Alysum

Right. I couldn't be bothered sifting through all 42 pages of this thread so I'm just going to ask even though it's a stupid question: Is it worth getting one of these things? ( :eek: BLASPHEMY!) :LOL: No, really. It's going to cost me about 450 Aussie dollars, and for 50 dollars more I could get a Line 6 DM4, which I guess is better value cos it has about 12 different pedals in it. Thats the con. The pro is that the FF is more unique, and I guess they're harder to come by than a DM4 so I'll have a pedal that not many other people have. Opinions please?

DM4 will give you very many not especially good distortion sounds. The Fuzz Factory will give you one or two amazing fuzz distortion sounds. It won't work as your only distortion, you'd have to have an amp distortion or say a Boss DS1 for more standard sounds if you follow the FF route.

DM4 will give you very many not especially good distortion sounds. The Fuzz Factory will give you one or two amazing fuzz distortion sounds. It won't work as your only distortion, you'd have to have an amp distortion or say a Boss DS1 for more standard sounds if you follow the FF route.

Although you can tone the FF down a bit by turning the drive down and rolling back the guitar volume - gets a lovely overdrive:).

You can tell thats come from someone who doesn't have one, especially with the "one or two amazing fuzz sounds" comment. You don't need a DS-1 or amp distortion as well, I only got a DS-1 so I could use "normal" distortion sounds as well as the crazy sounds (Think PIB or Showbiz) because I couldn't be bothered to change the settings all the time

You can tell thats come from someone who doesn't have one, especially with the "one or two amazing fuzz sounds" comment. You don't need a DS-1 or amp distortion as well, I only got a DS-1 so I could use "normal" distortion sounds as well as the crazy sounds (Think PIB or Showbiz) because I couldn't be bothered to change the settings all the time

shit, I hoped it wouldn't be too obvious.

When I next go to London I'll visit a shop there which sells them and try one out.

equipment guru my ass

yes, get the fuzz factory if your ok spending that much money, it's worth it.

deciding whether to "upgrade" to the fuzz probe is another issue...which is talked about a lot in this thread

equipment guru my ass

yes, get the fuzz factory if your ok spending that much money, it's worth it.

deciding whether to "upgrade" to the fuzz probe is another issue...which is talked about a lot in this thread

Well the guy mentions that its cheaper to get a FF than a DM-4, so its worth it, as for upgrading to a FP, its nice to have it there, but you can survive without it, but if you'll be changing the settings alot, then you'll find the Probe more useful.

As I can't ever be bothered to say this again. As for getting a FF or FP, it really depends on your style, I'm personally very experimental as traditional guitar sounds bore me imensely, so a FF/FP suits me. If your after a traditional sound, your better off going for a different pedal (Fuzz Face inparticular), because pedals that do that are cheaper, even though a FF can replicate them. Or just get a decent tube amp (Orange, Marshall, Mesa, Diezal, Soldano) which have excellent distortion channels.

If your buying one because your copying Matt B, prepare to be disappointed, as he only uses it for feedback, not much else and there are others ways of doing pitchshifting feedback if you bother to experiment (Tom Morrelo can manage without a FF).

The main reason I got one was because it gave me the sound I was looking for, the one fingered solute to the traditional distortion sound.

As for the arguement over whether to get a FF or a FP, if you have the money and don't mind spending it, get the FP, its not that much more expensive, its exactly the same as the FF, has the same controls and sound, but with added control that you don't have with the FF, you don't have to use the probe, but at least its there for the occasions you would use it, rather than be sat down on the floor playing with a knob trying to keep your guitar strap on so you can quickly get up again to start playing. Also you don't get the crackle from the Stab knob when using the Probe.

As for getting one built into your guitar, its pointless, as you can control the pitch of feedback with your volume control on your guitar, rendering getting one built in pointless and I've never found a practical use for changing the Comp whilst playing, so the ability to change that is pointless as well.

If your going to buy one, please buy it from your own country as your helping small businesses in your own country, if we keep up with buying stuff off the internet from abroad, we are going to kill off these businesses, which would be a shame.

I hope this helps, the basic line is, don't get one unless its the sound your after, you can do the feedback thing in lots of different ways, you just have to experiment.

Sorry for going on, but I just feel that people are not taking the time to research FFs properly and don't understand what they are buying.

but it from your own conutry??? If I can get it cheaper else where i will, sod them for not sellling it cheap enough!

Well you'll be supporting small businesses in Britain, which must really struggle against bigger companies which can sell cheaper due to scales of economy, so by not buying from a large company and paying the extra money to get it from a small company, your doing a good thing, as it keeps competition in the market, which gets killed off if you only buy from the large companies.

