I'll re-post my recent entry in the "random musings in your life" thread.

Today I was driving with a coworker and I put in Absolution, and here is how the conversation went during Apocalypse Please.

Coworker: This music's pretty good.

Me: It's Muse...Ever heard of them?

Coworker: Nope

Me: Yeah I just saw them live, pretty amazing.

Coworker: They sound like Creed, except not as heavy.

Me: *died a little on the inside*

:facepalm:

that's just straight up violating :O I would have gave that person a piece of my mind:mad:

oh god..CREED? blegggghhhh

anywho-we were throwing my best friend a birthday party and he brought his girlfriend for us to meet for the first time last weekend and me and my friend sara were talking about muse:

girlfriend (to her boyfriend/my best friend):who are they talking about?

him:muse :rolleyes:

her: oh yeah! twilight, duh! i like their song in the baseball scene

me/sara::facepalm::facepalm:

a little later:

her: yeah i dont really like them though, they sound too whiny

me::rolleyes: how many songs of theirs have you heard?

her: the baseball scene one

she gets whiny from smbh? clueless clueless clueless...im thinking i will try to convert her though since my friend seems to really like her :LOL:

Hardly anyone where I live has even heard of Muse, which surprises me because they kinda are the biggest band in the world, except for all of the Twatlighters turned ex-Twatlighters/closet-Twatlighters. And anyone who has heard of Muse here has only ever heard SMBH, Starlight and Uprising. And if they're a really hardcore Muse fan they'll also have heard Knights and Hysteria.

Oh, experience that I just remembered. I brought in OoS to my art class last year which I should have known would be a mistake because the only stuff anyone else ever brought in was Lifehouse and John Mayer and stuff, but when the New Born riff started everyone like freaked out and I think the whole album made them really uncomfortable. It was really funny but kind of awkward, you know? And when Space Dementia was playing, my teacher goes "You make me sick because I *adore* you so?? Ah ha ha ha" (with her weird fake laugh). But yeah, I think to that class, Muse was like death metal freaky child satan worshiping music.

Today I was driving with a coworker and I put in Absolution, and here is how the conversation went during Apocalypse Please.

Wow :LOL::facepalm: :facepalm:

I mean, Muse already sounds nothing like Creed, but come on, Apocalypse Please?!

Muse and Creed do have some similarities: There's some singing and some instruments involved, and sometimes they do concerts. Ha.:p Yeah that has to be one of the oddest comparisons I've heard.

Our music writer referred to Muse as "the Spacehog of our times." I thought that was pretty, uh, special. I don't really care when people criticize Muse, but I care when they just say outright dumb things. My friends aren't that bad recently. I mean, I like to think they respect my interest in Muse even if they don't have any interest. Either that or they just don't want to deal with my crap, so they politely avoid the topic.:LOL: Maybe both.

I will say, and maybe it's my age, but I rarely get the Twilight comments. Most of the people I talk to just haven't heard of Muse period, or just don't pay attention to them. My little sister is the only one I know to get really excited about Muse because of the Twilight connection, and I'm not going to hold it against her ... she's intellectually challenged and it's amazing that she reads those books all on her own! Other people I talk to are usually sympathetic when I tell them my favorite band was on the Twilight soundtrack .... "Ohhhh wow ... that's rough." LOL.

I was talking to my best friend today... she's a Robbie williams fan, :rolleyes:

and i told her that i got my muse tickets for october in new york.. (im from seattle)

and she said..

- wow, u r pretty obsessed with that band...:eek:

i said:

i'm not... i always like them, is just that now i can go everywhere to see them:mad:

she responded:

i dont even know them...r they good?

i said:

yeah, they're amazing, even more on live shows..;) they're british i said,

and then she just broke my heart and said..

oh i know, they r kind of like oasis, i like oasis better... and everybody knows them:eek:

after that...

i thought about how to kill her.. and i just said...

im hating you a lot right now.:mad:

Hardly anyone where I live has even heard of Muse, which surprises me because they kinda are the biggest band in the world, except for all of the Twatlighters turned ex-Twatlighters/closet-Twatlighters. And anyone who has heard of Muse here has only ever heard SMBH, Starlight and Uprising. And if they're a really hardcore Muse fan they'll also have heard Knights and Hysteria.

Oh, experience that I just remembered. I brought in OoS to my art class last year which I should have known would be a mistake because the only stuff anyone else ever brought in was Lifehouse and John Mayer and stuff, but when the New Born riff started everyone like freaked out and I think the whole album made them really uncomfortable. It was really funny but kind of awkward, you know? And when Space Dementia was playing, my teacher goes "You make me sick because I *adore* you so?? Ah ha ha ha" (with her weird fake laugh). But yeah, I think to that class, Muse was like death metal freaky child satan worshiping music.

I lol'd. I'm so sorry. :LOL:

I remember one time at the beginning of the year our English teacher told us to bring in 5 items that represent us. I brought two CDs, among other things; Absolution by Muse (for obvious reasons) and Raditude by Weezer (awesome album art). Most people had heard of Weezer, and chuckled at the cover, but only like 1 person had heard of Muse. Maybe two if I was lucky.

