Alysum

Theres nothing in that link you posted, however I'm just going to assume that the different FFs are the standard FF and the handpainted versions?

If so, as far as I know, each FF is the same just with a different enclosure.

Oops! How about now? http://m.guitarcenter.com/New-Gear.gc?internal=1&ipp=15&src=fuzz+factory&x=0&y=0

And I'm guessing so, because the reviews I've read, say they're all about the same.

As far as I'm aware, the circuits inside are exactly the same. It just depends if you want to have a handpainted one instead of an aluminium one for an extra $100 or so. Some people really like that kind of thing.

• 3 weeks later...

For The Groove these are the settings I use but aren't necessarily what Matt uses but it sounds right to me. Vol: 10 Gate: 12 Comp: 12 Drive: 1 or 2 Stab: 11

All the settings are like the face of a clock. Drive and Stab are really what you need to tweak to get it to sound just right. So if my settings don't work for you I would recommend tweaking those knobs. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone give me a first hand summary of how well the FF works with Boss pedals? I know they aren't true bypass, but I've heard that they're generally pretty good at retaining the tone and so on. I know the FF's pretty damn sensitive to things though, so does it still work okay? Mainly thinking of getting Boss Phaser and Delay pedals to be honest..

Awesome...It would be anyway, as I know stuff like Phasers and Delays go toward the end of the chain and the FF likes to be first, but I wasn't sure if there'd be any WH4 style tone loss as a result?

A buffer is there to make sure multiple pedals and patch leads don't degrade your "tone". Some buffers are better than others. Boss are generally considered to be fine, but then i'm personally OK with the WH-4.

There are no rules about where to place effects in your chain. However, pedals which are sensitive to input impedance, such as the FF, will do better at the start of the chain. Unless your guitar's active of course.

So with a FF and my uber metal EMG pups, id be placing the FF toward the end of an efects chain? (although the onyl other pedal is a digitech epression factory which I wouldnt use along with trhe ff) ? :) but if i had a pedalboard id put it at the end?

No. If your guitar is active then the FF won't work anywhere in the chain, unless you find an "impedance buffer" to return the output of your active guitar to a similar impedance level of a passive guitar

That wasn't worded very well but you get the drift

No. If your guitar is active then the FF won't work anywhere in the chain, unless you find an "impedance buffer" to return the output of your active guitar to a similar impedance level of a passive guitar

That wasn't worded very well but you get the drift

So perhaps I should stay away from a FF with my EMG 81/60 combo?

It all depends on the impedence of the signal reaching the input of the FF. If you can get it to look like a normal passive guitar you're OK. Where it's active pups, or a pre-amp, or just a wah, you're lowering the impedence and it needs boosting back up.

There are devices out there but they're not very common.

My basses are active and I use plenty of dirt pedals without any problems. I've not tried the FF but it's well known that it dislikes low impedence inputs - much like the woolly mammoth.

This is probably a really stupid question and I'm sure someone will ask me why I have one if I just want the noise and not the fuzz.. but is it possible to make the fuzz factory do nothing but squeal? So I could use it alongside a distortion pedal as more of an atmospheric sound as opposed to the sound I'm using to add meat to a song? So I could use amp distortion for the driven parts, and not having my playing affect the FF at all.

I'm sure you can't but thought I'd ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently got back into my FF... such a good fuzz, been experimenting with a lot of different settings.

On Dead Star, Matt uses the fuzz (or so Musewiki says :ninja:)- I'll presume the main riff and chorus, but I'm really interested in that tone just after the chromatic whammy solo, a really raw fuzz sound. Is that the FF? It doesn't sound like it, the closest I got was standard 7 7 5 5, less raw though.

Any ideas? Settings/whatever pedal used/sounds like much appreciated :)

Also, anyone with a FF that hasn't printed this-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/onetubetone/Page1-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/onetubetone/Page2-2.jpg

Double post but also, how does everyone run the FF in terms of power? 9V or battery? I use battery as 9V appears to clean up the sound a bit, make it less square wavey and more like a distortion. And the hand painted ones don't have a DC plug.

Only problem is, it sounds progressively worse as the battery progressively runs out.

Archived