Alysum

To be honest, I think that Mansons are just cashing in on their Muse association and ripping people off. There is no way it costs £200 to install the FF - anyone with the right bench-tools could do it in a few hours.

I would buy a FF first, see what you can do with it, then go to a local guitar shop and ask them to instal it if you cant. There is nothing tricky about the wireing - it's just in line between the pickups and jack socket.

I've had my FF a week now, and generally speaking I only use settings that don't squeal. However, it occured to me this morning while watching Plug-In Baby on the MTV2 concert that Matt's FF must be feedbacking throughout the song. If it wasn't, how else would he be able to make those crazy pitch-bending noises at the end of the chorus ? I think he only has 2 knobs on his Manson guitars to control the FF, so its unlikely that he would quickly find a feedbacking setting just that those few seconds.

I suppose having the FF feedbacking all the time is not a problem providing you're always playing something while it is switched on, but what are everyone elses' thoughts ?

Tune the squeal to an A and play citizen erased, then you can get cool loud `A` beeps when you play the verse and pre-chorus stuff, I think i`ve heard Matt do it a few times live. It`s fun. ...just wierd having to be careful or you`ll squeal all the time.

I`m well aware my explanation is less than adequate, some people might know what I mean! :LOL:

To be honest, I think that Mansons are just cashing in on their Muse association and ripping people off. There is no way it costs £200 to install the FF - anyone with the right bench-tools could do it in a few hours.

I would buy a FF first, see what you can do with it, then go to a local guitar shop and ask them to instal it if you cant. There is nothing tricky about the wireing - it's just in line between the pickups and jack socket.

I also thought that. But Mansons (of course) told me that it wasn't a simply operation and that the internal FF kit came without an instruction sheet or any explanation of the wiring at all.

And yes the internal FF only has 2 controller knobs instead of all 5. Which ones I don't know. Maybe they mixed them or something?

I also though that it just would be to "plug" the FF in between the jack-input on my guitar and then the "rest" of the guitar. But after Mansons mail, I'm not really sure anymore. That's why I'm asking for a little help...

I can't find any pictures of the wiring or of the internal FF kit. Anyone has those?

I also thought that. But Mansons (of course) told me that it wasn't a simply operation and that the internal FF kit came without an instruction sheet or any explanation of the wiring at all.

And yes the internal FF only has 2 controller knobs instead of all 5. Which ones I don't know. Maybe they mixed them or something?

I also though that it just would be to "plug" the FF in between the jack-input on my guitar and then the "rest" of the guitar. But after Mansons mail, I'm not really sure anymore. That's why I'm asking for a little help...

I can't find any pictures of the wiring or of the internal FF kit. Anyone has those?

The other control knobs (pots/potentiometers) are little tiny ones called presets that would be inside the guitar - they are adjustable, but only with a little plastic screwdriver thingy.

Did they say whether the internal kit was literaly a kit or whether it is already soldered together by Z Vex? If it is pre-assembled, then you don't need instructions - it will be clear to anyone with electronics experience what does what.

Basicaly as I said before, they are taking advantage of everyone and it sounds like they will do anything to stop you going elsewhere.

Tune the squeal to an A and play citizen erased, then you can get cool loud `A` beeps when you play the verse and pre-chorus stuff, I think i`ve heard Matt do it a few times live. It`s fun. ...just wierd having to be careful or you`ll squeal all the time.

I`m well aware my explanation is less than adequate, some people might know what I mean! :LOL:

I do that sometimes, you can also try tuning the feedback to D for Hyper Music, D for Cave, F# for Showbiz and Muscle Museum etc

I really do need to get out more

sorry to bring up another problem, but im just not sure about which one to get, FF or FP, but i was wondering... if i bought a FF, could i still do the different feedbacky sounds like in the beginning of plug-in baby? or is that only possible with the probe/fiddling with the knobs while playing? how does the volume on my guitar actually affect the sound/feedback?

thanks, just trying to decide whether its really worth it to buy the FP over the FF...

To have the most control over the feedback you also need to be able to control the Comp and Drive knobs.. The volume of the guitar does have effect on the feedback as well, but in my experience it only affects it in the max output and minimum output area's of you guitars volume. (at least on my tele)

I think you either have to built one in or have it very nearby (I got it hanging on my strap... with rubber bands..) I don't think only controlling the stab (probe) will be sufficient.. so I'd say get the FF.. but I'm sure some will disagree..