Study A-Level Business Studies, you'll understand what I'm on about

Well you'll be supporting small businesses in Britain, which must really struggle against bigger companies which can sell cheaper due to scales of economy, so by not buying from a large company and paying the extra money to get it from a small company, your doing a good thing, as it keeps competition in the market, which gets killed off if you only buy from the large companies.

i fully understand what your on about, hell, its not a-level standered thinking mate. But the thing is, im not going to pay an extra £100 just to be a nice guy. I mean £100 is a lot to me so if I can get it cheaper then I will. If it were sa £15 i would buy from small UK shops, but the difference is larger :(

i fully understand what your on about, hell, its not a-level standered thinking mate. But the thing is, im not going to pay an extra £100 just to be a nice guy. I mean £100 is a lot to me so if I can get it cheaper then I will. If it were sa £15 i would buy from small UK shops, but the difference is larger :(

The difference is actually quite small, not £100, you lot never appreciate the additional costs on top, you actually save at the most about £50 if your lucky, usually less than that.

People who have got it cheaper were lucky for the price they paid, because I actually paid the same amount for mine as I would have done if I got it imported, I then paid the little bit extra for the paint job.

The difference is hardly of any significance as I spent months trying to find them considerably cheaper, but couldn't.

And the fact you've been studying it for all of what, a year? Makes you a business expert?

My boss tells me the one graduate she would never hire is a business graduate because the think they know it all and haven’t got a clue!

A little small minded maybe but doesn't seem far from the truth.

And the fact you've been studying it for all of what, a year? Makes you a business expert?

My boss tells me the one graduate she would never hire is a business graduate because the think they know it all and haven’t got a clue!

A little small minded maybe but doesn't seem far from the truth.

At what point did I say I was a business expert, I was only pointing out that its a part of whats covered in A-Level Business, I never said I was good at the subject.

Although I have been doing it for 3 years (I done it for GCSE), I got an A in it and two out of the 3 axams, I got full marks and I'm doing pretty much the equivelent at A-Level, so I'd imagine I know one or two things.

So don't start telling me I know nothing about a subject I'm doing extremely well in without ever doing a single piece of work for it.

Lucky fuck, but I never found a FP going for less than £200, so thats what my arguement is based on, I don't much about FF prices as I never wanted one

so how do you kno wmy £100 cheaper statement is false then. If you don't know the prices back to front maybe you shouldn't say anything.

so how do you kno wmy £100 cheaper statement is false then. If you don't know the prices back to front maybe you shouldn't say anything.

Because I spent about 3 months looking at prices for Fuzz Probes, I've never been interested in an FF, the only reason I checked out a Probe was for the theremin, which sounded really cool.

Its quite easy to get a FF cheaper than the asking price here, it just requires some haggling, well more try one out, ask price, look at the staff like :ohmy: then ask if they could come down a bit, if your parents are with you, they definatly will come down in price.

So you may be lucky and get one for £150 (I got £50 off my Probe), instead of rushing off to buy one from America and thinking RRP is a definate price, these are small shops that need to get sales, rather than turn people away for not being prepared to pay the asking price.

Well the guy mentions that its cheaper to get a FF than a DM-4, so its worth it, as for upgrading to a FP, its nice to have it there, but you can survive without it, but if you'll be changing the settings alot, then you'll find the Probe more useful.

As I can't ever be bothered to say this again. As for getting a FF or FP, it really depends on your style, I'm personally very experimental as traditional guitar sounds bore me imensely, so a FF/FP suits me. If your after a traditional sound, your better off going for a different pedal (Fuzz Face inparticular), because pedals that do that are cheaper, even though a FF can replicate them. Or just get a decent tube amp (Orange, Marshall, Mesa, Diezal, Soldano) which have excellent distortion channels.

If your buying one because your copying Matt B, prepare to be disappointed, as he only uses it for feedback, not much else and there are others ways of doing pitchshifting feedback if you bother to experiment (Tom Morrelo can manage without a FF).

The main reason I got one was because it gave me the sound I was looking for, the one fingered solute to the traditional distortion sound.

As for the arguement over whether to get a FF or a FP, if you have the money and don't mind spending it, get the FP, its not that much more expensive, its exactly the same as the FF, has the same controls and sound, but with added control that you don't have with the FF, you don't have to use the probe, but at least its there for the occasions you would use it, rather than be sat down on the floor playing with a knob trying to keep your guitar strap on so you can quickly get up again to start playing. Also you don't get the crackle from the Stab knob when using the Probe.

As for getting one built into your guitar, its pointless, as you can control the pitch of feedback with your volume control on your guitar, rendering getting one built in pointless and I've never found a practical use for changing the Comp whilst playing, so the ability to change that is pointless as well.

If your going to buy one, please buy it from your own country as your helping small businesses in your own country, if we keep up with buying stuff off the internet from abroad, we are going to kill off these businesses, which would be a shame.

I hope this helps, the basic line is, don't get one unless its the sound your after, you can do the feedback thing in lots of different ways, you just have to experiment.

Sorry for going on, but I just feel that people are not taking the time to research FFs properly and don't understand what they are buying.

wow, thats very well written. Well Done.

yes, thanks haze, that's the reason why I want one :)

(for the special fuzz sounds)

btw. how did matt do that effect on blackout(pinkpop 2004),when he makes his guitar wail? did he made that with the stab or with the sound control?

Archived