How would you rate Neutron Star Collision  

939 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Neutron Star Collision

Love it. 5 stars. Listened to it 35 times already in my iTunes.

It's catchy, it sounds good, it has my favourite Rachmaninoff piano bit they've ever played live, the lyrics are cheesy but they make sense for what Matt was going through at the time, a variety of different Muse songs can be heard in the song and the vocal work in this song is great.

Not their best but it's pretty darn good.

i gave it 2/5.

matt should be able to express himself. he should just do a better job of crafting a song than he did with this.

the sentiments behind the piece actually make me more sympathetic to him...but i still don't like the song. i don't hate it either. it's just not good.

and i truly am sorry that a profession of love and optimism makes me laugh quite so hard as this song does and also makes me embarrassed of my favorite band. when i say this i think of the person who said they weren't evangelizing muse as much anymore...and that's totally happened for me lately.

it's just wrong. makes me sad. :(

Okay- I've listened a few more times. This song sounds like it belongs in The Neverending Story or something.... it's starting to grow on me if for no other reason than it sounds like it belongs in the movies I watched growing up.

Considering this was written for a Twilight movie, knocks it down some notches for me, but I'd rather this Hack Job of a song over most I hear now a days anyways.

It's not their best, but it's still good compared to your average pop song. Catchy, check, cheesy lyrics that's what he's good at, not thinking of it as a Muse song, I'd give it 3-4 stars, but as a Muse song it's garbage, but just for the hell of it I'll still put 5 stars cause I'm still gonna listen to it either way and I can enjoy it.

Tho really, I think extending it adding some screaming guitar solo would have added something to the song, but it's pop.

I'm still waiting for a long jam out piece by them. Or it'd be interesting to actually see them attempt an actual concept album.

Maybe after all the Twilight BS dies down they'll try to be more artistic again.

i gave it 2/5.

matt should be able to express himself. he should just do a better job of crafting a song than he did with this.

the sentiments behind the piece actually make me more sympathetic to him...but i still don't like the song. i don't hate it either. it's just not good.

and i truly am sorry that a profession of love and optimism makes me laugh quite so hard as this song does and also makes me embarrassed of my favorite band. when i say this i think of the person who said they weren't evangelizing muse as much anymore...and that's totally happened for me lately.

it's just wrong. makes me sad. :(

the thing that gets me about the bolded part is he is able to do that, he's done it before.... for some reason he just didn't quite get the balance right on this one :erm:

After at least 10 listens, this gets a 3/5. Note that after the first listen, I probably would have given it a 2/5. The song has indeed grown on me fairly quickly, but not enough for me to consider it that great of a song. I think we've well established that it's a lyrical atrocity, but musically, Muse has done worse. As for the solo, it's pretty average as well. Perhaps the biggest saving grace of this song is the piano, especially the outro (which does feel a bit random, but it works).

My hope is that it replaces - not accompanies - Guiding Light in the setlists.

the thing that gets me about the bolded part is he is able to do that, he's done it before.... for some reason he just didn't quite get the balance right on this one :erm:

yes, we know he is capable of doing so much better, and to be honest i would expect something that is/was so personal to be created with more care.

this reminds me of leftover night when i was growing up as a kid. and that was 80% of the time a bad experience :LOL:

yes, we know he is capable of doing so much better, and to be honest i would expect something that is/was so personal to be created with more care.

this reminds me of leftover night when i was growing up as a kid. and that was 80% of the time a bad experience :LOL:

:chuckle:

I was thinking the same thing about being surprised that something so serious and personal resulted in something that seems so flippant...

What's odd about it is that it seems random and "rushed", yet he says he wrote it 8months ago and they recorded it partly in like January and then the rest in March, I think? It's not like it was written, recorded and released in a week... but that's kind of what it sounds like to me :$

I give it 1.5 but I round it down to 1.

