well, have you heard every single song written before? ladies and gentlemen of the jury and the courtroom. I rest my case.

Judge: Case Dismissed (Bangs Hammer)

(Background noise) Chatter in crowd and between lawyer and his/her client regarding the win.

"Hey thanks a lot for your help" client says.

"Hey kid, no problem, i was just doing my job" said the clients lawyer as he threw his client his sweat towel. "Catch around sometime".

:LOL::LOL:

Muse are as much a pop band as rock band, particularly if you take 'pop' to be 'popular'.

I still don't get why everyone is up in arms when Muse are seemingly 'put-down' by a label like popular, or pop... it just smacks of obsession and fanaticism that's not particularly endearing :erm:.

Hmm 'pop music' has taken on its own sound these days - not anything like Muse at all. And don't be silly :rolleyes:

Hmm 'pop music' has taken on its own sound these days - not anything like Muse at all. And don't be silly :rolleyes:

:facepalm:

Seriously, stop spouting bollocks.Muse are a pop band, they do 3/4 minute songs with verses and chorus' more often than not.

In regards to the pop thing, Muse certainly have pop songs (Plug In Baby, Bliss, TIRO, SMBH, Starlight), and theres a pop sensibility that permeates through all their work, because they always find a way to condense their ideas into the shortest space possible, with not a moment wasted. In the end, though, it depends on your definition of pop. I think of it as melodically and rhythmically driven songs that deliver an emotion or message in a relatively succinct way.

A quote from MuseWiki.

Matt Bellamy has stated that Bliss is his favorite song "because it's got all these 80s arpeggios and keyboards on it which remind me of some music I heard on some children’s music programme when I was five. I think I ripped it off that. And that reminds me of when I was a bit simpler, a bit more of a pleasant state."[1] The "children's music programme" is actually the first Top Gear game for the SNES.

there is only 2 types of music (talking western(ly)..... not really considering world music.

Pop and Classical.

- Muse are pop.

the chord sequence isnt the same, but i can understand that matt probably did borrow it. and the fact of the matter IS. - all of the greatest composers, borrow other peoples stuff. its happened forever.

:facepalm:

Seriously, stop spouting bollocks.Muse are a pop band, they do 3/4 minute songs with verses and chorus' more often than not.

So you're telling me that the Pussycat Dolls' market would go for Micro Cuts, or most of Muse's work? :p Just because they adhere to usual song constraints means their sound is for the majority of Britney Spears listeners? I know everyone hates the term "mainstream" here, but I would not say they're on a par with Snow Patrol in terms of majority popularity/sound. They've definitely got major success in mind with BHaR, but generally it's not for the the The Box crowd.

Muse have reached the UK Top 40 with singles from every one of their albums, SMBH reaching 5 and TIRO reaching 10. That's pretty pop to me.

Yes, they are successful - which is a good thing, recognition of brilliance lol. However, I still maintain that their sound, generally is not geared towards that market.

Yes, they are successful - which is a good thing, recognition of brilliance lol. However, I still maintain that their sound, generally is not geared towards that market.

Why do you care about Muse being called a pop band? Pop means popular which Muse are and it is not neccesarily a bad thing.

So you're telling me that the Pussycat Dolls' market would go for Micro Cuts, or most of Muse's work? :p Just because they adhere to usual song constraints means their sound is for the majority of Britney Spears listeners? I know everyone hates the term "mainstream" here, but I would not say they're on a par with Snow Patrol in terms of majority popularity/sound. They've definitely got major success in mind with BHaR, but generally it's not for the the The Box crowd.

Muse get played on the Box, so there clearly is a market there for them. The people that listen to stuff like this

or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E&feature=related are hardly going to go for Muse either.

It reeks of snobbishness more than anything in all honesty :LOL:.

The kind of people who catch 30 seconds of Starlight or Supermassive Black Hole on telly inbetween their enjoyment of the Pussycat Dolls and Black-Eyed Peas aren't worthy of our Muse so get them off, now!

I've only been on this board since Christmas and this debate has come up about 5 times. :LOL:

You'll get used to it in time. People are just gonna have to accept that Muse are now in the mainstream market and they will attract people who have taste in popular music. Just look at their setlists. People need to stop grabbing onto things so much and let go a bit. I still don't know why I'm back in Main Muse

Why do you care about Muse being called a pop band? Pop means popular which Muse are and it is not neccesarily a bad thing.

I never said it wasn't. It's just most people equate "pop music" (as in a genre, not in the popular context) with sounding like Boyzone, The Feeling etc. and I don't think they sound like that for the most part. It's just an opinion, I'm not against them getting popular, in fact I spread the word.

Archived