I don't understand why some Muse fans so upset when Muse are compared to Queen, and say 'only USoE sounds like Queen'.

People started to compare them to Queen as far back as the Origin days.

I remember I once introduced a friend to Knights of Cydonia and when the big end riff kicked in he said 'Wow, this reminds me of Bohemian Rapsody'.

I never noticed the Queen connection till TR. Although, I know what you're saying (about Queen comparisons happening from the early days) is true as I saw an early article from the NME Muse special magazine which confirms this. It really surprised me though.

When I first heard Muse back in the Origin days, I thought they sounded like Radiohead and not remotely like Queen. I don't get upset with comparisons but I disagree with anyone who says 'you can't get any more like Queen than Muse'. I think Muse have a sound that is their own, no matter how much they may get compared to Radiohead, Queen, Goldfrapp, the Dr Who theme.... or whatever.:)

But nobody has had a truly unique sound for ages. It's inevitable we've got to a point where it's harder to do something new. That's not an insult to Muse or any other band but it's also not an insult to suggest their style is a modern twist on things that have come before them.

i just watched the guitarist episode on iplayer

and they did a matt bellamy bit at the end, saying he was the first proper lead guitarist of the present generation. it's one of those rare precious times the media's got something about muse right!!

Archived