Alysum

• 1 month later...

I'd say between £150-200 depending on the condition of the finish. (although I'm not really sure if the average buyer is too concerned about that as long as myrold painted the enclosure)

If it's one of the limited edition or sparkle ones, it'll be worth more of course, but I'm guessing it's the standard green one.

I'd say between £150-200 depending on the condition of the finish. (although I'm not really sure if the average buyer is too concerned about that as long as myrold painted the enclosure)

If it's one of the limited edition or sparkle ones, it'll be worth more of course, but I'm guessing it's the standard green one.

It's just one of the standard green ones, but that's all really helpful. Cheers!

Hahaha. Kind of wish I kept it now. They sound better with single coils I reckon. I think i was skint when I had the massive gear purge.

Yeah I agree with that - they're a bit too compressed/smooth with humbuckers. Have to back the gain right off.

How much is my battered sparkle green myrold one worth then? :eyebrows:

• 2 months later...

Is it possible for a Fuzz Factory and DigiTech Whammy IV to work together nicely? Because I have both and depending on where I place them (at the start of the chain and second) but the Fuzz Factory either sounds different when the Whammy is turned on or is permanently messed up. Anyone have any advice?

Not really. I remember having the same problem when I had my old Whammy. They just don't get on. You could have them in different signal paths I suppose, and switch between them, but in terms of having them in series and trying to use them together, I don't think there's any real solution.

• 2 months later...

Is a constant 'hissing' sound normal? I use the fuzz radio setting and whilst I'm not playing, or even when a note is fading, the fuzz factory kicks in a loud hissing noise. I'm playing on a Vox VT120.

• 1 month later...

How do you guys deal with the Fuzz Factory "live" ?

When I'm at a rehearsal or at home, my FF sounds "normal", but at every show I did, It was very difficult to make it sound good (my settings where the Stab is not at 5:00 rarely work). And it's worse in summer.

I heard that this type of fuzz pedal sounds different depending on the heat. Did you notice the same thing ?

If you have your pedals in a different order it will change how the fuzz factory sounds, if, for example, you have it plugged in after a Boss pedal it will sound thinner and more harsh. Try and have the fuzz at the start or near the start of your signal chain

Boss pedals have a buffer in them, more details are here....

http://screaminfx.com/tech/why-and-when-to-use-a-guitar-buffer-pedal.htm

:)

And it's worse in summer.

I heard that this type of fuzz pedal sounds differently depending on the heat. Did you think the same ?

That's interesting. I can't say I've ever noticed any major differences apart from changing the settings. If it could affect the voltage of the battery though, that could make a difference I suppose. No idea about that though. I tend to keep my settings useable as a fuzz distortion on the floor pedal, and then I have the probe and internal for messing about all over the place.

How do you guys deal with the Fuzz Factory "live" ?

When I'm at a rehearsal or at home, my FF sounds "normal", but at every show I did, It was very difficult to make it sound good (my settings where the Stab is not at 5:00 rarely work). And it's worse in summer.

I heard that this type of fuzz pedal sounds differently depending on the heat. Did you think the same ?

I keep posting this shit until someone bites, now i have links too:

http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/products/ppe?variant=1025330384

http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

edit: the combination of the 'questionable' biasing network and the germanium transistors makes the fuzz face and it's boosted copy the fuzz factory really sensitive to temperature changes, it's bias voltages are moving up and down depending on the internal temperature making slight changes in clipping waveform and gain

And that's why I am against germanium transistors. The varying and sensitive nature of them makes me hurl for a difference in tone that far too often gets mistaken as the identity of a circuit. Maybe I just prefer stability in my life. :p

Actually, I always wondered if there was a better way to fix the FF and other pedals without resorting to a transformer or inductor. Maybe I'm just in need of more coffee. Where are my books when I need them?

And that's why I am against germanium transistors. The varying and sensitive nature of them makes me hurl for a difference in tone that far too often gets mistaken as the identity of a circuit. Maybe I just prefer stability in my life. :p

Actually, I always wondered if there was a better way to fix the FF and other pedals without resorting to a transformer or inductor. Maybe I'm just in need of more coffee. Where are my books when I need them?

Different biasing schemes could make it much more independent of temperature (basically you would need smallish resistors on the emitters (that would lower the gain though but then you could raise the feedback resistor which would make the input impedance higher as an added bonus) and a voltage divider on the bases giving a proper voltage bias)

The other problem is the low input impedance (it is something like 8k instead of the usual 100-1000k in pedals) which is the nature of a common emitter setup. It loads down the weak guitar pickup so much it basically filters a lot of highs out that is why putting a buffered pedal or before it makes it more shrill and trebly because the buffer with it's low output impedance can pump your full guitar signal through the fuzz face.

Also that 470/8k2 resistor voltage divider robs you assloads of volume, the FF could be a fucking loud pedal if you would start messing with the ratio of those resistors there.

edit: that thread i linked in the unworthy mods (in my last post i think) thread have tons of great info of FF enhancements

Archived