CoS : Opera Singer Renee Fleming Tackles Muse & More, Intrigued?

chudenk

Wow, this looks VERY interesting. I'd heard of Renee but never actually heard her sing before. I wish the Guardian clips had started in the middle of the songs instead of the beginning so we could've heard more of her singing, though. Cool that she's singing at the Met and will be in cinemas on May1. I'm going to keep an eye open for that, too.

Found this earlier on youtube. Not sure what to think of it to be honest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI65rdrVTdg

I like it actually! But it's a bit karoke! I expected it to be a different interpretation but her vocal, or at least the way she expresses it, is very similar to Matt's I think. I think she even sounds a little like him in places. Actually that's a little weird but it's because her voice is unusual rather than that Matt's is. Just editing to say, actually I think they both have unusual and very beautiful voices. It's just strange hearing them sing in the same key.

I do actually really like it though. :)

It was a bit too karaoke and monotone? The song didn't seem to go anywhere. I was waiting for an increase in feeling and sound.. and it just never happened. It was disappointing. I think she should have slowed down the song a bit and then where its suppose to get intense, increase the tempo or something! It was BLAH.

It was a bit too karaoke and monotone? The song didn't seem to go anywhere. I was waiting for an increase in feeling and sound.. and it just never happened. It was disappointing. I think she should have slowed down the song a bit and then where its suppose to get intense, increase the tempo or something! It was BLAH.

"... but the moment never comes."

"... but the moment never comes."

QFT. I'm a bit disappointed, too. Her version doesn't have the same feeling as Muse's.

Although I finally listened to her version just now, and her voice really is manlier than Matt's. :LOL:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Can't believe I didn't see this before! I'm not sure what you lot are whinging about, but that was beautiful. Especially the last chorus where she sings backing vocals up an octave. Sent shivers down my spine!

But not very good either. She has an amazing voice but the song is lacking something, I can't exactly say what. I prefer the original.

It's not a faithful cover. Matt uses a plaintive vocal style for this song. It's impossible for girls to do that so low in their range because the plaintive sound becomes muddy and horrible. So she improvised, and I think it sounds really good. :)

Archived