'Endlessly' - record of the week, Ken Bruce, Radio 2

brionyl

Ken Bruce's record of the week this week on Radio 2 is Renee Fleming's cover of 'Endlessly'. Gave me quite a surprise at work this morning when I heard it. I've seen some adverse comments about it on here but I like it. It's such a beautiful song anyway.

I just heard it on youtube. I was anxious to hear this song when I found out about the album a few months ago. I used to sing opera so I love that Renee is enjoying the modern music. Her version is interesting since her voice is more up front in the production. She has the passion and the enunciation...but then I listened to the Muse one and that is so definitely better. More passion in Matt's voice and the key sounds better with his voice. Muse wins for me!

Meh. Thoroughly underwhelmed.

Not good because:

- she took the 'Muse-iness' out of it (well, duh, she's not Matt), but more than that

- she took her own 'Renee-ness' out of it (IOW, stick to opera honey).

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood due to no Florida fall dates (yet???)

Somehow I bet the plebs will prefer the Renee version of it and that I'll prefer the Muse version, which is one of my favourite Muse songs.

It definetley sounds like the direction that Muse circa 2010 would go for, not Muse 2003 when this was released. The voice is also strikingly similar which is nice.

Despite this, in IMO the Muse one is better because of its simplicity. The song feels cluttered with strings and is rather clunkily sung. So I'll keep with the Muse one. Wish my votes for it being played live at Wembley would work though...

I do like her version. I think she's got a lovely voice and I think her version has added in a bit of drama in the instrumental side of it, Muse's version is a more laid back (I think both are good) but what is very weird is that her vocal interpretation is virtually an identical match to Matt's. She has copied his timing, his inflections, everything! There is no originality in her vocal interpretation at all! :stunned:

Maybe that has something to do with being a classical singer, I don't know, but it does make me think - what's the point? Surely the skill is in reinterpretation, not in attempting a copycat of the original. Maybe that's why Matt's vocal sounds like it has more emotion as his is an original interpretation of the emotion in the lyrics but her's is a fake copy!

BTW her voice doesn't sound more up front to me, well not in comparison to a windows media version of Muse's Endlessly anyway. One thing it made me revisit Endlessly and appreciate how beautiful Matt's voice sounds on this song. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I don't like it. I was expecting it to be a lot better when I first heard she was covering the song.

There's already a thread for this btw.

Bugger it :(:p bit slow today, mods? ;)

Yeah it has the possibility of being epic and catchy, but misses out just a bit.

Archived