amp modelling is pretty much what you describe, but it won't exactly replicate the amp selected for two reasons: 1, no amount of modelling will get the absolute exact tone of a particular amp, and 2, your own amp will affect the sound output. as for recording using the podxt, I don't think you can do it but line6 do sell software (you can get either guitarport or rifftracker iirc) that you can put on your pc and record with, and you can use the podxt in conjunction with that to get effects and amp models and stuff like that. you can't record onto the pod itself though

I think guitarport comes with Pod XT live, which is good. Is it possible to Guitar > PodXT live > pc, with the xt live connect with a USB.

uh, no offense meant, but do you actually know what a KP2 (or 1) actually does? They're NOT designed for guitar, and unless you did build it into your guitar, it'd be very hard to control! Im sure matt has a tech that changes the patches for him anyway! I think it's a VERY expensive way of making noise imho, and unless you're into techno type stuff, it won't get alot of use...

I read a thread where some people were discussing matts "magic pad" and that it "did something on invincible" but that was all they could come up with. That part of invincible isn't even played on the guitar! It's JUST the KP2 (plus maybe a synth, I don't remember). Even though it sounds awesome, I just think it'd be a waste of your money dude!

I know I've asked this before, but has anyone tried the little big muff? Worth getting? I can't be doing with a full sized muff :LOL:

No offense taken :D , I know I'm getting way over my head, but it's just because I'm getting these things at decent prices, while I have some money. I don't imagine much people will be able to fix it into a guitar though :( . I was told it's possible to find a patch, hold it.. and connect the guitar to it, and then to the amp, and play sounds, which the Pad will affect.

Yea I'm quite eager to hear about this big muff.. Alot of people are hyping it, so would love to know what it does.

Thanks for the replys guys

No offense taken :D , I know I'm getting way over my head, but it's just because I'm getting these things at decent prices, while I have some money. I don't imagine much people will be able to fix it into a guitar though :( . I was told it's possible to find a patch, hold it.. and connect the guitar to it, and then to the amp, and play sounds, which the Pad will affect.

Yea I'm quite eager to hear about this big muff.. Alot of people are hyping it, so would love to know what it does.

Thanks for the replys guys

the big muff is a fuzz pedal, used by loads of people.

yeah, the kaoss pad is kinda wasted with guitar, as it's a tad difficult to play guitar and play around with the pad at the same time, also sampling with one could be problematic, so what it's popular for is kinda made redundant with a guitar hooked up to it.

i personally prefer effects on the floor where i can use my foot to control them, although people on here seem to have a thing about looking like a twat on speed when they are on stage.

if you wanted to do some interesting stuff with vocals, samplers, synths etc, the a kaoss pad would definately be worth looking into :)

I really reccomend a musicman SUB bass. If anyone is looking for a mid-priced bass, this is an excelent alternative to a Fender Jazz. Doesen't quite have the Stingray growl, but for the $400 I paid for it (used) its been fantastic.

I agree, plus they've been discontinued now so they might become worth more than the sum of their parts.

Cheers :D

For someone who's never used anything like a pedal or and effects thing, would it be easy to use? Also unclear what it means by amp modelling? Does it mean it models the sound of the amp of choice, and makes your amp sound like it?:$

Also.. unclear if it lets you record things ONTO it.. or if it's possible to connect to the pc and record things through the pod XT onto the PC. Any info for a n00b would be muchos grandes

The whole paragraph is related to a pod XT btw

On a side note... I'm looking at a KP2... seeing as I'm a begginer, would I be just as well getting a KP1 as it's cheaper, or is the gap so vast, that it's not worth getting?