But then I was looking at another kid, who had brought a CD too, and you wanna know what he brings?

a Nickelback CD. And everyone recognized it.

*insert RAAAAAAGE*

Some of my "friends" in my music class, saying this just loud enough for me to hear:

Boy 1: "Do you know the song, House Of The Rising Sun?"

Boy 2: "Umm... "

Boy 1: "You know Green Day and U2 did a cover of it... *sings a little*"

Boy 2: "Oh yeah!"

Boy 1: "Muse did a cover of that....'

My ears prick up

Boy 1: "It was shit."

Boy 2: "Thats because Muse are shit"

Boy 1: "They fucking suck."

I got like hulk angry, on the inside. They only hate Muse because I like it.

Some of my "friends" in my music class, saying this just loud enough for me to hear:

My ears prick up

Awww, my guess would be they were trying to piss you off on purpose. Boys are mean.:( Anyhow, that cover is deadly awesome. Everybody covers House of the Rising Sun, and most bands/artists do OK or even great, but all sound the same ... Muse's version definitely had its own style and brought something new to the song.:happy:

Okay...this takes some building up and its a bit of a story lol...

When I was about 9 I was completely OBSESSED with Muscle Museum as soon as I heard it and I resolved to hunting down a CD with that track on... so eventually some years later I managed to get myself Showbiz along with OoS some years later...

However I never actually managed to get 'round to listening to my one time musical obsession that was Muscle Museum...

Why?

Because my Dad who had never heard of Muse before and simply dismissed them the second he saw Showbiz and didn't even want to hear why He broke the CD when he was in a bit of a rage by tossing it on a concrete kitchen floor

Now understandably I was *ahem* a bit upset. (very actually lol)

So I decided to get even.I got hold of my copy of Absolution, stuck it on repeat on the CD player and then jammed it...so it was constantly playing...

Did it send my Dad crazy?

No...It converted him to liking Muse and now my back catalogue has mysteriously disappeared,..In fact anytime the subject of Muse is brought up, my dad sprouts more hot air then a frickin teapot about them... he'll swear blind he doesn't have a back catalogue of them and then he *not I* heard of Muse first and loved them ever since, he'd even claim the Muse CDs that haven't disappeared out of sight are his! :rolleyes:

Oh but this is not the best part folks...

Oh no.

Ask my dad what his favourite Muse song is...

and he can't even name Supermassiveblackhole!

Parents *sigh*

Awww, my guess would be they were trying to piss you off on purpose. Boys are mean.:( Anyhow, that cover is deadly awesome. Everybody covers House of the Rising Sun, and most bands/artists do OK or even great, but all sound the same ... Muse's version definitely had its own style and brought something new to the song.:happy:

Maybe they were doing it on purpose, boys will be boys. And the arpeggios in HOTRS? :awesome: How can you not like it?

Over four years ago, when I first discovered Muse I made the mistake of calling them "the muse". The guy who I was talking to flipped out! "The muse? THE MUSE!?!?!?! No. No. No. NO. NO. NO! It is just MUSE. No "the". GOT IT?" he yelled. Needless to say, I never made THAT mistake again. Who would've thought that I turned out to be a bigger fan than he is. Also let me mention, I was in 8th grade and live in the US. I am quite proud of discovering them as soon as I did.

A while ago I posted on the thread about the 'slow' guy in my class asking me what I'm listening to (Muse) today, he just said:

"What are you listen- oh lemme guess, is it Muse?"

Me: "Yeah..."

About 20 mins later, the other boy in my class (two people not including me in my class today) asked me what I was listening to.

Me: "Funnily enough, it's Muse"

Other Boy: "What songs do they have on the radio that I know?"

Me "Uhhh ummmm Undisclosed Desires is, cause it's different from their kind of music."

Other Boy: "Mmmm, hmmm"

Me: "Undisclosed Desires?" (I was gunna sing it, but I didn't really feel like continuing the conversation)

Other Boy: "So they're on Triple J?" (alternative music radio station, they love Muse)

Me: "Yeah."

I hate my class :indiff:

I remember when muse released BH&R they had a small interview with them on a morning show here called 'sunrise'. Molly Meldrum does the music stuff on it and he made a big stuff up :p he was like 'yeah so I caught up with chris and dommy earlier, and this is what they had to say' - and then they cross over to a scene with matt and dom :LOL:

I respect Molly Meldrum but he is non-muser... :noey:

I was talking to a girl at school about being super upset at not going to BDO and seeing Muse, and she asked me who they were. I, very reluctantly, sung a couple of bars of Undisclosed, because I reasoned she probably would have heard it on commercial radio. She gave a vague reply and said, 'cool'. A couple of days later, she turned to me in class and said, 'Oh, I saw that Muse song on TV, it's pretty good.' I smiled.

'But then they played some other one, and it was really boring.' :indiff:

WHAT? Boring? And why would I want to hear that you thought it was boring??

