Alysum

Hi, do u guys think it would be better to buy the ff or the fp?

Id like to create the sounds matt b creates, but to do this the stab control would have to be easy accessed. I carnt afford to put the ff into my guitar so would it be easy enough to attach it to the guitar body work with gaffa tape, or onto my guitar strap? has any1 else done this. Or would it be a better idea to have the fp which users the copper plate to alter the stab? I guess the probe would look better than having gaffa tape on your guitar with a pedal strapped to it. Im not sure.......what are your thoughts on this?

thnx 4 any replys :)

Hi, do u guys think it would be better to buy the ff or the fp?

Id like to create the sounds matt b creates, but to do this the stab control would have to be easy accessed. I carnt afford to put the ff into my guitar so would it be easy enough to attach it to the guitar body work with gaffa tape, or onto my guitar strap? has any1 else done this. Or would it be a better idea to have the fp which users the copper plate to alter the stab? I guess the probe would look better than having gaffa tape on your guitar with a pedal strapped to it. Im not sure.......what are your thoughts on this?

thnx 4 any replys :)

To create Matt B's sounds, don't buy an FF, save for a Marshall DSL-100 amp, you'll get the Muse sound from that, not a FF, you'll only get the Eternally Missed solo, The Groove intro and Blackout from buying an FF.

The rest can all be done with the DSL.

And Matt doesn't use his FF much live either, just PIB and New Born these days I think. So you won't gain much there.

Basically as Hypermusician said: The FF is useless for playing Muse, plus its way too transparent (Your guitars natural tone still comes through, just fuzzy as fuck), so you only sound like a fuzzed up version of yourself, not Matt B.

Sorry just after using a DSL-100, I discovered pactically every Muse tone is available from that amp and people paying stupid amounts of money for a FF to sound like Matt B is just stupid and I strongly recommend you don't buy one for that reason.

Im not really bothered about having the exact eqipment as matt b to sound exactly like him. I mean that dsl 100 is a bit expensive for me, at the moment im trying to get a marshall mg250dfx which is in my price limit. I just want to get ff or fp to add something cool to my playing style.

Now do you guys think its better to get the ff or the fp, coz once i have got my new amp im thinking of getting one of these. do you think its a better idea to have a ff strapped to your guitar or strap so you can control the stab, or would it just be easier to get a probe so change the stab with your foot. keeping in consideration that Id only really use the stab before a song starts or ends or a quick messing about thing within a song. Any ideas which is the better option?

:D

Im not really bothered about having the exact eqipment as matt b to sound exactly like him. I mean that dsl 100 is a bit expensive for me, at the moment im trying to get a marshall mg250dfx which is in my price limit. I just want to get ff or fp to add something cool to my playing style.

Now do you guys think its better to get the ff or the fp, coz once i have got my new amp im thinking of getting one of these. do you think its a better idea to have a ff strapped to your guitar or strap so you can control the stab, or would it just be easier to get a probe so change the stab with your foot. keeping in consideration that Id only really use the stab before a song starts or ends or a quick messing about thing within a song. Any ideas which is the better option?

If you weren't bothered about sounding like Matt Bellamy, you wouldn't be here asking about the FF. If you only intend to use it for its oscillation, don't bother buying it, its easy to do that sound without one.

ok, when i play plug in baby, my guitar allways sounds somewhat lower than matts on the intro, i am playing it in the right place, i have tried tuning it numerous times before playing it....was just wondering if it might have something to do with using the ff?? Or could it be because he uses lighter strings???

The fact that its a very trebly sound that I now believe is not an FF, just his DSL100, which basically did every single bit of distortion OOS.

can u just tell me about the ff and fp pedal and which one would be better if I was to buy 1, instead of goin through all this mumbo jumbo about wanting to sound like matt b or not.....ok.

Well since I own a Fuzz Probe, I'll be biased on this.

But don't go buying one until you try it out, you'll only be disappointed, people on here hype it up too much. And using it for one trick is a complete waste of £300 in my opinion.

I had this idea of getting the normal ff, and making a clip on thingy to attach onto my belt or guitar strap, this would allow me to switch the pedal on and off by hand and change the settings while moving around if needed. This idea wouldnt be as expensive as building into one of my guitars, plus then i could find which guitar the pedal works best with and mix and match with equipment which work with it.

I bin on the zvex web page as well and looked at the videos on how to use each of them, think this is pedal i want.

lol I have read the hole of the this thread :p took ages.

I had this idea of getting the normal ff, and making a clip on thingy to attach onto my belt or guitar strap, this would allow me to switch the pedal on and off by hand and change the settings while moving around if needed. This idea wouldnt be as expensive as building into one of my guitars, plus then i could find which guitar the pedal works best with and mix and match with equipment which work with it.

I bin on the zvex web page as well and looked at the videos on how to use each of them, think this is pedal i want.

lol I have read the hole of the this thread :p took ages.

Just get the Fuzz Probe, better to have the Probe option than not, since they both work in exactly the same way, just the Probe adds more options and more sounds. The FF is just cheaper, thats its only benefit it has.

