:erm: Really? Have you an example?

I don't say it like is a bad thing, is obvious that some of his poses are like "Come on! adore me!" but that's part of his stage persona, I like that and I doubt he takes himself seriously.

All I saw of the show was that :57 bit on YT, but what a lot of meh.

Matt is a bit of a diva, but in ways that don't have anything to do with Muse's food & beverage riders, which are minimally demanding. I can see why they cut to the Spinal Tap scene, though, because Matt's own quote referred to it, but a better program would've then quickly transitioned to footage showing Matt's actual diva-ish tendencies -- such as smashing a guitar into a drumkit or something -- any of the innumerable moments in which Matt really did "lose it" onstage over the years.

Did the program touch upon the subject of fashion & costuming, onstage or off? Because that's another area where Matt's rather diva-ish of late. That red Alexander McQueen coat with the fur trim was pretty attention-seeking, to say nothing of the garbage bag/chicken-suit poncho-thingy he wore once or twice onstage (I don't think we even have a unified tag to refer to it!), the grey metallic beaded suit he's worn a lot on the current tour, and so on.

Another topic they should've covered is how singers protect (or, in some cases, deliberately abuse with cigarettes and such) their vocal chords. Matt's red wine habit is supposedly due largely to its not hurting his voice.

Such a wasted opportunity...

Re. singers protecting their voices -- Matt's a particularly good subject for this topic because of the operatic singing style and falsetto he uses on so much of their catalogue and their prominence in defining the whole Muse sound and style. Their fans are thrilled when he hits the very high notes in songs like "Bliss" and "Showbiz" -- so how do singers like Matt deal with issues related to age-related voice deepening and coarsening, and what do they do to preserve their voices?

Oh, and Matt being a "cyber-boffin"? Would this be the same cyber-boffin who accidentally deleted the first Muse message board? It is to laugh...

I don't say it like is a bad thing, is obvious that some of his poses are like "Come on! adore me!" but that's part of his stage persona, I like that and I doubt he takes himself seriously.

Yeah, I wouldn't describe that as him thinking he's God, and he has said himself that he's not taking it seriously. It's just a performance. Though I reckon there possibly have been moments when it crosses over. Moments when he gets a bit carried away that are captured for prosperity, and I wonder if he comes off stage and thinks, "shit, did I actually do that?".:chuckle: Maybe he doesn't I don't know but the point is that he questions it overall. And that was the kind of thing I thought might have been discussed in a bit more detail - the psychological affect of all that adoration which I think Matt was referring to, but it was glazed over really.

Matt is a bit of a diva, but in ways that don't have anything to do with Muse's food & beverage riders, which are minimally demanding. I can see why they cut to the Spinal Tap scene, though, because Matt's own quote referred to it, but a better program would've then quickly transitioned to footage showing Matt's actual diva-ish tendencies -- such as smashing a guitar into a drumkit or something -- any of the innumerable moments in which Matt really did "lose it" onstage over the years.

Did the program touch upon the subject of fashion & costuming, onstage or off? Because that's another area where Matt's rather diva-ish of late. That red Alexander McQueen coat with the fur trim was pretty attention-seeking, to say nothing of the garbage bag/chicken-suit poncho-thingy he wore once or twice onstage (I don't think we even have a unified tag to refer to it!), the grey metallic beaded suit he's worn a lot on the current tour, and so on.

Another topic they should've covered is how singers protect (or, in some cases, deliberately abuse with cigarettes and such) their vocal chords. Matt's red wine habit is supposedly due largely to its not hurting his voice.

Yeah this is also the sort of stuff that would have been interesting to hear about, not just regarding Matt as I realise he's not the most well known frontman, but generally. How much is the frontman a result of expectations of those in the audience? And how much are those expectations real or a media invention? Is the guitar smashing, hair dying etc a result of artistic personality or lifestyle pressures or is it because there is an expectation to conform to some kind of rock star definition? It's possibly a mixture. They touched on these things (I think) but didn't really explore any of it enough imo.