I'm sorry Muse, but I can't stand the 1st verse (the piano part), the-killers-soundalike 2nd verse, the 80s drumbeats of the 1st chorus. I don't even mind the lyrics and I admit the chorus is catchy.

:chuckle:

I was thinking the same thing about being surprised that something so serious and personal resulted in something that seems so flippant...

yeah...

What's odd about it is that it seems random and "rushed", yet he says he wrote it 8months ago and they recorded it partly in like January and then the rest in March, I think? It's not like it was written, recorded and released in a week... but that's kind of what it sounds like to me :$

so many times in the past muse songs have evolved over quite a long time...olly found the mkultra riff being played before starlight at some show well over four years ago...then you have examples of lyrics being changed over time and i think those songs where there is clear evolution both lyrically and musically end up so much the better for it.

so yeah, even though it was eight months, if you compare it to songs like plug in baby where there were major changes made to the song over a couple three years...eight months is quite rushed, especially since they probably had to time to really work with it while touring.

I give it 1.5 but I round it down to 1.

Should have made it a 1.4 then :p

yeah...

so many times in the past muse songs have evolved over quite a long time...olly found the mkultra riff being played before starlight at some show well over four years ago...then you have examples of lyrics being changed over time and i think those songs where there is clear evolution both lyrically and musically end up so much the better for it.

so yeah, even though it was eight months, if you compare it to songs like plug in baby where there were major changes made to the song over a couple three years...eight months is quite rushed, especially since they probably had to time to really work with it while touring.

hmmm.... that's a point I hadn't thought of.... :shifty:

Love it. 5 stars. Listened to it 35 times already in my iTunes.

It's catchy, it sounds good, it has my favourite Rachmaninoff piano bit they've ever played live, the lyrics are cheesy but they make sense for what Matt was going through at the time, a variety of different Muse songs can be heard in the song and the vocal work in this song is great.

Not their best but it's pretty darn good.

:yesey:

To me song is absolutely beautiful.:happy: "twilight" didn't deserve it

Same here

...this song does and also makes me embarrassed of my favorite band.

And this is how I am feeling exactly. When I was listening to it my bro came in and said "is THAT Muse? :stunned:" and I was like, "huh yeah..."

And I don't have a thing against Twilight and all that stuff but this thing from twitter really made me laugh:

ivandsamudra Neutron Star Collision (Love Is Forever) is so Twilight, it's about Bella and Edward perfectly...

Anyways I gave it 2/5

I'm going to wait a while before I rate the song. I'm hovering between 3 and 4 right now, so I'll listen to it some more, mix it up with older stuff and see how it goes.

It's not one of the Muse masterpieces I never tire of, but I love the music. The bass, the KoC-like drumming (:yesey:), and that lovely, lovely piano. And while the lyrics are cheesy, I like the sound of the vocals. :) I hope NSC replaces Guiding Light live. It's probably a lot more awesome and fun live, though of course I'd prefer Dead Star/Assassin/Space Dementia/etc over NSC or GL.

4/5. The first time I heard it, it would have been a 2 at best. But like a lot of their better songs, it's grown on me quite a lot over a short period of time. I even quite like the lyrics and vocals now, and they made me cringe on my first listen.

3/5

It sums up BH&R and The Resistance pretty well - there's some nice ideas in there but it's too cheesy, the lyrics are hilariously bad (but not in a good way because he's actually trying to say something) and it doesn't work as a whole.

2/5

the song is all over the place (and not in a good way), I can't really stand the lyrics and there's something I'm not quite liking about the vocals. It's not a horrible piece of shit as I was afraid it would be, but it's sounding a bit generic to me. I really like the piano parts and the drumming, but the song as a whole doesn't do anything for me.

Maybe it will grow on me, I don't know.

The full 5.

The lyrical content is beautiful - given what Matt was going through at the time. It isn't rushed, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what he's written. I'm sure anyone who has ever been in such a situation can relate to it. Besides, music is his best way to express himself, so why not?

Plus the bassline wins, like always. :happy:

Archived