I think you'd be better off going with a Cheap Squier tele for a super budget build. IMO if you are going to replicate the guitar, at least do it right, if not, do a custom guitar for you!

Tele's look okay I guess though... we've all seen worse attempts at a mattocaster!

hqdefault.jpg

To be honest, modding a cheap guitar into a 'replica' or whatever is more time and hassle than building a custom from scratch, and probably as expensive as well.

If you lack the tools/time/talent, it's not hard to find someone who will do the work for you.

To be honest, modding a cheap guitar into a 'replica' or whatever is more time and hassle than building a custom from scratch, and probably as expensive as well.

If you lack the tools/time/talent, it's not hard to find someone who will do the work for you.

Yes and no I guess... It all depends on the resources you have at hand, and what you are trying to get out of it in the end. I originally started research to mod a telecaster to me kind of mattocaster, and the research quickly led me to being in the middle of a from scratch build. To just want to drop a MIDI pad and sustainer into a black guitar, and be kind of mattocaster, I think the telecaster is a good route, but I agree that if you are going to do it, might as well do it right and put the money towards a better end product. Start with a cheap guitar, and in the end, you will still have a cheap guitar with some fancy electronics and paint.

After my amp was picking up radio signals today I've have an edgy a creative idea for my set up. Reminiscent of Jonny Greenwood's use of a VHS player/radio during The National Anthem I've been thinking of a way to implement a cassette player on my pedal board to use for ambient sounds.

My current signal chain is: Guitar > Whammy IV > Tuner > Big Muff > Mooer Blue Faze > DB Design Oscillator > DOD Flanger > Memory Toy > Amp

I was thinking of using one of these: http://www.gak.co.uk/en/art-coolswitch/777?gclid=CNnwzbeKmLsCFdOWtAoddHwAng what do you guys think?

I have no idea what the tapes are bringing to this. Are you going to record sounds from pedals on to the tape, and then put that through pedals again? You might prefer that Danelectro tape looper pedal thingie - if they still make them

I'm intrigued by the idea of incorporating a tape machine into a pedal board but I really can't think of a good reason

A 4-track cassette recorder would be better than an old walkman. An old reel-to-reel could also be interesting as easier to make tape loops with those sorts of devices than cassette. Still plenty of fun ways to fuck with cassettes though.

Would be a shame to run it into an amp though, would mask some of the flaws of cassettes.

I was thinking of using some audio books or spoken word recordings. I found when I played around with effects on the news bulletin radio signal that my guitar picked up It created interesting sounds that barely resembled what was originally coming through. The combination of whammy, fuzz and delay worked particularly well.

I tried my old walkman a minute ago and it's knackered so I'm gonna keep an eye out on Ebay for one at a good price

Go for a 4-track cassette, you'll get more options then for what you are looking at doing and they are just fucking awesome if you want to start a garage punk band. :happy:

• 3 months later...
Well no, by the sound of things he can't find a head amp or a normal amp that's like a VH4 which isn't a head amp or normal amp.

exactly, the VH4 is an amp head anyway so it's never going to sound like a head amp or a normal amp, it'll always sound like an amp head. I don't see the problem anyway, if you want the VH4 sound why not just get an amp head? I really don't see the advantage of using a normal amp over an amp head, and when it comes to head amps... COME ON! They just don't match up. Especially not if you're trying to plug it into a cab speaker

Archived