• 2 weeks later...

Muse are nothing like as exciting and generally mind blowing for me as they were when I heard their then latest album, Absolution.

I had a blast seeing them play live (particularly the first time - they were fantastic and I have seen a lot of live bands) but I knew the end was nigh for me personally when the last time I saw them the crowd were generally indifferent to CE, Bliss and RBS but LOVED Undisclosed Desires and Starlight. I knew then that this would be the last Muse gig I went to.

It was fun while it lasted though. :)

Edited by Big Jim

If any, it makes me sing louder to compensate. But yes, it might be a bit sad at times. I remember when I saw them last time and I got a ticket on one of those .mu ticket presales, which in my case was more of a post-sale.... I fet a bit down when barely anyone in my zone (people who know Muse better) didn't react to the likes of "Host" or "Falling Down".

Then again, being a hardcore fan!=prefering their older stuff!

So you care what other people think?

I don't like a band for how the gig goers react to their singles

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I generally don't care at all how fellow gig goers react to certain songs but I just thought it was a bit sad that a lot of people around me chose to chat all the way through RBS. I'd seen Bliss and CE played at previous gigs but to see RBS for me was mind blowing as I love that song. I think that's another reason I chose to call it a day after that last gig, I could die a happy man - I'd seen RBS live!

I thought the first three albums were absolutely mind blowing, Black Holes slightly less so although still good and The Resistance even more less so and IMO not quite so good. So for me, I felt I was witnessing the steady decline of a once individual great 'rock' band to a more mediocre 'pop' band, and I don't really do pop. I have nothing against people who like that sort of thing - that's fine, just that it's not for me. I absolutely hated the love and cheers that greeted Undisclosed Desires (particularly after the indifference to truly great songs) as certainly up to that point I felt it was Muse worst song to date. Hate is probably the wrong word, I just thought it was sad and that Muse seemed to be going in a direction that I couldn't follow.

I really wanted to buy the latest live bluray just for the Muse live spectacle as I honestly believe that in their day, they were unbeatable live but I just can't bring myself to buy it - pretty much due to the set list.

I didn't buy their latest album but I have listened to all the songs from it and I have to say, it does nothing for me at all.

As I say, it was great fun while it lasted and if I want to see how great Muse were, I'll just listen to an earlier album or even better, watch Hullaballoo or Absolution live.

In Your World is the best song on the EP.

Seriously? I've always felt it was the weakest by a long way.

Also, to the post further up- sorry mate, that's really not controversial. A significant proportion of people on this board think that- although personally I think it's a very simplistic view. Also, the crowd not being so into some songs can take away from some of the enjoyment, but I've seen Muse tear into old, comparatively rare songs with plenty of vigour and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Edited by Alec.

Unless someone around me at a gig is screaming (or talking) so loud that I have to move; an impressive feat at loud concerts, but one that has happened many times; or jumping into me so painfully that I need to take offensive maneuvers to correct the situation - I can't recall any times I've noticed the crowd around me at concerts.

Possibly working with the public has given me a strong ability to just blatantly ignore everyone around me.

I didn't buy their latest album but I have listened to all the songs from it and I have to say, it does nothing for me at all.

As I say, it was great fun while it lasted and if I want to see how great Muse were, I'll just listen to an earlier album or even better, watch Hullaballoo or Absolution live.

Fair enough opinion, but I hardly think a controversial one. Lots of old fans seemed to have jumped ship, although they've gained lots of new ones as well. I see the next album as some sort of a watershed for me personally. I'll probably always buy their new album, it's just hard to gather the level of involvement I once had anymore. Nothing to do with "Muse going pop", I love lots of pop music, just many of the choices they've made recently. (I realize this is very much contradicted by the fact that I spend time on this board, but really, providing a familiar distraction from thesis writing is a factor here.)

On the bright side, I think there are a lot of people who still want to like Muse and will probably gladly get back onboard if the music is there. Although that's just a personal observation not supported by anything terribly tangible.

I have no idea what In Your World sounds like. When prowling Youtube for further thesis distractions I also realized I've never seen the Invincible and Feeling Good music videos. /worst MMer ever.

I'm worried about the future album because of what Matt has said about it. He claims to have been inspired by classic rock, which really isn't my cup of tea. And knowing how bad Muse are at being subtle with their inspirations, the album will be a bunch of ripoffs of Back In Black, Heartbreaker and Paradise City.

Oh right. Not sure how much of what he says will actually be reflected on the album, as usual. Matt oving classic rock and Muse getting back to their own roots (both things said in the interview) aren't exactly the same thing afterall.

Well he did say that he was influenced by classic rock in his younger days, didn't he?

But yeah the probability of it isn't my concern, I'm just saying that I wouldn't like Muse's album to turn out the way Matt implies it will(which is quite controversial)

I hadn't even thought of that, I was more scared of the next one sounding like generic QOTSA(/Foo Fighters) because of US/LS.

I saw an interview where Matt said one reason he uses effects in his guitar play is because otherwise the music he plays would sound too much from the 60's and 70's. I think it was an old one and I don't know how much of the MB BS factor was in play but I guess classic rock then has always been looming somewhere in the background.

Muse, you had a distinctive, although evolving sound of your own once, after the early career hiccups. Y u gotta b liek tis? :'(

Yep. The main problem with Muse isn't that they changed, but that they left the concept of having a distinctive sound. Sure the sound progressed, but now it's just gone completely. And I feel like even if they do return to the roots, the sound will be lost and all that will be left is 11 totally separate songs with nothing to connect them besides having riffs.

I mean even if Space Dementia, Plug In Baby and Megalomania are all really different, they share the same sound.