+1 I love Unintended and Endlessly for that matter, they don't compare to the cheesyness of NSC. They have simple, beautiful lyrics and subtlety in there delivery that manages to keep out of the cheese zone. They have more feeling and emotion than NSC could ever have.

Soldier's poem is cheesy?! I dunno about that one...

Anyway, whether it's 3 songs over 7 years or 6 songs over 4 years isn't the point. My point is that Matt has always had a soft spot for these *types* of songs. It is not some new phenomenon.

I do completely agree about Endlessly. THAT is how you handle a love song. The tone of that song completely wipes away the cheese. However, some might argue that we only think of it that way because it's kind of a depressing song. Name a Muse song that handles the topic of love in a very upbeat way without being "cheesy" (as defined by most people on this board).

To answer your last point first = Bliss. The happiest and best Muse song about love I've personally ever heard. And there's not a single sliver of Stilton in sight :p! It's not overtly about love, but it can definitely be read that way, which makes it all the better for its enigma.

Yes, you're right in that maybe Matt has had an interest in these sorts of songs for a while, but my point is that his cheesiness IS a new phenomena... songs prior to Black Holes were hardly 'cheese' material, whereas lots of songs since then have been obviously cheese-based.

Soldier's Poem isn't cheesy lyrically, and yeh it's not an obvious contender for the cheesy title, but its soft/jazzy quality makes it seem on the naff side. He could have handled a topic like that - about the absurdity of war, the injustice, the undignified state of politics in terms of 'defense' in a different way that would have made the message hit home harder - either in a tragic/depressing way a la Hyper Chondriac Music or in an angry way like, er... Hyper Music, lol.

Instead, he chose to make it mellow and almost romantic in its musical style. It's not a bad song, I'm just saying its softness makes it seem more calm than bitter, imo. ;)

Jeebuz! Don't you think you guys are being just a little too harsh??? :erm:

I mean what has Muse ever done to us other than fill our lives with pure bliss! :awesome:

We should all be ashamed of ourselves! :noey::$

(haha that's right...I managed to use bliss and ashamed all in one post! :yesey:)

Archived