Have you ever been on stage in a band?

It is horrible being in front of people knowing they are judging you. When I first started playing them I'd almost be throwing up beforehand and not able to talk to anyone afterwards and the only way to deal with it is just to be arrogant, actually believe you are that fucking good.

I'm not criticising the performers, though I personally I don't enjoy "big I am" frontman performances, I just think the programme could have been better made. Less skitting around and sensationalism regarding the role of the frontman and a bit more time hearing what the performers had to say about their experiences.

I spent the whole time thinking about the fact that Matt didn't really fit any of the stereotypes.

No he doesn't really but then we know that because we know a lot about him. Possibly a lot of the other performers don't either.

I'm not criticising the performers, though I personally I don't enjoy "big I am" frontman performances, I just think the programme could have been better made. Less skitting around and sensationalism regarding the role of the frontman and a bit more time hearing what the performers had to say about their experiences.

Experiences of what?

Matt does fit the stereotype, look at some of the shit he wears, the guitars he uses, the way he performs... that's a frontman!

Experiences of what?

Matt does fit the stereotype, look at some of the shit he wears, the guitars he uses, the way he performs... that's a frontman!

Experiences of being a frontman obviously! To me it was too much from the perspective of what an audience apparently wants in a frontman.

Matt doesn't quite fit in anyway because the majority were just singers and I'm not sure musicianship was even mentioned. It was all about the hype and nothing about actually being a good musician.

Experiences of being a frontman obviously! To me it was too much from the perspective of what an audience apparently wants in a frontman.

Matt doesn't quite fit in anyway because the majority were just singers.

Wasn't it about what makes a great frontman, not what it's like?

It wouldn't have been a great programme is they said what it's like being in a band and totally destroying the myth it's all sex'n'drugs'n'rock'n'roll when it's most travelling, getting lost, sitting around doing nothing, not to mention rehearsals in tiny rooms that are too hot & sweaty and lots of arguing about what order to play the songs in and equipment letting you down at the most inconvenient times.

Also the frontman is who is the main focus point, he totally fits the stereotype.

Wasn't it about what makes a great frontman, not what it's like?

Also the frontman is who is the main focus point, he totally fits the stereotype.

The evidence is examined closely in forensic studies of what makes these rock 'n' roll types tick - starting with the lead singer.

Hmm! I just don't think it did that. Tabloid studies more like! That's my opinion. I think they did need to at least investigate the myth. They touched on touring being less glamorous than appears but the whole thing was too superficial imo.

I understand that Bellamy fits the stereotype but there are tons of better lead singers than him. :LOL:

It was a good program though in general.

I agree Matt is good but there are a lot more iconic lead singers than him.

I thought it was good for a Saturday night BBC entertainment program.

anyone know if this show is repeated - bloody snooker ruined my recording.

I tried google & found a Thurs night repeat on BBC2 - but my EPG has the election coverage on then :(

It's also being repeated on BBC2 on Sat 8th at 11.15pm according to the BBC website.

My recording got messed up by the snooker too :mad:

I don't think Matt fits the stereotype because he doesn't believe his own hype. He doesn't take it beyond the stage and he's not concerned with promoting himself. It's all about the music and the band, and the guys actually hope the stage show, lighting etc will reduce the focus on themselves.

Though Matt does all the moves etc, and I reckon he does enjoy the attention from the ladies when he's on stage, he gives the impression that overall he's a reluctant frontman. And what makes him good is not because he's strutting the stage acting like he thinks he's God (and tbh I can't think of anything worse than watching a performer like that, makes me feel like cringing just typing it - although apparently that is what the audience want, so I must be odd in that way) but because he's a great musician.

There was so much that niggled me about the programme but it would be a very long post!

Maybe the programme will improve next week.

And what makes him good is not because he's strutting the stage acting like he thinks he's God (and tbh I can't think of anything worse than watching a performer like that, makes me feel like cringing just typing it - although apparently that is what the audience want, so I must be odd in that way) but because he's a great musician.

Well, I think he acts like he thinks he's God sometimes :chuckle:

great seeing matt on the telly box last night!

my little baby on the screen...national tv :D

He looks so darn sexy and smart, Im surpirsed my mum didnt comment on his attractivness!

He's on next weeks too, see here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sf772

Cant wait! I hope Chris and Dom are on the other weeks too.

Oh Oh Oh Should be good!:dance: I watched it last night, and i have to say Matt's hair was looking very nice.

I understand that Bellamy fits the stereotype but there are tons of better lead singers than him. :LOL:

It was a good program though in general.

PML - i think he's a fabulous lead singer but he doesn't exactly fit the stereotype :LOL: or rather, he has the characteristics on paper, but then for some reason it doesnt translate as other lead singers (and frontmen, i guess) do.

you'd think that the lead singer of a massive band such as muse would have a different sort of image and impact than the one he has.

i thought there were was a little more on the show than those 50 seconds? doesnt matter, he was tasty enough for those mere seconds :p:D

Archived