Btw I have to say I do enjoy Matt's dramatic clothes' choices.:D I see it more as artistic expression than diva-ish. It depends what the definition of diva is I suppose. To me he's still just Matt wearing a funny red coat with fur! :chuckle:

And then who was that person who was doing the weird act, who killed himself? The fact that he died only warranted comment that it was apparently another reason to put him and people like him on a higher pedestal. How dismissive was that? It was just a programme that generally glorified the sensationalism and I think it was the fact that there was that sensationalisation that niggled me more than anything.

Anyway we should be used to crap TV really I suppose. It just sounded to me from the description that this might have been something with a bit more depth.

By the way, sorry for my winging! :$

You clearly don't understand what a "diva" is.

And then who was that person who was doing the weird act, who killed himself?

That would be Ian Curtis of Joy Division. Tragic waste of an enormous talent...

I agree with you on it being a bit lightweight, though it was pleasant enough viewing on a Sunday afternoon with a bit of a hangover. :)

aww it showed nettie in a crowd :(

I cried a little bit when I saw Jen :(

my mum asked if id seen this cos "your mate david bellamy was on it!"

:LOL:bellz.jpg

I liked when Tom Kasabian was describing his and Serge's bond as being like Batfink and Karate :D

That would be Ian Curtis of Joy Division. Tragic waste of an enormous talent...

I agree with you on it being a bit lightweight, though it was pleasant enough viewing on a Sunday afternoon with a bit of a hangover. :)

Thanks. I was just sitting there thinking what the hell happened to this guy? And what happened with Kurt Cobain was just glossed over too. Maybe there's a need for individual documentaries. I don't know if there have been any. There was probably just too much crammed into this show.

Thanks. I was just sitting there thinking what the hell happened to this guy? And what happened with Kurt Cobain was just glossed over too. Maybe there's a need for individual documentaries. I don't know if there have been any. There was probably just too much crammed into this show.

Watch the BBC's documentary on Factory Records, as hell as the films Control and 24 Hour Party People. Ian Curtis' death and what happened is well documented and it wasn't to do with his role of fronting Joy Division as they weren't massive at the time.

There's been a film about Ian Curtis, it's called Control and was on E4 recently. It's a really good film actually.

EDIT: Oops, someone beat me to this!

Apparently they're doing a film about Kurt Cobain too with Robert Pattinson playing him.

Oh okay thank you. I'm not particularly interested in this guy, I just thought it was a bit weird and trivialised, but I might take a look.

Apparently they're doing a film about Kurt Cobain too with Robert Pattinson playing him.

Oh God! That's a bit creepy actually. But I didn't know that. Maybe a good film. Thanks.

Oh okay thank you. I'm not particularly interested in this guy, I just thought it was a bit weird and trivialised, but I might take a look.

I don't think it would have been good to focus on or glamourise their deaths in any way and as I said, well documented already.

Might as well have a show on the 27 Club and how heroin can make you play like Bird.

You clearly don't understand what a "diva" is.

Losing it on stage and smashing gear is not really a thing a diva does.

That would mean Pete Townshend or Kurt Cobain were divas?

OR Jimi Hendrix for lighting his guitar on fire. Damn rock-star divas always looking good and trashing their gear. :mad:

Yeah, it's a reference to how people behave off stage, not on it, so the Spinal Tap clip was totally appropriate.

Should've had more on Matt due to the fact that he's an electrifying frontman, odd singer (falsetto) but is very shy and mild mannered in interviews/real life.

I know they'll have loads on him next week, but I think he was overlooked (a couple of seconds interview? Rubbish!)

Should've had more on Matt due to the fact that he's an electrifying frontman, odd singer (falsetto) but is very shy and mild mannered in interviews/real life.

I know they'll have loads on him next week, but I think he was overlooked (a couple of seconds interview? Rubbish!)

I sometimes think if they gave him the time of day, they'd find him more fascinating than the lot of them! He's quite an enigma really! :) Though I'm glad they don't in a way. I think he's better off outside the mainstream media attention.

Archived