Alysum

Hi!

I just got answers back from Mansons.co.uk today concerning the internal FF kit. What do people say? Is it worth getting this kit or simply just buy the normal FF pedal and start from there?

From Mansons:

Regards your questions. The kit is pre wired but you do need to

make some alterations. These are quite tricky so you need to be

confident in your soldering. The knobs that go on the front of the

guitar are the stab and compression controls. The others stay inside the

guitar, you will have to file a groove into the pot tops to adjust with

a screwdriver. Hope this is of help.

Hi!

I just got answers back from Mansons.co.uk today concerning the internal FF kit. What do people say? Is it worth getting this kit or simply just buy the normal FF pedal and start from there?

From Mansons:

Regards your questions. The kit is pre wired but you do need to

make some alterations. These are quite tricky so you need to be

confident in your soldering. The knobs that go on the front of the

guitar are the stab and compression controls. The others stay inside the

guitar, you will have to file a groove into the pot tops to adjust with

a screwdriver. Hope this is of help.

It sounds like the kit is basicaly exactly the same as the normal, just without a box. The standard pots are soldered directly onto the pcb so you'd probably have to remove the stab and comp pots from the board and put wires between the board and pot. Assuming the pots are the same as on the standard FF, you'd also have to swap the other pots for presets. Presets are usualy adjusted with a wierd little piece of plastic which probably explains having to file a groove for a screwdriver.

In re buying kit or normal, if you are sure you want it in a guitar and have some soldering/carpentary skills and good equipment or someone who can do it for you then it is worth it but if you want to experiment first, get the normal one.

and again i shall ask

Where is the closest i can get a fuzz factory next to oxford street in london :/ ? i dont want to travel 3 hours by train to exeter to get a FF ! ><

Oh and yeah, its my first, reading the above im guessing its quite tough to get the internal kit as a begginer...

Hope i can get some help, ty :)

and again i shall ask

Where is the closest i can get a fuzz factory next to oxford street in london :/ ? i dont want to travel 3 hours by train to exeter to get a FF ! ><

Oh and yeah, its my first, reading the above im guessing its quite tough to get the internal kit as a begginer...

don't get the internal kit unless:

1) you are willing to pay Manson to fit it

2) you are confident you can do it yourself

and again i shall ask

i saw one.. in a shop when i was in london.. errrm, lemme think, Denmark Street? off charing cross.. there were a lot of music shops there, and in one of the left hand side i saw a FF.

I started surfing through this thread looking for info on shipping from America to the UK for the Fuzz Probe from Buzzbox.com or any place for that matter.

Has any detailed research been undertaken?

Things that need to be taken into account are:

Cost of the actual item

Shipping Charges

And Import TAX (Goddamn it I hate being charged again at the door by surprise!)

I started surfing through this thread looking for info on shipping from America to the UK for the Fuzz Probe from Buzzbox.com or any place for that matter.

Has any detailed research been undertaken?

Things that need to be taken into account are:

Cost of the actual item

Shipping Charges

And Import TAX (Goddamn it I hate being charged again at the door by surprise!)

Ok, I don't know the actual cost of the items but usualy shipping is $10-$20 and if you ask them to label it as a gift (which many will do) there will be no tax. I'm not sure what the current exchange rate is but for $200, try halving that and adding 10 for the £s. So...... Guitar oasis = FP@$299 + $20 max / 2 + 10 = £170.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I don't know the actual cost of the items but usualy shipping is $10-$20 and if you ask them to label it as a gift (which many will do) there will be no tax. I'm not sure what the current exchange rate is but for $200, try halving that and adding 10 for the £s. So...... Guitar oasis = FP@$299 + $20 max / 2 + 10 = £170.

and that's a goood price

Hi guys, about the Z-Vex internal kit from Manson's. All five knobs are the original ones included with the Fuzz Factory floor unit. They are not replaced with presets because you cannot replace the original pots with any others for some reason. Can't remember who told me this but it was either Manson's or Z-Vex. I read that email you posted which was a reply from manson's and when they say file a groove into the shaft of the pot so it can be altered with a screwdriver, this is where people get confused with presets. They are the standard z-vex pots, but with grooves in them so they can be altered with a screwdriver. Hope that clears things up for people.

Hi guys, about the Z-Vex internal kit from Manson's. All five knobs are the original ones included with the Fuzz Factory floor unit. They are not replaced with presets because you cannot replace the original pots with any others for some reason. Can't remember who told me this but it was either Manson's or Z-Vex. I read that email you posted which was a reply from manson's and when they say file a groove into the shaft of the pot so it can be altered with a screwdriver, this is where people get confused with presets. They are the standard z-vex pots, but with grooves in them so they can be altered with a screwdriver. Hope that clears things up for people.

If they are the originals, why not just adjust them with fingers via the shaft? presumably they aren't all attatched to the PCB or they'd all have to be on the front of the guitar. :confused:

ah, my fuzz probe i bought new from ebay finally came. it was marked at as a gift, but i still had to pay £36.45, which was annoying, but it came to £211.45 in total, so im guessing thats good

its a crazy pedal, noisy as fuck. and advice---NEVER try plugging a microphone in, especially while sitting next to your amp...it gave off the loudest squeal ever, i swear i actually have a headache now...it was fucking painful

the pedal doesnt seem as musically diverse as i would have hoped, but hopefully im wrong, concerning the copper thermin...it kinda seems pointless unless you wanna crackle a bit or make the audiences ear drums bleed with feedback. like i said, hopefully im wrong, and it'll b good

and now im off to check the rest of this thread for advice! cheers

baz

p.s. this pedal is so beautiful!

it's green, but if you look at it closely, its sparkley green. if i had a proper sparkley green one, would it be really obvious (i.e. is a standard green one just matt green?)

lol, have i got a nicer one? ha

uhm...check in the pictures of your setup thread a few pages back and there is Haze015's pedalboard which has a sparklygreen one...

I haven't got one, you bastard ;)

and after all that, it was classed as a gift and i got money off for that, and i got it at a really reasonable price...and no haze, the government, police, etc. wont take it off me and fine my ass....

i paid £212 for mine, new from america...but haze's was £249. hope the extra sparkle was worth £37 more!

Hey ive just ordered a fuzz probe from musictoyz.com. I was wondering if any of you have used that site and how long (about) itll take to arrive.

Cheers Gremmy

ps I live in England and im using UPS air mail.

Archived