Reading this article on NME about bands quitting at their peak made me wonder. (http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=10&p=8476&why_james_murphy_is_right_to_quit_at_the&more=1&c=1)

Muse are still massively respected, and it could be said they were at their "peak" with The Resistance. However that article goes on to give examples of artists who produced great albums and then ruined it all for themselves by keeping going, with music that wasn't so good.

This remind you of anything? I'm not bashing Neutron Star Collision, as I find it quite catchy, but you can't deny it's low in Muse's standards, and in a lot of Muse fans eyes it could signal the end of the Muse they once loved. Perhaps quitting now would do them a lot of good, and leave people with good feelings towards them, before it could all go downhill? (Personally I don't want them to quit, I can't wait for another album, but discuss :) )

I don't think they reached their peak yet. There not that long in the music business anyway...it's fairly nothing regarding to other bands and/or how long it takes to be successful. Plus, their contract requests two more albums, as said by Matt, so they couldn't even quit even if they wanted to. ;)

The concept itself is quite ridiculous. Take Metallica, who produced several poor albums after their black album, yet people still enjoy old-school Metallica and go to their shows, and the band is not any worse for it.

Sure, releasing one crappy album may see your sales going down and people shunning on the album in general, but they'll still go to shows, and listen to the good albums.

There's no such thing as quitting "at your peak", more like because you've run out of good ideas or decided to focus your energy elsewhere. And even the latter is not a good excuse, you don't have to "end" a project, you can take the time to do other stuff and then see if you'll come back to it...

No, Muse shouldn't.

Bands that should do often are the ones who define an era and Muse never have been (Ok, for individuals, they may well do, but none of their albums have had the impact on society & culture like Never Mind The Bollocks for example) as it's best to leave it where it is.

But bands that do truly last move forward and Muse seem to repeat themselves at the moment.

There's no such thing as quitting "at your peak", more like because you've run out of good ideas or decided to focus your energy elsewhere. And even the latter is not a good excuse, you don't have to "end" a project, you can take the time to do other stuff and then see if you'll come back to it...

"Quitting at your peak" is a bad term in music, but it does exist. :)

i dont think theyve reached their peak. i think theyve still got so much incredible talent left in them that they should keep it going. when theyre tired of doing what they do then they should quit, but i think theyve got tons of greatness left in them.

Oh, no question about it.

They should just kindle a fire with Dom's drumsticks and burn every instrument they own, then jump in themselves for good measure, lest they continue their downward spiral. :rolleyes:

:LOL: Sorry, sorry... seemed like a silly question to me, but I honestly do understand where you're coming from. The real answer is that I don't think any band should ever give up music for fear of going downhill or losing fans. Muse should decide to "quit" whenever the time is right and they feel their career has run its course (which, hopefully, will not be for a long long time!) :)

But the sad thing is, it sounds like there are some fans out there who would agree with my original suggestion after listening to NSC... :unsure:

Oh, no question about it.

They should just kindle a fire with Dom's drumsticks and burn every instrument they own, then jump in themselves for good measure, lest they continue their downward spiral. :rolleyes:

Nine Inch Nails!

Sorry...

Back on topic...

Nah. They've got a lot left in them. And I think that you can really only find the 'peak' of a band when looking back at what they've achieved after the band has finished..

Which would involve time travel and a lot of mind-fuckery.

only they can decide.

if it were up to me i'd have them push through this little time of experimentation with mainstream commercial blah radio friendly silliness and sponteneity killing stage shows but :LOL: that won't happen unless there's some electric shock therapy or something :p

peak??? sure they may seem like now they are at thier peak but i doubt very much they are going to be backing out of the industry even after thier contract is over it wouldnt surprise me if they resign to another one.

The only thing i can see happening is similar to the foo fighters

they split for a wee bit doing thier own thing then coming back together that is a possibility. And call me odd if you wish but i see matt becoming a music teacher lol i dont know why i do see it.

As far as I know none of the bands in that article ever significantly changed their sound

whereas every muse album is very diffident from the last. Their musical style, lyrical themes and the genres they dapple in are hardly stuck in a rut. Thus whereas some bands perfect a certain style and thus reach a peak, muse continuously adapt and evolve and so have no certain peak which is their limit. I personally have no favourite album, because each is so different. My favourite songs are spread over each. Most people would agree Ithink that their latest album is not representative of their entire back catalogue. Look at the beatles. They didn't run for long in terms of years, but they had 12 studio albums and they're still legends. And people will have favourites across their back catalogue. Because like muse, their sound evolved and developed.

So in short, no muse shouldn't stop now. I'm dying to hear where they will go from here, and I'm sure there will be some suprises in store!

Muse will never be "at the top of their game" or "at their peak". If you can't tell already, their first album was as good as their next, their music is constantly changing and thats what people like about them.

Maybe other artists may quit when they feel they don't have any ideas left but Muse seems to always be coming up with new lyrics, music and video ideas.

Now, if Muse were to quit as early as NOW I would be shocked. You have bands that are from way before the 90's that still do concerts, and Muse stopping now would just be retarded.

I want to be much older than I am now when Muse stops, because then I can tell all the little kiddies that I listen to Muse. ;)

I don't know, The Resistance is a good album, but by Muses standards it's probably the worst if you know what I mean, it has good songs on it, like MK ULTRA and Undisclosed Desires but the quality isn't as good as say OoS or Absolution, but no, they shouldn't quit right now. It's up to them and besides NC is only a mild slip up, it'll grow on us eventually (most of us anyway :)).

Archived