Another girl, when she found out I liked Muse said 'Aw. That's cute.'

I said, 'How is that cute? They're fucking awesome.'

She said, 'Oh, it's just, everyone listens to them [obviously meaning she doesn't want to listen to anything too mainstream :rolleyes:] I just hear about them all the time.'

Me: 'Who likes them? I only know two other people in our year who do, and only one is an actual fan...'

Girl: 'Yeah, well...'

Friend: "Oh my gosh, what are you listening to? The Twilight band? Oh, that new band? Nuse, or whatever?"

Me: -Rofling- "Here, listen to this," -Plays CE-

Friend: "What is this? I thought they just wrote for Twilight?"

Me: :facepalm:

The fuck? :facepalm:

omg :LOL:

I've only really had my best friend call them The Muse, so I had to correct her right away, it pisses me off too!

Ok so this one isn't really about Muse but more about us Musers

I was talking to some Musers on twitter and we were talking about slang from the states, Canada, and Ireland. I couldn't really think of anything Canadian except "eh" so I asked my one friend on MSN what Canadian slang we have and he was helping me out. Then he asks, "are you writing a paper or something?" and I said "no, I'm talking to some people about slang" and he's like "oh, f*** your Muse friends!" :eek::mad::fear: I was beyond pissed to say the least.. some friends I have uh?

The Non-Musers in my life are what led me to this messageboard. I got tired of my husband rolling his eyes at me every time I say "Muse..." But I'm still excited from seeing them this year (for the 6th and 7th time) and I'm looking forward to the October show. Can't help it! Only other Musers understand :)

I tried to explain the twilight thing to a friend of mine, who attended her first Muse concert with me April 3. I told her that there were kids who would come to the show just because it could be linked to the twilight soundtrack, and she didn't believe me until we saw a group of young teens all wearing their New Moon shirts. I'm willing to bet they didn't know anything but SMBH.

And I withdrew my offer to take my friend's daughter after she said "are they going to play the twilight song?" I'm not wasting a ticket on someone who won't appreciate it. I still haven't forgiven my ex for wanting to go home from a show during the Absolution tour because he "got bored." Blasphemy!

I'm always seen as "the freak" in my school for liking Muse waaaaay too much :rolleyes:. In my school, a band/singer is only popular if their songs are played on the radio tons of times. So many people really like to annoy me and stuff. This one kid in my Science class purposly calls them "mooose" >.>. And most kids who have heard of Muse have only heard Uprising, or SMBH, but you know those are the twilighters. Everytime I talk about Muse to my friends, they're just like, "Oh, not Muse again, Maria!!!" :mad:.

There really are only 1 or 2 people who appreciate my obsession and actually listen to Muse. That would be my best friend and the kid I like. I converted my best friend, and the kid I like knows a lot about Muse from me talking about them everyday :LOL:. I have yet to show him tons of amazing songs, but he's never online!!!!

In music me and my friends were playing starlight (for a band project in the lesson). And a guy in my classes thinkin was cool came and joined in with the singing but much to my annoyment he got them wrong and sang (insted of I just wanted to hold) 'i just wanted to know', and in an annoying voice as well.

I will say, and maybe it's my age, but I rarely get the Twilight comments. Most of the people I talk to just haven't heard of Muse period, or just don't pay attention to them. My little sister is the only one I know to get really excited about Muse because of the Twilight connection, and I'm not going to hold it against her ... she's intellectually challenged and it's amazing that she reads those books all on her own! Other people I talk to are usually sympathetic when I tell them my favorite band was on the Twilight soundtrack .... "Ohhhh wow ... that's rough." LOL.

Well, to people who say things about Muse being on Twilight, I just say, "So was Radiohead." :p

My ears prick up

:eek: Well, tbh I admit I used to not like Muse's cover of HOTRS either. It's a bit overwhelming when you're used to the usual version.

None of my friends are really into Muse. I'm sure a lot of you guys have been there. It just kind of blows, because I'll see something Muse-related and the only place I can mention it is the messageboard. When I went to see them in March I had to pay part of my friend's ticket in order to actually convince someone to come along with me. Although she had an awesome time ("That guy has the MOST BITCHIN' VOICE EVER"), I really wish I could have gone with someone who actually knew other songs beside Starlight, SMBH, and Uprising. I guess not everybody can have good taste, right? :LOL:

So I keep my mouth shut around them, so I don't have to hear moans and groans every time I talk about Muse. I wish I could just run into a hardcore Muser one day, it would rock my world. I keep waitin' for the day I see a t-shirt or somebody humming Citizen Erased, but I haven't even had luck with that!

Me and my one friend have this thing where whenever something good happens we sing Uprising. You know, "We will be victorious!" So anyway we were singing this song when a kid behind me goes, "Oh I know that song. I have it on my iPod. Don't they have another song too, like, Resistance?" (So far I have yet to meet anyone who knows any of their songs past Uprising so this was a big step) Me: "Yeah they're great, I love them." The kid: "But really, I can't beleive they only have those two songs. They should write more."

I'm just going to stop now.

Archived