WHICH SONG SHOULD WIN THE WORLD CUP?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. WHICH SONG SHOULD WIN THE WORLD CUP?

Match 63

WORLD CUP FINAL

KNIGHTS OF CYDNONIA

v

STOCKHOLM SYNDROME

After 5 months of matches, it has all come down to this. Both tracks have been standouts throughout the tournament, from the moment qualifying began. Knights of Cydonia has made the final after failing to gain seeding (it finished second on Black Holes and Revelations after Map of the Problematique), seen by many as a huge shock, but it has not looked back, destroying everything in it's path. It comes up against a fierce rival, Stockholm Syndrome, which defeated Knights of Cydonia is the final of a song tournament in 2009. It has become clear that in the eyes of the fans, these are the two best, most powerful, memorable, and downright legendary songs written by Muse, and it is only fitting they should meet in the Muse Song World Cup Final. They also both feature pretty darn amazing riffs.

Match Preview:

KNIGHTS OF CYDONIA

The sci-fi epic lasting six minutes, Knights of Cydonia has destroyed all opposition during the tournament, claiming a number of scalps along it's path to glory. It was voted number 1 in the world's largest Music poll for 2007, the Triple J Hottest 100, and also voted #18 of all time in 2009 by the Australian Public. Knights of Cydonia was also voted by the public to be the first song played on NME radio.

It is apparent that Knights of Cydonia is the song that Muse are best known by, and will be remembered for as it catapulted the band into the hall of rock legends. It has already become an influential song and as seen above, is recognised as a defining song in rock music, particularly in the 21st century.

Knights of Cydonia also has what many believe is the best, and definately most outlandish Music Video made by the band.

Musewiki Says:

Taking its cues from Mariachi bands and the 'Doctor Who' theme tune, the track sounds like a soundtrack to a spaghetti western set in the far reaches of the galaxy and features a chain-smoking trumpeter called Franco. The intro features sounds of horses neighing and galloping, as well as laser guns firing.

The Fans Say

Knights of Cydonia. Because it's music for a futurist western, is incredibly epic, has an amazing riff and has the catchiest lyrical refrain I've ever heard... it's awesome live... It's video is possibly muse's best.... SS is great, but boring in comparison!

Knights of Cydonia is probably one of Muse's best works. It's intense, well thought out, and showcases a lot of the boys' talents. It's a rollercoaster that goes through so many genres and feelings in six minutes... I think it's better than Exogenesis. It's a fucking masterpiece...

I'm sorry but KoC DEFINES Muse. KoC = Muse. You could put that in a dictionary. SS does not compare at all. It is too repetitive.

The Band Says:

Chris describes it as "40 years of rock history crammed into six minutes"

Path so far:

defeated MUSCLE MUSEUM 87-32

defeated THE GROOVE 124-15

defeated MEGALOMANIA 71-34

defeated DEAD STAR 83-47

defeated BUTTERFLIES AND HURRICANES93-48

defeated BLISS102-69

STOCKHOLM SYNDROME

A previous winner of a Song Tournament, Stockholm Syndrome is a proven powerhouse, and a definite favourite. Stockholm Syndrome features a riff often found among lists of the best riffs written. It reached number 31 on the UK chart as a download only single.

The emotion and power of the song is often why it is rated among Muse's best, and easily took out the Absolution phase of qualifying. It has also featured among some of Muse's best live performances, and is no doubt one of the band's top live songs, a place it fittingly shares with it's opponent in this final.

Stockholm Syndrome goes into the final as hot favourite, it is a genuine favourite among fans and non-fans alike, and while it may not share the more widely acclaimed appeal in the wider listening public as Knights of Cydonia, it has an extremely strong presence in the minds of Muse fans, who will ultimately decide the inaugural winner of the Muse Song World Cup.

Musewiki Says:

While this song was written on piano by Matthew Bellamy, it was recorded on both guitar and synths. Matt then mixed both of the sounds together. The main riff was inspired by System of a Down.

The Fans Say:

I have nothing against Knights of Cydonia: it's an excellent song, one of their best in recent years, but I love Stockholm Syndrome. Without it, Absolution would be be a much lesser album. It's a brilliant song. The opening riff is easily one of their best, and gets you into the song straight away...

I am a huge fan of Stockholm Syndrome... Stockholm gives me goosebumps. It's amazing, emotional, and intense... I don't care what other people say, about it beign repetitive and shallow. I disagree. It used to be a huuuuge monster live a few years ago, and it's still pretty decent now.

IMO, SS is hands down their greatest song. When I listen to it, I'm simultaneously exhilerated and emotional. The passion in that song is undeniable. Knights is a great song, no doubt, but SS makes you feel something. The riff is amazing, the bass in the beginning is sex, and if you haven't tapped out the beat on your lap or desk, something is wrong with you.

SS. For. The. M-effin. Win.

That is all.

Path so far:

defeated EXO-POLITICS 104-11

defeated CAVE 107-23

defeated NEW BORN 90-54

defeated MAP OF THE PROBLEMATIQUE 87-50

defeated EXOGENESIS 117-68

defeated HYSTERIA 98-59

Voters are encouraged to predict the outcome of each match before voting, and also leave a comment on why they voted for their chosen track.

Voting is open for 2 days.

Link to Discussion Thread including Match Schedule and Results.

I am voting for Knights. They are my two favourite Muse songs, by far, but I think as far as influence goes, Knights of Cydonia is a much more recognised song among the wider public, and is more and more becoming a defining song in rock history.

Matt recently mentioned it is the song he hopes Muse are most remembered by, and as the song he says defines the band's sound.

It has made kids all over the world say "I want to play guitar and be like that," and is a genuine rock sci-fi epic.

Stockholm Syndrome is darn good too, but it is not quite in the rock god echelons that Knights has risen to, so that is why my vote narrowly goes to Knights.

I am voting for Knights. They are my two favourite Muse songs, by far, but I think as far as influence goes, Knights of Cydonia is a much more recognised song among the wider public, and is more and more becoming a defining song in rock history.

Matt recently mentioned it is the song he hopes Muse are most remembered by, and as the song he says defines the band's sound.

It has made kids all over the world say "I want to play guitar and be like that," and is a genuine rock sci-fi epic.

Stockholm Syndrome is darn good too, but it is not quite in the rock god echelons that Knights has risen to, so that is why my vote narrowly goes to Knights.

Ya, Knights of Cydonia is very awesome and easier to remember~

In fact, i feel this song is the most exciting song in the live show~ When i listen to it, i always hope to jumb (but i cant jumb in some situations)

Of course, Muse' other songs are very awesome in the live shows too~

Archived