Matt Bellamy Featured In Q Magazine's: The 100 Greatest Frontmen

watsername182

Liam G = Stands there in the dark with sun glasses on staring at the sky, poor posture, arms behind his back (or tapping the tamborine occasionally) singing his samey sounding songs.

Chris M = runs around the stage, going to different parts of the audience, getting everyone involved, playing piano, guitar, jumping around and making the audience feel warm and loved. DOESNT sing off key. All around great performer.

Matt B = Runs around the stage, sings immaculately, plays guitar, piano, keytar, makes the audience want to play these instuments because he makes it look so fun and easy, get the audience involved with out hardly saying 2 words, very friendly even when laughing during PIB at an audience member then encouraging people to help him up! All aroung great performer.

Hmmmm who would I pick? NOT Liam. Hes a cocky sonovabitch! I actually laughed when he got pushed down at that concert last year on Canada.

I believe that Freddie Mercury is a great front man as is the lead singer of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Its all about opinion. I'm shocked Matt got 6th. I would have thought he would be higher. He will be in about 10 years time! Some of the oldies, like Steven Tyler of Aerosmith, Mick Jagger et el. Think about it people. Seriously.

when these people put the others ahead of matt bellz i am wondering do they like play pin the donkey with a blindfold on who ever is stuck to the donkeys ass is the winner....

If thats the case then liam couldnt be in a more fitting place on a donkey..

Liam's got the voice(probably lost it at some point..but I'd like to think he had it back),the charisma,the attitude,the swagger...that is rock 'n' roll:yesey:(at least to me).He's by far a better singer than Chris Martin..but then if you're a fan of him this wouldn't make sense.:p

Charisma? attitude?... are we talking about the same person? :p

I would say Dave Gahan is an amazing frontman, he can dance all over the stage, interact with the audice, sing and being hot at the same time :LOL:

Chris Martin? Oh dear.

What's wrong with Chris Martin? He's an excellent frontman.

He interacts with the crowd, he sings well and plays his instruments well.

I'm not a fan of Oasis but from what I've seen, Liam Gallagher is quite boring.

I don't even have to be biased when I say Billie Joe Armstrong should be in the Top 10!

I've never seen a frontman interact with the crowd so much! The one time NME has something nice to say about Green Day, they actually got it right:

Impressively, it doesn’t matter how orchestrated all this is because the band make everyone feel not just included but important.

As for Matt, he barely interacts with the crowd in the sense that he lets the music speak which is fine with me.

:happy:

Chris Martin? Oh dear.

Really? He's a great performer! Gets the whole damned audience involved! Went to their show last year--i was high up in the seats (i blame ticketmaster's website of failure) and was standing the whole time, clapping, dancing, screaming, singing along, what have you. One of the best concerts i've been to! He's also entertaining to watch and he sounds great live. :D

Really? He's a great performer! Gets the whole damned audience involved! Went to their show last year--i was high up in the seats (i blame ticketmaster's website of failure) and was standing the whole time, clapping, dancing, screaming, singing along, what have you. One of the best concerts i've been to! He's also entertaining to watch and he sounds great live. :D

+1 :happy:

I saw Coldplay at Sound Relief where they opened the Sydney benefit concert and could only play 6 songs since they had to play a show that night. The ticket I had were terrible and I could barely see the band but it still had heaps of fun.

Chris Martin really did the crazy thing of jumping off the stage and into the crowd and running across the cricket ground to the back near where I was. Now that's what I can a great frontman. :D

When you look at someone like Liam Gallagher or Bono you get the feeling, These people were born to it. There are natural rock stars, Liam Gallagher just has to get up in the morning and he’s a rock star in his pyjamas. Whatever he does within his day is somewhat infused with that quality, which is amazing and to be honest I don’t feel like one of them I don’t live it I don’t think i could believe in myself if i swaggered around doing what rock stars do i think i am too questioning to have that unbridled sense

I always wanted to make something happen with music and I always wanted to write songs. But the frontman thing was an accident. When we were in our first band Gothic Plague the other members were happy to do covers the idea that we wrte our own songs didn’t go down too well. But had to put my money where my mouth was and become the singer. I really didn’t want to we just couldn’t find anyone else to be in our band. And to be honest that sense of being a reluctant frontman has stayed with me.

