I do think Screenager is a very beautiful song, it's just after hearing the first 7 songs, and then hearing the percussion in this one, it's so different and drastically experimental that I feel like it doesn't fit too much.

However, if I listen to it on it's own then it's fine

The Tom Waits-y percusion is makes it so cool, and the chorus has amazing falsetto.

People don't like it because it dosn't use conventional major/minor tonality and it turns lots of pop fans off.

What is it, harmonic minor or something? I havn't bothered to figure it out or anything.

I'd rather have a band trying new interesting things then "same old same old" just to "keep the groove". But that's because I want the musical boundaries pushed all the time and Muse do that!

meh. if you wanna hear musical boundaries get pushed muse is hardly the band to do it.

hearing the boundaries of popular-rock getting pushed? sure.

but music in general? nah.

The Tom Waits-y percusion is makes it so cool, and the chorus has amazing falsetto.

People don't like it because it dosn't use conventional major/minor tonality and it turns lots of pop fans off.

What is it, harmonic minor or something? I havn't bothered to figure it out or anything.

meh. if you wanna hear musical boundaries get pushed muse is hardly the band to do it.

I think conventional pop listeners might as most hear Starlight and will never buy OoS, so nothing to worry about! :D

Yes, but it's not the harmonic minor you'd expect, which gives it that kinda spooky spanish/flamenco- esque yet experimental feel, It's root note is G, so you'd expect the G harmonic minor (G A Bflat C D Eflat Fsharp), but its actually B harmonic minor (B Csharp D E Fsharp G Asharp) starting on G, but instead of sharpening the seventh, the first note is flattened, essentially the same note, but completely different in conjunction with the rest of the scale, which essentially gives you G harmonic minor with an added Csharp. I hope I didn't bore you too much with that explanation...

I don't think he meant that. He meant that the song didn't thematically fit in on the album. I know what he means although I like the song. It's better on piano though.

:yesey:

It's definately better on the piano, therefore much better live

Yes, but it's not the harmonic minor you'd expect, which gives it that kinda spooky spanish/flamenco- esque yet experimental feel, It's root note is G, so you'd expect the G harmonic minor (G A Bflat C D Eflat Fsharp), but its actually B harmonic minor (B Csharp D E Fsharp G Asharp) starting on G, but instead of sharpening the seventh, the first note is flattened, essentially the same note, but completely different in conjunction with the rest of the scale, which essentially gives you G harmonic minor with an added Csharp. I hope I didn't bore you too much with that explanation...

Someone's been reading up on their theory :LOL:

• 1 month later...
Who knows? Why do people eat black pudding? People are idiots.

:yesey: Well put

Screenager provides a brilliant freshness to the album, a change of pace yet in an unconventional way, because it's quite experimental in sound and they've tested out different percussions etc so overall it works as the 'different' track on the album. It's really beautiful and a stand-out Muse song... And it just adds to what makes OoS their unparalleled album: a bit o' innovation! :D

if you wanna hear musical boundaries get pushed muse is hardly the band to do it.

I just want to know, what are some bands that you would consider pushing the boundaries of music? I just want to know, because i've been looking for some interesting music to listen to, and I want to try something really weird.

Anyway, back on topic, I love Screenager, although it was the last song on the album to really grow on me. I think that Darkshines should have come before it though, it would have helped with flow.

• 2 months later...

It's a highlight of OoS, overlooked waaaaaay too much.

I love all three versions of it, the quiet, brooding album version, the clanky bluesy live version on guitar and the 2002 piano version with the Rachmaninov piece and B&H solo beforehand (not the 2001 Hullabaloo one).

It's a great song, I'd love to see it back in the setlists again.

Why would anybody hate Screenager? The first time I heard it, it chilled me to the bones. The lyrics and the melody are so haunting and dark it's what makes it so beautiful.

Much better on the piano live at Le Zenith with the Rachmaninov intro "Prelude in C# minor". Much more exciting then the sedate album version.

I agree, it's even better than the album version. It is one of the many things I love about Muse: their ability to mix classical influences with modern sounds.

• 2 months later...
Screenager has been added to the dictionary

n. a person in their teens or twenties who has an aptitude for computers and the Internet.

didnt mention anything of muse though, got it from a cracked.com article

Why would it? Muse didn't coin it.

I wouldn't say I hate it, but it's definately my least favourite song from OoS. As mentioned before, it just doesn't really fit.

Screenager fits quite well with the themes on the album I think.

Feeling Good however ruins a brilliant album.

Archived