OK some of the stuff posted back about this is slightly misleading/can be read the wrong way.. so ill just make you you know what it does:

yes the pod xt / pod xt live is very easy to use, just read through the important parts of the manual to see what the knobs do and play around with it for a few hours :)

amp modelling is the digital signal processing that occurs within the pod to make the output sound like the amp that you tell it to sound like (it comes with lots to choose from). You can not only choose to model a certain preamp (head part) but you can also choose if you wish, to model the speaker cabinet part too. This is best for recording and headphone / PA system use, as you will already have a speaker on your amp. It sounds pretty damned close. The effects modelling is good also, i tried an A/B of my big muff against the pod's attempt to sound like one, and i was impressed.

for recording, the pod effectively replaces your PC's soundcard when running through a usb connection, and allows you to record into your recording program of choice.

you dont record ONTO the pod, and it comes with no recording capabilities, but you record through it, into your recording software... so you plug your guitar into the pod and then run either a USB cable or a jack cable into your pc, whichever you prefer (usb will probs be better quality). From there you can open your recording program and hit record. Dont have a recording program already? line6 make recording software specially made for use with the pod.. which is nice of them isnt it? i dont know how good this software is, as i use cubase. the recording software does not come with the pod.

however, there is some software that does come with the pod. this is line6 edit and line6 monkey. they basically let you keep your pod up to date with the latest version of software on it and also let you edit all the settings on your pod from the PC, and save onto the pod. you can also use the internet through a line6 program inside line6 edit to download tones and settings other people have uploaded, there are loads out there.

to sum it up, the pod xt effectively replaces your soundcard when used through usb. it may or may not come with a usb cable, but theyre hardly expensive and you'll probably find you have one spare anyway from a printer or something.

hope that clears up anything that might have been left a little hazy (i know that i was confused the first time i started looking at interfaces similar to these)

OK some of the stuff posted back about this is slightly misleading/can be read the wrong way.. so ill just make you you know what it does:

yes the pod xt / pod xt live is very easy to use, just read through the important parts of the manual to see what the knobs do and play around with it for a few hours :)

amp modelling is the digital signal processing that occurs within the pod to make the output sound like the amp that you tell it to sound like (it comes with lots to choose from). You can not only choose to model a certain preamp (head part) but you can also choose if you wish, to model the speaker cabinet part too. This is best for recording and headphone / PA system use, as you will already have a speaker on your amp. It sounds pretty damned close. The effects modelling is good also, i tried an A/B of my big muff against the pod's attempt to sound like one, and i was impressed.

for recording, the pod effectively replaces your PC's soundcard when running through a usb connection, and allows you to record into your recording program of choice.

you dont record ONTO the pod, and it comes with no recording capabilities, but you record through it, into your recording software... so you plug your guitar into the pod and then run either a USB cable or a jack cable into your pc, whichever you prefer (usb will probs be better quality). From there you can open your recording program and hit record. Dont have a recording program already? line6 make recording software specially made for use with the pod.. which is nice of them isnt it? i dont know how good this software is, as i use cubase. the recording software does not come with the pod.

however, there is some software that does come with the pod. this is line6 edit and line6 monkey. they basically let you keep your pod up to date with the latest version of software on it and also let you edit all the settings on your pod from the PC, and save onto the pod. you can also use the internet through a line6 program inside line6 edit to download tones and settings other people have uploaded, there are loads out there.

to sum it up, the pod xt effectively replaces your soundcard when used through usb. it may or may not come with a usb cable, but theyre hardly expensive and you'll probably find you have one spare anyway from a printer or something.

hope that clears up anything that might have been left a little hazy (i know that i was confused the first time i started looking at interfaces similar to these)

Cheers so much mate :D

Cleared up everything I wanted to know, plus more. Shall be getting one tommorow.

Well chuffed with the help like :D

well, its directed at people who have the money but make stupid decisions like buying overpriced vintage gear.

How is that stupid?

in many cases, vintage amps can be better than new ones...I just prefer the vintage ones, because of reliability, tone, build quality, etc..

Still, there are LOTS of great new amps.

Ok then, should I get a multi-effects unit or single effects and why? People have been telling me different things. I tried out a boss gt8 and the zoom equivalent yesterday and got confused, but maybe that's just because I don't know how to use them. I guess if I got used to them it would be alright, if multi effects then what would people recomend?(not looking at paying too much more than 250 quid really.)

If single effects then I'm looking for a delay, a wah and a distortion. I've tried a few out but I know from experience that something can sound great in the shop, and even when you get it home for a while, but then you grow to hate it after a while. I want something that will last me for years.

Ok then, should I get a multi-effects unit or single effects and why? People have been telling me different things. I tried out a boss gt8 and the zoom equivalent yesterday and got confused, but maybe that's just because I don't know how to use them. I guess if I got used to them it would be alright, if multi effects then what would people recomend?(not looking at paying too much more than 250 quid really.)