Anyone who comes to see Muse is not going to see Matt Bellamy the swaggering rock god you’re coming to hopefully see one of the best live shows around and hear some good music, we have put a lot of time and effort and not to mention lights and balloons into proving a few distractions from the fact that there isn’t a Freddie Mercury in front of you. You don’t get that many t shirts with Matt Bellamy on the front by himself and that’s absolutely fine with me. Also you don’t hear many Muse songs which are about me. Bono and Liam Gallagher have a way of filtering their personas through song which is interesting. They can write quite personally I find that difficult or should i say i don’t think it would be very interesting. I am interested in political issues and science and stuff and i find a way of writing stories about that in song Why should i give away anything personal? Who’s interested? But for example Stockholm Syndrome the psychological phenomenon which leads captives to fall in love with their captors is interesting. I find it much easier to immerse myself in a subject like that and write from the point of view of a persona in a fictitious scenario. That feels more real to me in some strange sort of way.

Being a frontman in the modern age isn’t about being charismatic onstage anymore, you have to pull it off world stage with presidents and prime ministers I’ve held off backing a cause like Bono or Chris Martin they do a great job but I’m not naturally good with attention and id look like an idiot being a spokes man, I really do feel, how on earth do they do it? I do admire it, I don’t have that sort of confidence i don’t beat myself up about that i believe its quite normal to think why the fuck is everyone looking at me? Human insecurity is natural you might even say its an admirable quality because it keeps one questioning and investigating. Obviously its not so great when you are walking out onstage in front of 70,000 people at Wembly stadium that’s when you have to summon up any pretension to being a rock god that you possibly can and let the music do the rest.

When you look at someone like Liam Gallagher or Bono you get the feeling, These people were born to it. There are natural rock stars, Liam Gallagher just has to get up in the morning and he’s a rock star in his pyjamas. Whatever he does within his day is somewhat infused with that quality, which is amazing and to be honest I don’t feel like one of them I don’t live it I don’t think i could believe in myself if i swaggered around doing what rock stars do i think i am too questioning to have that unbridled sense

I always wanted to make something happen with music and I always wanted to write songs. But the frontman thing was an accident. When we were in our first band Gothic Plague the other members were happy to do covers the idea that we wrte our own songs didn’t go down too well. But had to put my money where my mouth was and become the singer. I really didn’t want to we just couldn’t find anyone else to be in our band. And to be honest that sense of being a reluctant frontman has stayed with me.

Anyone who comes to see Muse is not going to see Matt Bellamy the swaggering rock god you’re coming to hopefully see one of the best live shows around and hear some good music, we have put a lot of time and effort and not to mention lights and balloons into proving a few distractions from the fact that there isn’t a Freddie Mercury in front of you. You don’t get that many t shirts with Matt Bellamy on the front by himself and that’s absolutely fine with me. Also you don’t hear many Muse songs which are about me. Bono and Liam Gallagher have a way of filtering their personas through song which is interesting. They can write quite personally I find that difficult or should i say i don’t think it would be very interesting. I am interested in political issues and science and stuff and i find a way of writing stories about that in song Why should i give away anything personal? Who’s interested? But for example Stockholm Syndrome the psychological phenomenon which leads captives to fall in love with their captors is interesting. I find it much easier to immerse myself in a subject like that and write from the point of view of a persona in a fictitious scenario. That feels more real to me in some strange sort of way.

Being a frontman in the modern age isn’t about being charismatic onstage anymore, you have to pull it off world stage with presidents and prime ministers I’ve held off backing a cause like Bono or Chris Martin they do a great job but I’m not naturally good with attention and id look like an idiot being a spokes man, I really do feel, how on earth do they do it? I do admire it, I don’t have that sort of confidence i don’t beat myself up about that i believe its quite normal to think why the fuck is everyone looking at me? Human insecurity is natural you might even say its an admirable quality because it keeps one questioning and investigating. Obviously its not so great when you are walking out onstage in front of 70,000 people at Wembly stadium that’s when you have to summon up any pretension to being a rock god that you possibly can and let the music do the rest.

I. Am. Speechless :stunned:

The modesty of this man is otherworldly!

That's what I like about him, his modesty. I hate the whole Liam Gallagher swagger.

Awww. Nice that they got Matt to write for it. Or speak about it at length anyway, not sure. His persona is in the music though and he is too modest! Who cares about swagger anyway when you have personality! :)

oh jesus, really? :eek: i thought i'd die without Liam's charisma and beauty.

Bellamy is scary when he tries to pronounce Brzezinski. :LOL:

I don't think I can possibly love the man any more than I do after this. :stunned:

Archived