Cu,.

The other control knobs (pots/potentiometers) are little tiny ones called presets that would be inside the guitar - they are adjustable, but only with a little plastic screwdriver thingy.

Did they say whether the internal kit was literaly a kit or whether it is already soldered together by Z Vex? If it is pre-assembled, then you don't need instructions - it will be clear to anyone with electronics experience what does what.

Basicaly as I said before, they are taking advantage of everyone and it sounds like they will do anything to stop you going elsewhere.

No they didn't say if it was a 100% do it yourself kit or what it was. I've just asked them again, and I hopefully I'll get a reply soon. If it's a complete do-it-yourself kit, then maybe it's more easy to buy the "standard" FF and then take it apart yourself?

I didn't really get what you said about the control knobs (just got out of bed ;-) ). There are 2 on the internal kit. Those go outside the guitar (once you can adjust all the time freely), right? And then you can adjust the last 3 with a screwdriver inside the guitar? Did I get it right?

No they didn't say if it was a 100% do it yourself kit or what it was. I've just asked them again, and I hopefully I'll get a reply soon. If it's a complete do-it-yourself kit, then maybe it's more easy to buy the "standard" FF and then take it apart yourself?

I didn't really get what you said about the control knobs (just got out of bed ;-) ). There are 2 on the internal kit. Those go outside the guitar (once you can adjust all the time freely), right? And then you can adjust the last 3 with a screwdriver inside the guitar? Did I get it right?

Yeah if it's a do-it-yourself kit (with no instructions) it would be a lot easier and probably cheaper in the end to buy the standard version.

Yeah the two outside are freely adjustable, the three inside look like this:

muse_guitar_1_back_in.JPG

On the circuit board on the left the black blob with white dots is a row of pre-sets. There is a slot in the white bit so they can be adjusted with a screwdriver.

Hope this helps :cool:

Yeah if it's a do-it-yourself kit (with no instructions) it would be a lot easier and probably cheaper in the end to buy the standard version.

Yeah the two outside are freely adjustable, the three inside look like this:

muse_guitar_1_back_in.JPG

On the circuit board on the left the black blob with white dots is a row of pre-sets. There is a slot in the white bit so they can be adjusted with a screwdriver.

Hope this helps :cool:

Thanks! That looks a little crowded in there :) But ok, Matt's guitar is also filled with other fun stuff :cool:

I'll wait and see what mansons writes to me and I'll let you know.

but they only sound "shite" relative to other expensive custom made guitars...they still sound better than any mass produced non-custom one

thats why i love the bomber manson so, it doesn't have all the effects in so its a purer guitar, with out big chunks missing! it does sound great! even if he can't change the tuning because of the trem!

but they only sound "shite" relative to other expensive custom made guitars...they still sound better than any mass produced non-custom one

I think it was Hugh Manson that said the laser manson sounded crap as the mirror plastic stopped the wood resonating. I'm also pretty sure that a reasonable quality 'normal' guitar is going to have better sustain than one with most of the wood missing - it's common sense.

However, neither of us has played any of Matt's guitars so it's all a bit speculative :cool:

You are right though, the Bomber Manson is probably a very nice sounding beast:)

is the form of the guitar body important for the sound?

I thought it would be the coils/humbucker which are important for the sound :confused:

As far as guitar bodies go, the important factors are Tone, Comfort and Style I suppose.

Wood and shape are all important. The flying V wasnt made just to pose with, it was made to create a better/different sound. Eddie Van halen stopped using his destroyer after he lopped a chunk out becasue it killed the tone. :(

Hugh Manson said Matts are Semi-Hollow by default becasue of all the routing, so you shouldnt compare them to solid bodies really.

to summarise the locked thread on fuzz probes (since some of it may be useful info)

Yellow Sphere said:

Is it worth it?

Quite simply, is 240 pounds a good price to pay for the fuzz probe? bearing in mind I'll have to fob the money (or get a paying money back deal) off my parents...

kuz said:

theres a guy on the harmony-central effects forum called Kid_A selling one for £200, try asking him :p

Krasnojarsk said:

OK people, I think it's time you learned that you have to buy from http://www.haarguitars.nl

315 euros is roughly 210-15 quid...I got it from there, friendly people and all...greatly recommended!

Archived