Fade into a harmonic.

Plex

don't you worry, you're solving a lot of the issues with the sustainer. How much are these costing you to make? It could be a good business venture.

The raw parts aren't that expensive - but being handmade (I have to make almost everything - eg the bobbins to wind the wire onto, the bobbin pcb, the main pcb... etc), so they take me a long time to make per sustainer ...as an hourly rate, I could make more money flipping burgers!

I don't know how much you've considered this, and how many different parts go into the design so i'll shut up about it now, but if you were able to either bring the costs down by getting parts manufactured, or if you could sell the design to a music company it'd be quite a money spinner.

If you can't be bothered or are just not interested, then I think we would all appreciate a "build diary" IE a thread where you explain how it's made with pics.

I don't know how much you've considered this, and how many different parts go into the design so i'll shut up about it now, but if you were able to either bring the costs down by getting parts manufactured, or if you could sell the design to a music company it'd be quite a money spinner.

If you can't be bothered or are just not interested, then I think we would all appreciate a "build diary" IE a thread where you explain how it's made with pics.

Obviously, to have got this far...I've considered it (it wasn't my initial reason for starting out, but things have devloped to the point where perhaps it's viable).

This Variax sustainer variant I'm making is particularly good (presently trying to cram the electronics into a small enclosure I've just ordered), so I'll probably eventually see if there's any interest from other Variax owners & take it from there.

But, in the meantime I have a decent dayjob - so I'll not be giving that up just yet ;-)

re a build diary, while I want to keep the circuit close to my chest for now, I did give a short build progress wrt the steps I went through towards getting the blue LED version onto my Ibanez...

http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=78114

:awesome:

he didn't even have to post a wood floor and he's got tom aroused.

Making sustainers doesn't look too hard. i'm going to have a go later on, except, have 2 parallel drivers running at a slightly lower power.

Re two coils in parallel, been there, done that...

e669zb.jpg

(the dual coil purple thingymajig in the middle - again, just a test runout hence a bit rough! Same guitar as used in the LED video - note the cutout wood at the end of the neck where the LED sustainer was!)

Yeah, the CNC was a challenge (especially out of scrap!), but I'm pleased I made the journey - every man should have one - it's a birthright!

when you did the two coils in parallel, what way is your wiring for the coils? I assumed it would be like this:

Bridge Output > Ruby Input

Ruby Output > Coil 1 Red

Coil 1 Red > Ruby Output

Coil 1 White > Coil 2 Red

Coil 2 Red > Coil 1 White

Coil 2 Black > Ground / Ruby output - (Not sure on this one)

If that's all ok, then i'll wire it up now.

when you did the two coils in parallel, what way is your wiring for the coils? I assumed it would be like this:

Bridge Output > Ruby Input

Ruby Output > Coil 1 Red

Coil 1 Red > Ruby Output

Coil 1 White > Coil 2 Red

Coil 2 Red > Coil 1 White

Coil 2 Black > Ground / Ruby output - (Not sure on this one)

If that's all ok, then i'll wire it up now.

I'm not familiar with the ruby you mention (I designed my own output stage), but from what you decribe you're connecting two coils up in parallel to it - so long as your end result (DC resistance wise) is within your amp's spec, then that ought to be ok, How it actually performs in practise very much depends on the characteristics of your coils (number of turns, magnets used, wire gauge, even the type of steel in yoiur driver) in conjunctioin with the spec of your amp.

the ruby is the little 1/2W outputting amp on runoffgrove.com . I was going to make my own stage with a TL071 or possibly a TL082 and have two lower powered buffers. Amp aside, is my wiring of the coil right? end of one goes to the start of the next??

I was rushing when I made my last post, but I now realise you're going to connect your coils in series.

Obviously when it comes to two coils, there are two ways you can connect - parallel or series ....either should work , but how well they work depends on the spec of the two driver coils you are using together (eg their combined inductance & resistance) along with the spec of the amp you're connecting them up to.

So bluntly, I can't say if your intended way is correct - there are still too many variables. Best just to give it a go & take it from there - the least perilous way is to connect them in series first & if that ain't too good try parallel!

Last night, I was going put together a rough n' ready video of me playing Matt Bellamy's supermassive intro ....but my soundcard was playing up :-( (wrt the OP's question - it is a sustainer MB is using in that intro - & he's using it in in 'mix' harmonic mode...sure, this same sound can be achieved with raw acoustic amp feedback, but it becomes a little more hit miss that way)

Once I sort that out, I'll post a short clip of some unfeasibly bad playing of supermassive(!), plus a quick illustration of some of the wild harmonics I'm getting.

Archived