I've never understood why everyone loves the Reading performance from 2006 so much. Almost every performance of it between 1999 and 2002 beats it big time.

Because it was actually played live for once. A bit of a shock to see it at Reading.

Because it was actually played live for once. A bit of a shock to see it at Reading.

Yes, but that doesn't explain all the "This will make you love it" and "This will change your opinion about it". It really doesn't come close to for example MCM 2000 or Le Zenith 2001.

Yes, but that doesn't explain all the "This will make you love it" and "This will change your opinion about it". It really doesn't come close to for example MCM 2000 or Le Zenith 2001.

I don't know. It's one of the most recent performances of it I guess in the era of youtube vids from a major festival so more people have seen it than say the MCM version.

I don't know. It's one of the most recent performances of it I guess in the era of youtube vids from a major festival so more people have seen it than say the MCM version.

But now I'm talking about the Muse fans here on this forum. I get that most people haven't seen the old videos. But when someone on this forum says that "This will change your opinion about Shiwbiz" I am assuming that they must have seen more than one performance of it at least.

So there, we're back on the point, WHY do they prefer Reading? I can't see a single thing that would make it better. The climax is less epic, the voice has less emotion and....well, yeah...

But now I'm talking about the Muse fans here on this forum. I get that most people haven't seen the old videos. But when someone on this forum says that "This will change your opinion about Shiwbiz" I am assuming that they must have seen more than one performance of it at least.

So there, we're back on the point, WHY do they prefer Reading? I can't see a single thing that would make it better. The climax is less epic, the voice has less emotion and....well, yeah...

I'm going to make a big generalisation here and think they might be newer fans and so the video of Reading 2006 was the first one they saw? It might have some sort of emotional investment. I don't know. Showbiz in any form is fine by me. I've seen it live with my own eyes so nothing can compare to actually being there in person.

I'm going to make a big generalisation here and think they might be newer fans and so the video of Reading 2006 was the first one they saw? It might have some sort of emotional investment. I don't know. Showbiz in any form is fine by me. I've seen it live with my own eyes so nothing can compare to actually being there in person.

Pretty pointless argument I would say :p . Showbiz is a great song, one of their best, and seeing it live would be beyond awesome.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHOOOOOOOOOWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHooooooooo-agh

Now, in all the votes, and polls on the forum, Showbiz (the song) is hailed as one of Muse's greatest songs. However, in my opinion, it's one of there worst, alongside Sober. I'm gunna get pelters for this, but I just can't see why everyone likes it.......

Sober is one of my top favorite songs ever. :(

What is interesting is how it progresses and builds despite it just being the same 5 chords over and over and no variation in the lead guitar or vocal melodies at all really.

A bit reminiscent of late 60's - 70's German bands, which makes the song awesome by default.

This. And the sheer emotional impact. BAM! IN THE FACE. No mercy.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHOOOOOOOOOWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHooooooooo-agh

:LOL: And this.

Not much more needs to be said by me.

people like it cos its off the 1st album. It is ok, especially live with ashamed outro but its nothing amazing and still is there most repetitive song to date with only one riff which is repeated constantly on the guitar and for vocals

people like it cos its off the 1st album. It is ok, especially live with ashamed outro but its nothing amazing and still is there most repetitive song to date with only one riff which is repeated constantly on the guitar and for vocals

Something doesn't have to be complicated to be good.

I personally don't think Showbiz at Reading comes close to Zenith 01 or Eurockeennes 00... there have been tons better performances, but I think it's so loved because it's their most recent performance and was such a random one to choose to play at a big festival.

I was certain they'd bust it out for Wembley the year after, but they didn't :(. But they made up for it with Micro Cuts :awesome:

I've seen several versions of Showbiz and I still think Reading is the best. Comparing Reading to MCM per example, I find the vocals way more solid and the guitar way more powerful in 2006. Yes, some of the 'raw' feeling in the early versions got lost in the process, but in 2006 it just sounds more mature but still has the anger that the song asks for.

But that's just my opinion.

Archived