Alysum

awesome idea, i recorded about 4 octaves of my fuzzfactory (from guitar low E to about the highest note on the guitar) i can share it if someone needs it, made a ni kontakt instrument from it too.

I've quickly made a "The Groove" cover with it, everything is coming from the factory expect the drums. The bass parts have been pitchshifted down an octave because my FF can't oscillate that low.

You could actually make a drum kit using samples from a Fuzz Factory, just set it to a really hissy setting for the snare...

Just bought my Fuzz Factory, and I want to set it up for Supermassive Black Hole and Plug in Baby and so on.. But I don't really understand what they mean.

I've found some settings but I hoped you guys could tell me what they mean:

Vol. Gate. Comp. Drive. Stab.

9 4.5-5 12 4.5-5 4.5-5

10 8 12/1 4-5 4-5

9-10 3 2 5 5

9 7 4 2.5 2.5

Is this based on a scale from 1 to 12, or am I really not getting this?

If there already is a thread for this, please answer me and I can delete this afterwards. (Didn't find any others).

Cheers!

You're probably in the wrong place (KIT and TAB has a thread completely dedicated to this) I would check there and yes 99% of the time people talking about a FF are using O Clock notation + best way to learn is just take time and find settings you like and run with them.

• 2 weeks later...

FUUUUUUU! yea, i bought it a long time ago and as time went on i had a feeling that all FF were not hardwired to an AC outlet.(sort of common sense now, but i was young and naive) I opened my FF up the other day and was wondering, is there any way to make it run on the 9V battery only and not the AC adapter?

FUUUUUUU! yea, i bought it a long time ago and as time went on i had a feeling that all FF were not hardwired to an AC outlet.(sort of common sense now, but i was young and naive) I opened my FF up the other day and was wondering, is there any way to make it run on the 9V battery only and not the AC adapter?

What so you got scammed ages ago and you've only just found out? :LOL:

You could probably have someone rewire it, but tbh it's probably a better idea to just buy a new one...

: L O L :

Yeah, you totally just got ripped. All FFs will run on a 9v battery, and I've heard lots of people say that it (and a lot of pedals, actually) sound better with a battery than with an AC adapter.

Load of bullshit generally, only really applies to germanium style fuzzes such as the FF, but a lot of people like the brighter sound of a fresh battery in a FF, others don't.

Otherwise, adapters for the FF is a waste of time, I've had the same battery in my Probe for God knows how many years now, still sounds fantastic. :happy:

Anyway the stab control controls the voltage going into the pedal so you can imitate a dying battery by just turning it down.

Not really.

As I mentioned, mine has had the same battery in it for years and the Stab control still does the same thing (As in oscillation is completely gone when it is maxed out). It just sounds a lot brighter with a new battery when set like that.

So how is having a dying battery different from having the stab control turned down? I always thought that controlled the voltage in the pedal.

Lower voltage in a circuit wouldn't cause it to start oscillating like that. There are power supplies and pedals with controls for the voltage in the circuit, but they don't behave like that.

I'm not entirely sure either, but there's got to be something else going on.

Load of bullshit generally, only really applies to germanium style fuzzes such as the FF, but a lot of people like the brighter sound of a fresh battery in a FF, others don't.

Otherwise, adapters for the FF is a waste of time, I've had the same battery in my Probe for God knows how many years now, still sounds fantastic. :happy:

:eek: You have a fuzz probe? :awesome:

I was actually talking about Germ fuzzes, for the record ;)

Edit: Forgot they're now doing Vexter series probes...

Well the stab control is just a pot with the 9v supply going into it and the output from that goes straight into the pedal so all it is doing is controlling the pedal voltage. All a fuzz factory is is a fuzz face with a booster before it and a voltage sag.

Fair enough. Just wondering if the voltage sag has a different effect than the actual battery dying or could it just be that the battery really does last an epically long time that the difference between a new one and an old one is minuscule?

:eek: You have a fuzz probe? :awesome:

I was actually talking about Germ fuzzes, for the record ;)

Edit: Forgot they're now doing Vexter series probes...

I have had one for years. :)

Fair enough. Just wondering if the voltage sag has a different effect than the actual battery dying or could it just be that the battery really does last an epically long time that the difference between a new one and an old one is minuscule?

I have had one for years. :)

The current draw from the fuzz factory and most fuzz pedals in general is tiny so they do last for a long long time.

Anyway the stab control controls the voltage going into the pedal so you can imitate a dying battery by just turning it down.

The stab pot is not wired as a voltage divider it is wired as a variable resistance between the battery and the circuit. So what that pot does can be a bit different to actual battery dying.

On the other hand if you wire it as a voltage divider you can set any voltages from 9V to 0V.

BTW a fresh 9v battery starts around 9,5v and goes down to 6v-5v when you throw it away. The tone difference must come from the voltage difference compared to the steady 9v of a wall wart.

Stuff gets even better when you use a non-regulated 9v wall wart which puts out voltages around 11v-13v. So when a non suspecting guy changes his non regulated adapter to a battery it is no wonder that he will hear difference in the sound.

You could probably have someone rewire it, but tbh it's probably a better idea to just buy a new one...

yea, my uncle does electrical wiring and is also a musician so i'm going to see if he can re-wire it to run on the 9V without the power AC adapter.

i'll let you know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
yeah, but for that price, i'd expect it to at least have tubes! having said that, i bet it does sound very harmonically rich and 3D. :facepalm:

what's so special about those transistors? Neil? :ninja:

It destroys all of the crystal lettuce in your rig. What's so special about the transistors, you ask? They look like spam cans, duh...:rolleyes:

Archived