If single effects then I'm looking for a delay, a wah and a distortion. I've tried a few out but I know from experience that something can sound great in the shop, and even when you get it home for a while, but then you grow to hate it after a while. I want something that will last me for years.

right....

for mutli-effects:

gives you loads of effects to play with, relatively cheap (compared to buying each individual effect) and doesn't take up as much room as a pedal board with loads of individual effects, great way to learn about effects and what they do, where they can be used

against multi-effects:

bit "jack-of-all-trades", can be limiting as they usually order the effects for you, can be awkward to use as you said, don't get as much 'on-the-fly' adjustability, got to go through menus and stuff, new multi-effects with amp modelling can have problems with amps, so therefore requiring a way to bypass the pre-amp on the amp to get the best sound out of them. patches.

for individual pedals:

allows you to be specific with how the effect sounds, generally better quality sound, alot simplier to use, lots of flexibility, there's no fixed orders or ways to use them, don't usually need to set them up stupidly to get the best sound of them.

if you have a gig where you only need one or two effects, you can just take those, taking up less room, rather than a huge unit with lots of knobs and switches.

allows you to be a pretentious cunt

against individual pedals:

comparitively expensive, if you want loads of different effects they can take up a shit load of room and they become slightly addictive :$

everyone thinks you are a pretenious cunt.

ok well IMHO, all beginners to gear (even if you're fantastic at actually playing the guitar) should try a cheapish muti effects unit just for the variety of sounds. Who cares if they arn't the best vintage tones, cos as a n00b, you won't knwo the difference really anyway :)

Once you get bored/realise that the multi FX thing is actually crap (most people will do after trying some analog single units.) then you can go onto stompboxes. Best thing is to try them all out in a shop, but failing that its bst to get a solid distortion/fuzz/overdrive base of stuff sorted - then I'd suggest a delay, wah, chorus etc. and modulation. Lastly you can look at EQ pedals, compressors n stuff that you can finalize your sound with. Personally I don't feel the need to use a comp or EQ in my current rig, as it all sounds nic and dandy as it is :D

:LOL: yer, I think I'll probably go for single effects. I like the idea of multi effects but what I really want is quality and simplicity. I want to know what I'm doing on stage without confusing myself choosing the wrong effect in the middle of a song etc. So what pedals then, mainly for delay, wah and distortion but I want to try some things I wouldn't usually think of so any recomendations would be great.

:LOL: yer, I think I'll probably go for single effects. I like the idea of multi effects but what I really want is quality and simplicity. I want to know what I'm doing on stage without confusing myself choosing the wrong effect in the middle of a song etc. So what pedals then, mainly for delay, wah and distortion but I want to try some things I wouldn't usually think of so any recomendations would be great.

This is why you should get a cheapish multi :p... At least then you'll know what you're aiming for!

well distortion falls into roughly 3 sections: Overdrive (bluesy type in-your-face guitar but with all the definition of playing clean...kinda crunchy), Distortion (more gritty-can't always make out every note...tends to be quite saturated and full: makes your guitar sound BIG) and fuzz-listen to PIB or any hendrix :p

Both the guitarist and the bassist in my band have a fuzz face and, although I like the tone, I'm deflinitely looking for a distortion rather than a fuzz/overdrive. Bit of background on me though (might help you give me advice,) I've been playing guitar for just over 2 years but have only just got a job, so have just started to be able to afford effects. My band is indie/rock. I play a strat through a Marshall AVT 50.

Both the guitarist and the bassist in my band have a fuzz face and, although I like the tone, I'm deflinitely looking for a distortion rather than a fuzz/overdrive. Bit of background on me though (might help you give me advice,) I've been playing guitar for just over 2 years but have only just got a job, so have just started to be able to afford effects. My band is indie/rock. I play a strat through a Marshall AVT 50.

if you're after distortion, you may find upgrading the amp might do a better job than a pedal. i'm sure someone on here will recommend a proco rat, but to get a distortion sound i'm happy with, i've had to modify mine and boost it with an overdrive pedal.

do you know what kind of sound you're after? modern marshall crunch, mesa saturation, orange fatness......

Archived