And I think I said at one point, if you don't like bending down to change settings, then you need to get every pedal your ever going to use build into your guitar, I still stand by that comment, because you won't change the settings on it more than you would do with any other pedal (I play with my DL4 and Small Stone more than my Fuzz Probe)

I needed a multi-effects pedal, especially to get all the delay and phaser effects that Matt uses- and on the pedal-board-thing I got (for about £45 on eBay), it had a really good distortion that, especially when coupled with a bit of compression, sounds just as good as the Fuzz Factory. The multi-effects-pedal-thingy is called a DOD-FX-7. If you see one, I recommend it.

Guest bshuker
To create Matt B's sounds, don't buy an FF, save for a Marshall DSL-100 amp, you'll get the Muse sound from that, not a FF, you'll only get the Eternally Missed solo, The Groove intro and Blackout from buying an FF.

The rest can all be done with the DSL.

And Matt doesn't use his FF much live either, just PIB and New Born these days I think. So you won't gain much there.

Basically as Hypermusician said: The FF is useless for playing Muse, plus its way too transparent (Your guitars natural tone still comes through, just fuzzy as fuck), so you only sound like a fuzzed up version of yourself, not Matt B.

Sorry just after using a DSL-100, I discovered pactically every Muse tone is available from that amp and people paying stupid amounts of money for a FF to sound like Matt B is just stupid and I strongly recommend you don't buy one for that reason.

just like to say that i have the DSL 201 which has exactly the same lead channel, i also have a fuzz factory, and although you can get a pretty damn close sound with the DSL, there is a difference and it is noticeable + the fuzz factory is damn fun and everyone should have one!

i wouldn't bother getting that amp. i said to myself "yeah i'll get the avt..blah blah blah" and then i just went on ebay and bought a TSL100. it's sooooo worth it because it sounds soooo good. recently i just made a discovery of the best sounding tube distortion ever. it's even better than the fuzz factory.. way better! (well except for the oscillation but i can do it with my whammy too) i do own a fuzz factory if you're wondering..

Guest bshuker

dont get the big orrible old dfx, buy a little DSL or TSL tube combo, they sound so much nicer, if you want the effects buy a pedal!

people on here hype it up too much. And using it for one trick is a complete waste of £300 in my opinion.

I agree, but I would say that £300 are too much for a FP, well, imo £300 are too much for every effect pedal(£300+ are only worth for a guitar, amp or a very good multi effects pedal)

search on ebay for a cheap one

or don't buy the FP, don't buy the MG, save a some more money and get the marshall DSL

Just get the Fuzz Probe, better to have the Probe option than not, since they both work in exactly the same way, just the Probe adds more options and more sounds. The FF is just cheaper, thats its only benefit it has.

And I think I said at one point, if you don't like bending down to change settings, then you need to get every pedal your ever going to use build into your guitar, I still stand by that comment, because you won't change the settings on it more than you would do with any other pedal (I play with my DL4 and Small Stone more than my Fuzz Probe)

Or you can just get a multi effects and you never have to bend dwn at all.

well 3 wires fell off my fuzz tonight, been soldering it back up, i'm wondering if there's a dodgey earth connection somewhere and thats whats making it pretty cack... any one have a clue how much postage to send the fucker to zach would cost me??

cheers

Or not, use real pedals and actually do interesting stuff without all the hassle of one (I hate multi-effects units with a passion)

Haha, you only think "real" pedals are what everyone should use ebcause thats the way all guitar purists think and i suppose it will never change. And what do you mean "without all the hassle of one", multi effects take out all the hassle that single pedals produce. And intersting stuff you say? Apart from never eharing any of my stuff if a multi effects can turn on 9 effects at once id call that quite interesting. Id call it quite interesting being able to use and combine different amps without having to spend 1000s of pounds on them. Please dont take this as if im having a go, sinlge pedals are fine if thats what you want and they do have benefits that mutli effects dont have. But i think your hatred of multi effects is unjustified.

Don't know how much the postage would be to get it to zach, but you could send it to me for about £4. I can fix it no probs :)

I'll do it for free just for a chance to A/B it against my clones.

Also, do you have a Probe Haze??

*j

hey thats kind of you :) well my replacement pot will be here any day, so i'll replace that, if its still being shit i'll send it on to you. if you want some photos of the FF circuit board mine is currently in pieces and i'd be happy to take a couple of snaps and email them to you (purely for research purposes ;) )

i think there much just be a dodgey connection or a dodgey component somewhere. the stab pot is definately shit but i dunno if that alone could be the cause...

Haha, you only think "real" pedals are what everyone should use ebcause thats the way all guitar purists think and i suppose it will never change. And what do you mean "without all the hassle of one", multi effects take out all the hassle that single pedals produce. And intersting stuff you say? Apart from never eharing any of my stuff if a multi effects can turn on 9 effects at once id call that quite interesting. Id call it quite interesting being able to use and combine different amps without having to spend 1000s of pounds on them. Please dont take this as if im having a go, sinlge pedals are fine if thats what you want and they do have benefits that mutli effects dont have. But i think your hatred of multi effects is unjustified.

I think it is justified, you just talked a load of bollocks. I just said I don't like using them, as I find them to much hassle compared to the plug'n'play nature of a pedal.

And I wouldn't say I'm a purist, just like things simple, multi-effects are not at all.

And I think my idea of interesting is completely different to yours, combining various amps isn't particularly interesting to me.

Archived