That's true. They can't all be winners right off the bat I suppose. :LOL:

:LOL:

I think it's the brass which is making it a bit tricky for them. Hopefully they'll work something out.

That's true. They can't all be winners right off the bat I suppose. :LOL:

I thought that Bilbao performance with Morgan playing synth brass on the keys was great!

But I will agree in saying that every time I've seen them do it with actual brass they've definitely struggled to get the balance of energy and mixing right! Especially on Fallon.

:LOL:

I think it's the brass which is making it a bit tricky for them. Hopefully they'll work something out.

I thought that Bilbao performance with Morgan playing synth brass on the keys was great!

But I will agree in saying that every time I've seen them do it with actual brass they've definitely struggled to get the balance of energy and mixing right! Especially on Fallon.

I'm watching the iHeart radio performance and it sounds great! :love: Lil' bit of distortion goes a long way. :LOL:

Matt’s guitar tones over the last 3 years have been some of his worst

One song when performed live that needs some serious beefing up is Hysteria. Compare that fuzzy tone on the studio track to the overly-clean One used live nowadays (well, pretty much since the Abso tour!)

Matt’s guitar tones over the last 3 years have been some of his worst

Live, on album, or both?

I'm still not a fan of that thin fuzz he's using. It's not heavy at all.

I get the feeling they feel Matt's guitar live is there just to provide the top end, and Chris's bass can do all the rest. It just ends up feeling thin. Beef them both up.

That said, 2006 tones were dreadfully thin. TR/T2L they got it pretty spot on most the time.

Live, on album, or both?

I'm still not a fan of that thin fuzz he's using. It's not heavy at all.

Mainly live, on record’s generally been pretty decent.

The main thing that’s really started to grate on me is his general ‘heavy’ tone. It’s so bottomed out and bass-heavy, sounds like it’s got a phaser on it 80% of the time as well. It ends up sounding so smooth and washed out that it’s almost like he’s using the neck pickup and it’s so bass dominant that it ends up blending with Chris’ sound. There’s so little crunch to it or spike from the treble end and it actively takes away from how big these parts can sound when the guitar’s trying to do the same thing as the bass, with the only dynamics coming when Matt abuses the sustainer. His lighter overdrive is better in the dynamics department but it’s still quite thin and sounds a bit too close to being clean at times.

That said, 2006 tones were dreadfully thin. TR/T2L they got it pretty spot on most the time.

2006 is maybe the only one worse, not sure some of those can be topped

Get Up and Fight is actually quite enjoyable.

Infact, ST is the first album where I've not really skipped any songs and really enjoyed all of them the whole way through.

I fucking love Chris' vocal work in Liquid State(not so much in Save Me for obvious reasons) and wish they would do similar songs(dark, heavy and fast) in the future with Chris on the lead.

Matt’s best tone for years was on Sign O’ The Times at the BBC.

Yesssss. His tones on the 2nd Law tour were actually pretty spot on for the most part.

As Jobby said, ever since he's been relying on a mix of clangy, thin distortions and that really fuzzy, sub octave heavy tone a lot that is saturated in phaser it's just gone downhill.

NSC is actually not that bad, isn’t one of the worst songs from the TR era and is probs better than at least half of T2L.

I fucking love Chris' vocal work in Liquid State(not so much in Save Me for obvious reasons) and wish they would do similar songs(dark, heavy and fast) in the future with Chris on the lead.

I’d never want him to take lead again because, bless him, I just don’t think his vocals are unique or good enough for a band like Muse. His strength is clearly those gravelly belts though and I’d be up for hearing them implement that on a record alongside Matt’s lead vox. Similar to TSP back in the day, which I know a lot of people asked for for a while and has died down recently.

NSC is actually not that bad, isn’t one of the worst songs from the TR era and is probs better than at least half of T2L.
Ew

Mainly live, on record’s generally been pretty decent.

The main thing that’s really started to grate on me is his general ‘heavy’ tone. It’s so bottomed out and bass-heavy, sounds like it’s got a phaser on it 80% of the time as well. It ends up sounding so smooth and washed out that it’s almost like he’s using the neck pickup and it’s so bass dominant that it ends up blending with Chris’ sound. There’s so little crunch to it or spike from the treble end and it actively takes away from how big these parts can sound when the guitar’s trying to do the same thing as the bass, with the only dynamics coming when Matt abuses the sustainer. His lighter overdrive is better in the dynamics department but it’s still quite thin and sounds a bit too close to being clean at times.

Yes that was all I alluded too. I was actually rather disappointed when Ashamed came in after Showbiz because the riff had such little power because of his new heavy tone. I remember the riffage from 2011 Stockholm Syndrome and how huge that sounded.

Heaviness is a full frequency Matt.

I’d never want him to take lead again because, bless him, I just don’t think his vocals are unique or good enough for a band like Muse. His strength is clearly those gravelly belts though and I’d be up for hearing them implement that on a record alongside Matt’s lead vox. Similar to TSP back in the day, which I know a lot of people asked for for a while and has died down recently.

I find that we agree scarily often lately, but yes! I really don't mind NSC as much, and it was a fun song live too.

Regarding Chris: he shines in the shadow, he does so much that fills the songs with his bass lines and backings. Very underrated for me.

I would say Chris is highly rated by not only fans but casual listeners as well.

Obvs he’s a brill bass player. His backing vocals are v effective and fill parts out well but can be a bit off-key sometimes and I’d imagine it usually being Matt who actually writes those parts.

Rate him as a bass player and occasional guitar player highly. I’m just saying vocally he can usually pull off a really good belt but I just find his normal vocals a bit flat and kinda shakey (hard to tell how much of that was nerves when he’d sing live though).

I get that Chris shines "in the shadows" as far as being a support member but he's also probably one of the least conspicuous bassists in modern rock.

:noey:

Really just for Hoodoo

He did HTAILY and Unintended well enough back in the day too. Still a bit on that overly-clinical and strict side that killed Blackout but that doesn’t matter as much with those I guess.

Yesssss. His tones on the 2nd Law tour were actually pretty spot on for the most part.

As Jobby said, ever since he's been relying on a mix of clangy, thin distortions and that really fuzzy, sub octave heavy tone a lot that is saturated in phaser it's just gone downhill.

Need the ridiculous fuzz from T2L back